Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

UTI Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 12:15 AM
UTI Question

Im planning on starting at Universal Technical Inst and wanted a little feed back from any alumni. Is it really worth the 30k? and how hard is it to find work after graduating?

Im a little stressed out because i just recently became unemployed and have had no luck so far finding a job. As the bills pile up im freaking out a lill, dont want to lose the fit. I want to be sure going to UTI would be a smart decision.

Any advise wold be helpfull. Thanks in advance.

-Aaron

Old 04-10-2008, 12:17 AM
5 Year Member
ive heard that wyotech, not sure if it's the same as uti, is a waste of time/money, because it's not about credentials, it's about actual real world experience

Old 04-10-2008, 12:28 AM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
ive heard that wyotech, not sure if it's the same as uti, is a waste of time/money, because it's not about credentials, it's about actual real world experience
+1 on that. 6 months in a shop is better experience than any school can give. try to find an apprenticeship. i worked as a motorcycle tech for two years and i learned more about diagnostics and repair than any class could teach me.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:38 AM
RDS
Originally Posted by freaky fit
Im planning on starting at Universal Technical Inst and wanted a little feed back from any alumni. Is it really worth the 30k? and how hard is it to find work after graduating?

Im a little stressed out because i just recently became unemployed and have had no luck so far finding a job. As the bills pile up im freaking out a lill, dont want to lose the fit. I want to be sure going to UTI would be a smart decision.

Any advise wold be helpfull. Thanks in advance.

-Aaron
I heard mixed things about it. The ones where I'm from were okay if you were into domestics apparently, but really had nothing to offer a lot of the new technologies in imports, Asian or German. Take what you will from that, but I'd say pass and find an apprenticeship with a shop if that's an available option for you.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:08 AM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
From what I hear the classes are mediocre. My brother went and then went on to the BMW fast track portion. He is working as a tech and BMW now and making good money.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:13 AM
It's only worth it if you get into one of the manufacturer programs. To spend that kind of money just so you get hired at Monroe Muffler afterwards is not the smartest idea. But if you go into one of the manufacturer programs afterwards (Volvo, BMW, etc) then it is worth it. You can only get into those programs through UTI, and from there you get a huge jump start into field. Say for example that you attend the Volvo program... by the time it is over (a few months) you will most likely have a job lined up at a Volvo dealership. Jobs aren't guaranteed, but in the programs they'll give you the tools and direction necessary to find a job (while training) and if you put some effort into it, getting a job isn't hard. But if you just go to UTI to get the certificate, that's an expensive piece of paper, and you will spend most of the time just trying to repay that.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Ive know people that went to UTI and have worked with people that have gone there. The people I know that have gone there say they didnt learn shit.

They teach you what you already know, just their way of knowing it.
If you have no car knowledge I guess its ok?

When I was a tech apprentice at Dodge/Jeep all the UTI kids thought they were awesome and stuff. Come to find out I had to teach them how to use the tire machines, alignment machines, and balancing machines. It always took them a while to figure it out too. Id get numerous rechecks due to them not balancing them right.

I learned how to use that stuff my first week at Dodge/Jeep. If they spent 30K + shouldnt they have that info in their head?

Old 04-22-2008, 08:26 PM
My Lips Bigger!
5 Year Member
cranberry juice helps...

Old 04-22-2008, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member
Here in AZ we call the students from UTI (Un Trained Idiots) that should sum it up for you??? although I have heard of some success from former students that went there, but they applied themselves to the max