Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

route 66 road trip??

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 02:29 AM
5 Year Member
route 66 road trip??

a couple of questions:

i feel like taking a road trip at some point (by myself, for some thinkin' time) and i'm considering a journey along route 66. i live just north of chicago so i could hop on fairly easliy.

i'm just wondering if anyone else has done this recently and if you have, is it worth it? i would love to do this pretty much for nostalgia sake and don't really know what's left of it as far as landmarks, destinations, etc. but especially the illinois stretch.

any input, memories, ideas are greatly appreciated

Old 04-06-2008, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member
I live in Illinois (just opposite of St. Louis) and the part of RT 66 that passes through here is ugly, goes through little redneck villages with bowling shops and warehouses. Can't speak for all of it, but just around where I live. But depending on where you are, the Great River Road that runs along the Mississippi is really great. Gives you views of the river, river boats, forested river valley, eagles can be spotted etc. Really nice.

From Chicago, shoot west to the river and then south. Or come down on Rt 66, then shoot back north on the River Road and then east back to Chicago. A nice tour of the state of Illinois. If you come down this way, shoot me a PM!

Damn, that sounds like a good idea. I should do that.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:07 AM
5 Year Member
that sounds like a fantastic idea, actually. it's sad that illinois doesn't really have much as far as terrain goes to make a scenic drive a bit more interesting, but the route you mentioned sounds great.

i just might try to get some time off to do this, thanks