Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

T/W:Buying a NJ car with a salvage title

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 05:48 PM
T/W:Buying a NJ car with a salvage title

Hey guys.

My girlfriends coming from Florida for me in NJ and I need to buy her a car. Nothing crazy something in the 3000 or less range but still not a hunk of junk. standard or auto. i can teach her stick. shes a trooper.

so i seen a 98 subaru forester on ebay with decent mileage and it has a salvage title. it says in 2003 it got in an accident and thats all. its from a dealer in nj. pics look fine. nothing out of ordinary. i called and the person doesnt know what was damaged. they have a great ebay rating. guy says it drives fine NO problem, and can test drive it at any time. he says NOTHING is wrong with it. "cough cough"

if the car ends up to be just fine, and for a decent price i might just get it. it even has a new inspection sticker to 12/09

NOW my issue is WOULD NJ or whatever DMV motor vehicles be able to register that car? ive never been able to deal with it.
i called my insurance (geico) and asked them same shit, and they say its no problem insuring, but the issue might be registering it with nj dmv
what needs to be done or what processes. I know all states are different.
do you know where im getting at?

~abe

Old 03-04-2008, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
Salvage Title

Going through the same thing...

You need to get a Reconstructed Title for the car to "road worthy". You have to file a form that tdocuments what parts were replaced and the itemized cost of each part, as well as reciepts. Check this:
http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/About/OS-61.pdf

If you don't have that, then you must have picture of the before and after for documentation. Then, you would need to obtain an inspection of the vehicle for "road worthiness". There's a $200.00 fee and this must be scheduled.

For more info, check out the following links:
New Jersey Salvaged Vehicle Regulations and Consumer Protections - DMV.ORG

Old 03-04-2008, 07:21 PM
Retired Moderator
Look for a "Stolen Salvage" instead of a crash salvage. When a car gets in a crach and then they put it back together they are never the same as before the crash. They make weird noises, and are not always put together with best quality which can be dangerous on the open road.
A stolen salvage is a car that was stolen, recovered by the police and never found its owner. So they sell them. Bought my teg a stolen salvage and got a killer deal, and its a GREAT car. Runs perfect in pretty sweet condition.
Just do your research on AutoTrader. Also i would recommend getting Honda or Acura, they tend to run forever. They dont cost much to own or buy, and they are very well put together cars. if you up you search to 5k you will find many nice used Hondas. Good luck!

Tyler

Old 03-04-2008, 11:20 PM
YEAH GUYS.
ITS A WASTE OF TIME. JUST WAS seeing what really was involved.
i actually did find all that info about the beore and after pic. but i wont have it.
seems to much of a hassle. ohhh wellllll

for 1500 bucks i will prob get a black 96 maxima w/180,000 with new nitto tires i got them for free about a year ago,

(this was all done within 2 thousand miles)shocks, struts, springs,all pads and rotors, new clutch and pressure plate, throwout bearing. (still not even broken in yet) front and rear bumpers were resprayed with hood and trunk and fenders.

i put in this pretty good pioneer head a while ago. its with a shitty amp and single rockfart sub that was in it when we got it.

ill buy it from my dad. he got the car dirt cheap a over a year ago, and even then it sat almost a year at my house but it needed alll that work that was done to it just as of now. its just sitting but id rather her drive an easier car than the maxima. still drives a lil funnny.
he was planning to sell it for 2500 but hell give me the homie hoook up for 1500....you think thats goood?
i wanted a bigger car for her. but 1500 for a car i trust isnt that bad.
i think all it needs is an 02 sensor cuz the check enginie light is on

jersey cityy sun!
nice bubble back

Old 03-04-2008, 11:21 PM
really isnt worth buying a salvage car anyways if you dont even know what happened to it. nor knew who owned it previously to you