Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

What to do with my old car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
What to do with my old car?

My old car is a 1996 Geo Prizm. It has 177xxx miles on the engine, and it's been out of service for a month or so now. That's why I bought my Fit. It started out with not wanting to start in the snow and rain. Then when I was all set to replace wires/plugs/distributor cap, but then when it would start it would have oil running down the front of the engine. Bad seal or bad head or worse, not sure. Then some d#ckheads stole the battery and cut the positive wire off, so now I can't even get it to the mechanic for a real chance to solve all the problems. My problem is that I don't want to get rid of it, but don't think it's worth fixing. I drive 50 miles a day to and from work, and DON'T want all those miles going on my new Fit. Plus I'm broke now with the car payment and insurance for the Fit. Think the Geo is worth trying to fix in order to drive it to work? It's not worth anything. Lots of body damage (I've been hit 4 times, no at faults), and the rear suspension needs to be replaced. But once again, I put 80xxx miles on it in about four years, and I really don't want to do that to the Fit.

Any advice? Thanks.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
Quite the situation you got there. I don't think there's much you can do, especially if money's tight and the Geo's engine is leaking oil from somewhere. You might find a Prizm in a junkyard or similar, but beyond that it'll probably be $$ to fix. :-\

Old 04-03-2008, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah. I think I may have to junk it/part it etc and hope I get my new job and just buy a rust bucket for like 1k and drive it to work until it won't run anymore. Wash rinse repeat?

Old 04-03-2008, 11:53 PM
5 Year Member
so easy to replace the positive wire and the battery.i say make your fit a garage queen and daily the GEO

Old 04-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Drive the Fit, that's what you bought it for. It's not like this car is an NSX. I would say keep the Geo only if you were gonna do all the engine work yourself. I'm also gonna guess that the fit gets better mileage than the geo so in reality it will cost less to drive and you won't have to have 2 cars insured.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Donate it and get yourself a tax break

Old 04-04-2008, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
The Geo when it was working was getting like 22 on the highway, if that. 25 bucks would last maybe for half a tank. 25 in the Fit rolls me all week.

I guess the Geo is just gonna be chillin' for a while longer in it's parking spot. Maybe I can part it out to some Toyota owners.