Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Calling all Camera experts!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 09:16 PM
Retired Moderator
Wow tons of great info!
Thanks Snap!

I would plus rep you for that but i have to spread some around first..

Tyler

Old 04-08-2008, 09:23 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
GIVE ME SOME!

Whoring.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:26 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
GIVE ME SOME!

Whoring.
I have to spread some for you aswell..this sucks lol.

Tyler

Old 04-08-2008, 09:31 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
You must never pass it out.
As much as youre online posting Im surprised. Im actually shocked and disappointed.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Retired Moderator
You must never pass it out.
As much as youre online posting Im surprised. Im actually shocked and disappointed.
I only pass out to special, ultra awesome, totally amazing posts/members lol!
Anyway back to Camera talk. Snap Fit, you have PM!

Tyler

Old 04-08-2008, 09:37 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by TOOL
I only pass out to special, ultra awesome, totally amazing posts/members lol!
Tyler
Wheres that put me in your book?

Old 04-08-2008, 09:40 PM
Retired Moderator
Wheres that put me in your book?
An Ulrta awesome, totally amazing member, of course dude! Definetly top 3 fav members on this site FORSURE!

Tyler

Old 04-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Wheew! I gave you some Rep.

So, cameras are cool. I think Im going to use mine this weekend. I want my new lens.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:51 PM
Retired Moderator
Wheew! I gave you some Rep.

So, cameras are cool. I think Im going to use mine this weekend. I want my new lens.
Use it dude! Your photoshoots are BOMB!

Im prolly going to buy this canon tonight or tomorrow. Then P-shoots gallore, but i need good locals!

Tyler

Old 04-08-2008, 09:59 PM
I was in the exact same boat last year. SLR and lots of $ or point and shoot with the option of changing lenses.
I checked the specs on the one you posted and it really is a great deal for that camera (I would buy it)

I do a lot of close ups (flowers insects etc) but not serious enough to pay the big bucks. The macro on the Canon is great at .39". Just make sure you can live with the 9.8' flash.

I went with the Sony DSC H5 because I can change lenses, filters, etc. It is 12x with a 3" screen and can be used fully manual. The flash goes to 16' - which for me was a factor in purchasing BUT it is not so good because med distance pics - are TOO bright and the amount of flash can only be adjusted in manual mode.

I am now looking for something tiny for my pocket and honestly I would buy a Canon. My sister has a tiny Canon that was pricey but takes amazing pictures - the night pics are amazing.

Anyway, just my 2 cents to offer. Good luck and happy shooting!

Old 04-08-2008, 10:13 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by FITs2aT
I was in the exact same boat last year. SLR and lots of $ or point and shoot with the option of changing lenses.
I checked the specs on the one you posted and it really is a great deal for that camera (I would buy it)

I do a lot of close ups (flowers insects etc) but not serious enough to pay the big bucks. The macro on the Canon is great at .39". Just make sure you can live with the 9.8' flash.

I went with the Sony DSC H5 because I can change lenses, filters, etc. It is 12x with a 3" screen and can be used fully manual. The flash goes to 16' - which for me was a factor in purchasing BUT it is not so good because med distance pics - are TOO bright and the amount of flash can only be adjusted in manual mode.

I am now looking for something tiny for my pocket and honestly I would buy a Canon. My sister has a tiny Canon that was pricey but takes amazing pictures - the night pics are amazing.

Anyway, just my 2 cents to offer. Good luck and happy shooting!
Thanks for the helpful post. i really appreciate the info. Im a total noob to the cam world so any info like you posted is great!

Tyler

Old 04-08-2008, 10:27 PM
Before I had my Nikon d50 I used a konica minolta dimage z6 which is pretty much a point and shoot with a larger lens which was actually great had alot of versatility and pretty good lens for a point and shoot. Kodak makes some cheaper ones.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:55 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by TOOL
Use it dude! Your photoshoots are BOMB!

Im prolly going to buy this canon tonight or tomorrow. Then P-shoots gallore, but i need good locals!

Tyler
I need my lens first.
I removed my grille though. It kinda looks the same. Hahaha!

