Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Help me pick my wedding band!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 06:25 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Help me pick my wedding band!

I'll be getting married in April and guess I should probably pick out my wedding band. I'm looking for something with a darker (perhaps gunmetal) color. I don't want yellow gold and I'm really not much for jewelry. But obviously I LOVE cf!

These are the two bands I'm leaning towards. What do you guys think about either of these?

Any other suggestions, advice, etc??

BOMANI Tungsten Carbide Carbon Fiber Ring

Tungsten Carbide Silver Inlay Wedding Band Ring

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-24-2008, 03:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kelmar
I'll be getting married in April and guess I should probably pick out my wedding band. I'm looking for something with a darker (perhaps gunmetal) color. I don't want yellow gold and I'm really not much for jewelry. But obviously I LOVE cf!

These are the two bands I'm leaning towards. What do you guys think about either of these?

Thanks in advance!
first off, congrats!!

second: looks-wise i like the BOMANI one better (as far as my boyfriend goes, that's totally his style, too). the second one does look much more like a general wedding band.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:43 AM

Thanks in advance!
Congrats.. I got married last month so i know what your goin through. I was looking at the first one but my wife said "No way". I really like it though. The one i saw was at Kays jewelers but im sure its the same ring. Imo tungsten is the only way to go. I work on airplanes and i always wear my ring. It has taken some pretty bad abuse in only a month and it shines up like its brand new. Not a scratch on it. Good luck with everything.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:50 AM
5 Year Member
I personally like the Bomani...the finish on it is more BLING BLING

Old 02-24-2008, 05:14 AM
5 Year Member
bomani is real nice...

Old 02-24-2008, 09:54 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
That's the one that I'm leaning toward the most and she's totally cool with it! Bonus points for her!

jdjohnson9 - Did you have any drama with the in-laws trying to get anything planned? Also, I've heard to order 1/2 size smaller then what I'd normally wear because tungsten sizes on the large size, can you confirm?

Old 02-25-2008, 02:47 AM
That's the one that I'm leaning toward the most and she's totally cool with it! Bonus points for her!

jdjohnson9 - Did you have any drama with the in-laws trying to get anything planned? Also, I've heard to order 1/2 size smaller then what I'd normally wear because tungsten sizes on the large size, can you confirm?
Oh yes the in-law drama was there. We said screw it and went to the courthouse instead of having a ceremony. That really set them off. haha. Oh well they are fine now though. The ring size i actually went up a half size. The jewelers that i went through told me about finger size going up and down a small bit during winter and summer months so its better to go a small bit up then have one that fits perfectly. Mine is a tad bit large but i got it during winter. Apparently during the summer your fingers swell just a bit. I talked to 2 jewelers cause i thought it was the stupidist thing i have ever heard but they both agreed on it. From what i understand most you have to special order as well so you will have to wait a couple weeks to get it in seeing that most jewelers only keep a limited stock on hand. All these are the findings that i dealt with when i went ring shopping. Hope it helps out.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:58 AM
5 Year Member
Congrats, personaly I would go for Bomani. It add +5 relationship powers . Joking aside I think that would it be easier to match. But what do I know

Old 02-25-2008, 08:24 AM
5 Year Member
wtf I just dropped $8k on a engagement ring and us guys get like a $200 ring. TOPS! Something has to change here lol

Old 02-25-2008, 12:18 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by dank24
wtf I just dropped $8k on a engagement ring and us guys get like a $200 ring. TOPS! Something has to change here lol
Lol, no shat! I always point that out whenever she tells me she wants me to buy her something.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:25 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by jdjohnson9
Oh yes the in-law drama was there. We said screw it and went to the courthouse instead of having a ceremony. That really set them off. haha. Oh well they are fine now though. The ring size i actually went up a half size. The jewelers that i went through told me about finger size going up and down a small bit during winter and summer months so its better to go a small bit up then have one that fits perfectly. Mine is a tad bit large but i got it during winter. Apparently during the summer your fingers swell just a bit. I talked to 2 jewelers cause i thought it was the stupidist thing i have ever heard but they both agreed on it. From what i understand most you have to special order as well so you will have to wait a couple weeks to get it in seeing that most jewelers only keep a limited stock on hand. All these are the findings that i dealt with when i went ring shopping. Hope it helps out.
I guess in a weird way, it's nice to know it's just not me. We (meaning her parents) have agreed to 3 different places, put deposits down and 2 weeks later changed their minds about what we are "allowed" to do. My parents have said they'd pay for it but it would be in FL, where they live, not in CA where we (at least for now) and her parents live. Her mom flew of the deep end when she heard that. This last time (exactly a week ago), my fiance was SURE that her parents were actually going to follow through with it. But sure enough when we put the deposit down they yelled at her and told her that it wasn't going to happen. My fiance lost it and was hysterically crying for 3 hours. At that point we said F-it.

