Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Help me pick my wedding band!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 02:21 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
I dislike jewelry as well. I figured if I have to wear one it might as well be something that reflects my likes. These have been the only 2 I could even imagine myself ever wearing.

Thanks for the honest answer!

Old 02-25-2008, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
i really like the first one!! I have to show my boyfriend that one or maybe a heat treated titanium one...that would be hottt!

Old 02-25-2008, 02:37 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Heat treated as opposed to a regular titanium one??? What's the difference.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kelmar
Heat treated as opposed to a regular titanium one??? What's the difference.
a heat treated one is like different colors, i think? i got my bf a heat treated titanium zippo so i think thats the only difference...i'll try to find a pic

see it changes colors instead of just silver

Last edited by FITfetish; 02-25-2008 at 03:01 PM. Reason: posted pic
Old 02-25-2008, 03:04 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
oh, ok, cool.

Not my style for a ring, but def. cool!

Old 02-25-2008, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member
oh, ok, cool.

Not my style for a ring, but def. cool!
haha yea, idk if it even comes in a wedding band like that lol but good luck with ur selection and congrats!!

Old 02-25-2008, 03:14 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Thanks!

Old 02-25-2008, 04:42 PM
5 Year Member
Best advice I can give for planing a wedding & buying rings

Kelmar, CONGRATULATIONS!

I know that carbon is hot now, but for how long?! You might get over it at some point and regret latter. Just like tattoos! (no offense to tattoo lovers!)

Simplicity rules! Go for second one!

Titanium rings can’t be resized so go with a size or half size larger. They can put titanium beads on the inside diameter to prevent slipping and loosing it. As you grow older and your fingers and joints swell, jewelers can shave those beads to give you more room!
Buy rings online from “Titanium Era” or other reputable sites. Engagement rings will cost you up to ½ off retail stores! Wedding bands are even more affordable!

I like what I read so far! Fit people are smart people!

Kelmar, I do not wont to threadjack your post, but I have to get it off my chest for everybody’s sake who is not married or engaged, yet!

If a woman throws an engagement ring back at you saying it is not expensive enough or stone is too small – take it back and drive as far and as fast as you can away from her! That mentality will burry you in a long run and doom that marriage before it even starts.
I have a friend who took it back and got a larger stone. His brother and all his friends (me included) are pulling our hair out! They got married despite the fact that they were physically fighting from the moment they met each other. He came out to meet us with cuts and bruises on more than one occasion! I even witnessed one fight where they threw their wedding bands at each other and said things to each other no two human being should, even as bitter enemies let alone married couple! They are drowning their dissatisfaction by leasing expensive cars and buying fancy things putting themselves into even more debt. Now we hear rumors that she is pregnant. God help that baby.

Guys, if you really love each other, but are not good for each other, be honest with each other and stay on a friendship level only! Do not hurt each other and others around you by going forward. Follow your gut feeling!

Wedding plans?!
I have seen so many great couples in divorce proceedings because they started their marriage with a $30-50K wedding debt! One night expense!!!
It just buried them even though they were perfect for each other!
If your parents are paying for it ask them to make that check out to you two instead and put it into ING High Yield Orange Savings Account or equivalent (I am sure fellow FF members can get you even better advice on this one than I can.)!
Or use it for a down payment on a house purchase, but work smart! It is a buyers market, but market has not reached the bottom yet!
Do not buy cars and luxuries with that money instead! You can take equity loan from the house and buy cars and luxuries for 1/3 interest than the best car payment!
Use your credit cards for purchases you can repay quickly, only! Do not stack up debt on them! Even if you are paying them regularly, banks end up being bought by other banks and jack up the interest overnight! They just send you a letter with a small fine print letting you know about the acquisition and that you can pay out what you owe and close your card if you do not agree to the terms. If you have few thousand bucks on the card you won’t be able to pay them off easily!
Get an account with a Credit Union instead of a bank! Fees are much smaller if any at all and you can bank online. Credit Unions are everywhere, so check their terms. All loans (especially car loans) are much more affordable in terms than with banks!

Wedding itself should be the best day of your lives and for you two only!
It is not your parents show off night where they will invite people you have never seen in your life before, or after the wedding!
Do not feel pressure to please your parents by agreeing to what they wont even if you are not OK with it. YOU plan and decide on it! I have seen best friendships severed because bride and groom could not invite them since there was no room because parent’s “friends” took priority! It is your wedding and your own friends take priority!

I am Croatian. I know all about those “pressures”.
We are like Italians or other Latinos. Passionate and hot tempered. Traditions are big thing. 300-500 people wedding parties are common. Parents show time all the way!