Old 04-08-2008, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
even in full auto mode, which is basically what i shoot in all the time, you'll get awesome pictures.

don't waste your money on a point and shoot camera. a 20 megapixel point and shoot will take shit pictures compared to my 8 megapixel DSLR.

it's not about teh MP, it's about the sensor and glass. with the DSLR, you can upgrade teh glass and have a baller setup. but a point and shoot, you're stuck with what you have.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
Just saw this thread now. One other good place for camera reviews is Steve's Digicams - Main Menu Very down to earth reviews compared to Imaging Resource (which is great too; I like both), and lots of sample pics that are a bit more 'real world' than IR. Best thing to do is to go there, read the reviews for each camera, then view/download the sample pics and play around with them -- print them out and compare, play with them in PS if you have it, view them side by side (Steve uses the same subjects for almost all sample shots), etc. There's nothing better than the sample images to answer your question 'cause you can see it for yourself directly. Me, I've got an XTi right now, but have a 40D coming to replace it tomorrow. Prior to the XTi I had a Nikon 880 P&S that I used for 6-7 years, plus a tiny Canon Ixy P&S that I gave to my wife, and before those a Fuji FinePix MX700. The P&S were nice, but never really gave me the flexibilty that I used to have in my film SLR's. When it was time to move on, I went DSLR b/c I wanted that back and the prices are right these days. I'll probably never go back to a P&S anytime again, but they have their place. One thing in their favor over DSLR's though -- they're compact and easy to carry, and having a mediocre compact camera that you actually carry and use always gives you much better pics than a heavy, pro-quality camera that you never carry and don't take any pics with.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member
i totally agree. i take my 350d everywhere. i feel naked without it LOL

Old 04-09-2008, 03:20 AM
talk about feeling "bare" without one on ya, here is a funny situation you guys might get a kick out of-

I am practically never out and about w/o a camera, this usually consists atleast of a shoulder bag (pack, harness, holster, sling, whatever you prefer) and if I have to lean forward or bend forward for whatever reason I slide/wave my arm back to hold or reposition the bag so it doesn't slide forward. However in the odd few times I dont carry one or my pack is in a different position it just looks like I am fanning after breaking wind!!!
We can thank the GF for pointing that out while we were in a grocery store.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:24 AM
I just want to clear up a few things its not the size of your camera or lens its how you use it (sorry had to...uber cliche )

From working knowledge/experience and observation-

I see more dissatisfied (whether its initial or not) users of SLR's and DSLR's than P&S's
This can be from many factors such as-
*steep learning curve
*less initial saturation
*less initial sharpening
*weight
* and many other possible reasons...

Yes SLR's and DSLR's are very versatile, but thats not to say that P&S's are not.

-Many P&S's are/have-
-more convenient
-very versatile fast glass, which is either absurdly impractical/impossible in
an SLR type configuration or absurdly costly (how often do you see a 35-400mm f/2.8 zoom in a bayonet mount?)
-viewable real time images (not many slrs have that nor is it as convenient at this time)
-easier long DOF control, especially at closer distances
-lighter
-Far less expensive and very capable stabilization
-less conspicuous (when need be)
-ability to shoot in cramped quarters
-ability to ramp up percieved scale
-ability for lens adapters for macro, wide, telephoto
-easy and quick to learn on
-good/decent low ISO noise
-articulated LCD screens (not many slrs have that and usually no where near as articulated)
-cheaper under water housings
-creative in camera stuff (how do you like that for vague...haaahaa, DSLR's have these too but have only more recently have they been gaining prominence)
-and many, many more....

Having said all that ^^^ an SLR type configuration still offers more versatility for a plethora of reasons. But that is not to say it's better just because of them.

They both have huge positives and huge negatives but with the right intent both can and most likely will be amazing. Exploit each strong point, and note the faults.

Last edited by Snap Fit; 04-09-2008 at 04:26 AM. Reason: super funky typo....YIKES!!!!
Old 04-09-2008, 11:30 PM
Retired Moderator
Just pulled the trigger on the canon SX100is, ive seen enough awesome sample pics that i knew it was the right cam for me. Ill let you know how i like it when it gets here.
I have to thank Snap Fit for all his expert cam help in PMs. Really learned alot about photograhy from him!

Tyler

Tyler

Old 04-09-2008, 11:44 PM
My Lips Bigger!
5 Year Member

Quick Reply: Calling all Camera experts!