So we're doing Vegas and whomever can make it great; whomever can't, great. Her mom is really really really pissed of at us/me.

Hmmm, that throws me for a loop now. I guess just make sure the ring is comfortable???

Old 02-25-2008, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
I think you're on the right track. My wifes parents live in Ohio and mine in South FL...so we got married in North Geoargia. Best plan is to piss off everyone equally. At least that way you're not playing favorites.

Oh, most importantly remember it's first your wifes day, then yours...no one else matters. Pick a place that she likes and you can tolerate.

I just went low enough budget that I could pay for the whole thing so that we didn't need any of them. After I paid for the WHOLE thing (dress, flowers, weading chapel, officiant, rehearsal dinner, reception, etc) her Dad stepped up and wrote us a big check. I think he appreciated the fact that 1. I could pay for it and 2. we didn't do things that were expensive just because it was his money instead of ours.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Old 02-25-2008, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member
Oh, in my case marriage meant gaining weight. So easy to do when you're all a sudden happy to just go to dinner, come home and watch tv. I quickly "out grew" my first ring and had to get a larger one (yes, your fingers get bigger when you gain weight). Unfortunately, none of the exotic metals (tungsten, platinum, etc) are re-sizeable. I'd go slightly larger over smaller. You can put a small piece of rubber tubing in the base to make up room if you have to, but you can't make them bigger.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:31 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by GAFIT
I think you're on the right track. My wifes parents live in Ohio and mine in South FL...so we got married in North Geoargia. Best plan is to piss off everyone equally. At least that way you're not playing favorites.

Oh, most importantly remember it's first your wifes day, then yours...no one else matters. Pick a place that she likes and you can tolerate.

I just went low enough budget that I could pay for the whole thing so that we didn't need any of them. After I paid for the WHOLE thing (dress, flowers, weading chapel, officiant, rehearsal dinner, reception, etc) her Dad stepped up and wrote us a big check. I think he appreciated the fact that 1. I could pay for it and 2. we didn't do things that were expensive just because it was his money instead of ours.

GOOD LUCK!!!
Thanks! Yeah, I'm totally laid back and have let her do what she wanted. Her parents are refusing to be there (even though she and I both know they'll come). Her mom is calling her and emailing her telling her what a horrible daughter she is, etc. Nothing but drama through this whole thing.

We figured Vegas would be fun for everyone. She's got friends who live there and I used to live there. As you mentioned, this way everyone has to travel and it's equally a pain for everyone.

Even though I'm paying for it, I don't expect a check from her parents for it and would probably refuse it if they were to offer it. We're both just happy that it's finally happening!

Good idea about the spacer in the ring!

Old 02-25-2008, 01:48 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
def the 1st one

Old 02-25-2008, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
Gah! Everyone likes the first one because it is CF! Get Mugen on there somehow and it would sell like hot cakes! I would go with the second one.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Any reason why? Just wondering....

Old 02-25-2008, 02:03 PM
First congrats on getting married

Second. Just a heads up...when picking a tungsten carbide ring, just becareful. When I uses to work at a hospital, I have seen cases when people have come into the ER with injuries and their arm/hand swelled up while wearing one of these rings. A regular gold or silver rnag can be easily cut off...a titanium or a tungsten ring cannot be cut off, and the people have lost a finger because of that. This has happend on more than one occasion. One case where a person came in from a simple car accident, their hand got injured and the doctor could not get the ring off his hand. The ring cut circulation to the finger, and the finger essentually "died" and had to be cut off. Now God forbid you get injured, but just a heads up.....tungsten and titanium rings CANNOT be cut off in case of injury. Yea the materal does have it's advantages that it cannot be scratched easily, but it has drawbacks for the same reasons.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:15 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Thanks!

Thanks for the heads up as well. I know that this was my biggest hold back in regards to this kind of ring. The fiance and I discussed this and I decided that it would be a risk I would be willing to take.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
Any reason why? Just wondering....
Me? It's nothing against CF. I just like the simplicity of the second ring better. I am not a huge fan of either really. And I cannot stand wearing jewelry, but when I get married I will most likely get a simple platinum wedding band.

Quick Reply: Help me pick my wedding band!