Wedding on a tight budget?
FYI, my father was diagnosed with a cancer and had only weeks to live. We had to work fast! We had an August wedding in Lake Tahoe on the open overlooking the beautiful Emerald Bay! One weekend we went to Tahoe to interview everybody and put deposits down. Two weeks latter we were married!
Minister (B.J. Mackintier-I hope I spelled it right!) brought videographer and photographer. Photographer deal was for 36 pics, but she ended up taking our camera to keep shooting! Two tier cake was ordered in Lake Tahoe’s Safeway for $50. Bridal bouquet and all other flowers and buttoners were from a local flower shop, too. Dinner was in Lake Tahoe Golf Club Clubhouse! It was the cheapest venue by far believe it or not! Awesome menu and great staff, too! Very accommodating! Tuxedos were rented and my wife’s dress was purchased in David’s Bridal for $100! Yes, $100! It looked great! Her gloves were more expensive ($150)! We rented a house on Nevada side just above the golf course for a week! It slept 18 people!
We spent less than $4K for everything!!!! That was in 2002.
Pictures & video came out great! Cake was awesome. Restaurant at the Club House was awesome. Florist was terrific! Everybody was so eager to help us out and they all went 10 extra miles to make sure we get what we asked for, but ended up giving us so much more!
Most importantly my father got to witness at least one of the two things what he has hoped for his entire life.

If you decide to follow our suit in Tahoe PM me and I will dig up all the info for you.

Be smart! One night might be the greatest, but debt will follow you for years!

Ivan

Old 02-25-2008, 06:36 PM
Am I bad that I didn't read that WHOLE post??
Kelmar,
Congratulations! Personally, love the titanium ring - "manly, but I like it tooo" I don't think you'd ever get sick of it, it's black for gods sake!! - goes with anything. And losing a finger? ah, you have a spare right?

I feel for ya with the family, family can definitely suck sometimes. We combined our last names (creating a new one). We tell people we didn't want to be part of either family

Don't spend too much on rings - they don't buy you love. Our rings were $100 for both (because I made them in a dental lab) and we only paid cost for the gold (28 years ago) AAAAKKKK

Best damn husband I've ever had......(of course I drink more now)

Old 02-25-2008, 06:48 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
ciburri - great advice! The entire wedding, and I'm paying for the whole thing, will cost me less then $1000. That's everything from out plane tickets there to the rings, to the dress, to a place to stay, etc. I'm considering myself lucky. As you said you understand, her family IS italian, sigh.... Thank you for sharing!

Squirrely - Lol at the drinking more and thanks! Both she and I are just happy that this is finally happening! We've been trying to get this to happen for over 2 years now.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:08 PM
yeah I like the second one too. I'm getting married april 5th and have experienced all the drama above so I feel you pain. Remember you are going to be wearing this ring (hopefully) for the rest of your life. CF is a cool but you might not be feeling it 25 years from now. I went with a plain yellow gold band. To each his own!

Congrats on getting married!!!

PS~just got back from the b-party in Vegas, lost about a $1000 on what could have been better spent on my fit

Old 02-26-2008, 08:12 AM
I guess in a weird way, it's nice to know it's just not me. We (meaning her parents) have agreed to 3 different places, put deposits down and 2 weeks later changed their minds about what we are "allowed" to do. My parents have said they'd pay for it but it would be in FL, where they live, not in CA where we (at least for now) and her parents live. Her mom flew of the deep end when she heard that. This last time (exactly a week ago), my fiance was SURE that her parents were actually going to follow through with it. But sure enough when we put the deposit down they yelled at her and told her that it wasn't going to happen. My fiance lost it and was hysterically crying for 3 hours. At that point we said F-it.

So we're doing Vegas and whomever can make it great; whomever can't, great. Her mom is really really really pissed of at us/me.

Hmmm, that throws me for a loop now. I guess just make sure the ring is comfortable???
Haha. Yea that story kinda reminds me of what the wife and all the parents went through. What a mess. We didnt even have to get to the whole putting money down thing cause me and the wife were already sick or the whole planning thing and thats when we winged it and went to the courthouse.

Yea i guess the moral of my last huge post was comfort. Thats the best thing seeing that tungsten cant be resized. If it gets tight or loose you have to order a whole new ring and most warrantys only cover 1 sizing so you would have to buy a whole nother ring. Have fun in Vegas. Thats where me and the wife should have went to but we didnt have the time.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
I'll be getting married in April and guess I should probably pick out my wedding band. I'm looking for something with a darker (perhaps gunmetal) color. I don't want yellow gold and I'm really not much for jewelry. But obviously I LOVE cf!

These are the two bands I'm leaning towards. What do you guys think about either of these?

Any other suggestions, advice, etc??

BOMANI Tungsten Carbide Carbon Fiber Ring

Tungsten Carbide Silver Inlay Wedding Band Ring

Thanks in advance!
Which ever ring you get try to get the comfort ring style. It almost feels like not wearing a ring.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:21 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by smeister
Which ever ring you get try to get the comfort ring style. It almost feels like not wearing a ring.
Lol, that's a GOOD thing!

Thanks for the help/advice all!!

Old 02-26-2008, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
Echoing Ciburri, the CF is hawt but the other one is timeless.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:09 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Thanks for your help everyone. I ended up getting the cf one.

It looks sick!!! I'm glad I went with it.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:06 AM
Thanks for your help everyone. I ended up getting the cf one.

It looks sick!!! I'm glad I went with it.
Congrats on a nice ring and getting married. Is this gonna happen pretty soon or is this still down the road a bit? No biggie im just curious. haha. Glad we could help.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:27 AM
5 Year Member
nice choice!!!!

Old 03-08-2008, 12:43 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
April 11th in Vegas