Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

how about the news bashing premium?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member
how about the news bashing premium?

i've seen over the past few weeks that the news is telling people(mainly fox 5) that there is no use or premium gas except to prevent knocking and that modern cars will NOT knock . how stupid of them. if your car says use it, its for a reason. if you keep using the regular you'll get the knocking and a bunch of pissed off people because they didnt spend the extra 40 cents a gallon to keep their car running properly.

anybody else getting annoyed by this? i know using regular here and there wont destroy the car

if im wrong tell me...but as far as i know continuous use of regular on a car that uses premium is just bad news.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:40 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
You are correct and they are correct. The majority of the cars on the road do NOT require premium and only require regular. Putting premium in your car is a waste of money (I've tried it, MPG is no better).

I wouldn't get too worked up about it though. They are trying to save people some money and that's a good thing!

Old 06-02-2008, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
consumer reports says, if it says "premium fuel recommended", you can run regular fuel. but not if it says "premium fuel REQUIRED".

Old 06-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
What about older cars that arent as advanced? Ones that basically NEED premium although not required?

My Mazda recommends 91+. Ive never ran anything under 93oct. I know a few on Mx6.com have ran 87 and 89, then again they were stock. Mine is far from stock and I need 93+. Shes currently on 100oct.

Pretty sure premium isnt going anywhere. If anything, its always a backup fuel when regular and mid grade is gone.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:54 PM
I used mid-grade in my premium-sucking Acura once UNTIL it pinged and smoked. I decided to go back to premium.

Love your sig-pic Ray! Very cool.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:03 PM
5 Year Member
yeah im not saying our fits need it...but you tell a bunch of people who have never opened up their owners manual or learned anything about their car to go use one type of gas...why not explain to them to open up the manual, find out what kind of gas is required or recommended. i would never even bother puttin it in the fit unless i went FI. i think its just bad business to tell people theres no point in premium and not explaining the whole story. most people just dont know anything about gas period.(not sayin im an expert) but they showed a poll afterwards that asked how many people were running their cars on empty almost every day...it was like 57% of viewers drive their cars on empty. i cant count how many people ive had to explain to who are friends and driving older cars that driving it on empty and not using the proper gas is bad news. i told my ex countless times not to run her old jeep on E...she ended up having to get her fuel lines fixed twice in past year, lol...

Old 06-03-2008, 01:33 AM
There's no sense in using it in our Honda Fits, but my '02 and '06 WRXs required it, and I wouldn't use anything else even with modern knock sensors. There's no reason to take a chance on a car that's tuned to run on 91+ octane. I had my '06 WRX tuned for 93 octane, so it was even more imperative that I use 93 and not the 92 octane commonly found in Indiana.

Sure, there's a chance that modern cars that require premium will successfully retard timing so that they can use 87, but in Indiana there's a 20 cent difference between 87 and 93 octane. At $4.00 a gallon that works out to 5 percent. Why lose the power and take a chance for that?