Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Five Dead After Crashing BMW On Private Airstrip

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 08:52 AM
5 Year Member
Five Dead After Crashing BMW On Private Airstrip

This happened about 30 minutes from where I live. The news cast on the TV made a point to mention that the 18 year old driver went online to find ways to make his car faster. Ghey! I hate the news.

*Click image for video.

Five young men died Saturday when the car they were in drove off the end of a private airstrip near Ocala, Florida, became airborne for 200 feet and slammed into an oak tree, authorities said.

"This had to be the worst vehicle crash that I have ever seen during my career," said Randy Robinson, a spokesman for the Emergency Medical Services Alliance with 27 years on the job.

The 2008 BMW was split in two in the wreck, which happened at 3:45 a.m., said Lt. Mike Burroughs, a spokesman for the Florida Highway Patrol Troop B.

He told CNN the victims -- 18 to 20 years old and all from the area -- were declared dead at the scene.

Burroughs said it was not clear how the car got onto the private Greystone community airstrip -- the same one actor John Travolta uses for his aircraft -- but the car was driving north on Runway 36, which is 1.5 miles long.

Read more of this story and see pictures at: WFTV.com or CNN.com

BMW M5 Message Board

Old 01-28-2008, 10:49 AM
5 Year Member
Ummm so exactly why was an $80K (looked like the remnants of an M5) car on an airplane runway?

Until they determine what happened here I will keep my trap shut about my reactions.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member
hmm... let's see... how did a handful of 18-20 year olds... driving an $80k 08 BMW M5... gain access to a private gated community... hmm... let's see... idk... maybe mommy and daddy... since they probably fukcin lived there to begin with... how else could you even afford that... and then to mod it on top of that!?!? i'm sorry, but just like that girl here in oc on the toll road in her daddy's porsche, i laugh. it's not as much as the kids fault, so much as their parents for not teaching the kids respect. in that sense, it's almost ironic, cuz i doubt the parents even have the perspective to accept any accountability to begin with, although, they're gonna be the ones left hurting the most. and i don't need a lecture on how i don't know the situation, trust me, i live right in the middle of all the spoiled brats in teh OC. and when they're that arrogant and egotistical they will never illicit any sympathy from me for being total douchebags, they can all suck it. case closed.

Last edited by los_creeper; 01-28-2008 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:37 PM
Retired Moderator
Wow thats sad. but thats why kids shouldnt have fast cars, especially a M5. Its hard not to push that car to the limits.

Tyler

Old 01-28-2008, 06:22 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Before I max out a car, I deff try and make sure I know the road and that it doesnt just END. Since the strip was 1.5miles long and it was an M5 Im going to say they were going a good 100-115mph.
Florida people.... pssshh!

That car just exploded. Both with car parts and body parts.
Im really surprised that tree is unharmed.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member
It sucks when you are young and stupid.

BTW, Ray I saw your wheels in the polished version. HOT!!!! I'd rock them if they were 4x100 and not +7 offset. lol

Old 01-28-2008, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
try to remember they were just young kids,,,,how many of us here have done something, sometime, that could have killed you and got lucky

Old 01-28-2008, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, that's why it sucks when you are young and stupid. You never know when it is going to get you killed.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:19 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by los_creeper
hmm... let's see... how did a handful of 18-20 year olds... driving an $80k 08 BMW M5... gain access to a private gated community... hmm... let's see... idk... maybe mommy and daddy... since they probably fukcin lived there to begin with... how else could you even afford that... and then to mod it on top of that!?!? i'm sorry, but just like that girl here in oc on the toll road in her daddy's porsche, i laugh. it's not as much as the kids fault, so much as their parents for not teaching the kids respect. in that sense, it's almost ironic, cuz i doubt the parents even have the perspective to accept any accountability to begin with, although, they're gonna be the ones left hurting the most. and i don't need a lecture on how i don't know the situation, trust me, i live right in the middle of all the spoiled brats in teh OC. and when they're that arrogant and egotistical they will never illicit any sympathy from me for being total douchebags, they can all suck it. case closed.
The OC girl was a little different. She was drunk and stole her dads car. The driver of the M5 owned it (from his parents Im sure)

From what Ive been hearing; not really following this the kid that owned the BMW wanted to make it really fast. I guess he was posting on the BMW forums and talking about it. All the people on the forums said he was going to end up doing stupid stuff and kill himself. Look at him/them now.

BTW, I think there was drinking involved in this accident.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:29 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
you have to give him a little credit, at least he wasnt trying to push his car on public roads. he went someplace where the only person that could get hurt is himself and whoever was dumb enough to be in the car with him.

if my dad bought me an m5 when i was 16 i would have been so god damn stoked. and i would have modded it and looked for a place to test its limits. luckilly my dad bought me a 4 cyl. s-10. that i worked with delivering pizzas and packages until i had enough money to put an LS1 vette engine into it. by that time, i was old enough to appreciate and respect the power. the car i wanted was a 67 camaro 396 ss. i would have probably killed myself if i had that car as my first. you cant blame the kid. blame his dad for not booking him track time.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:30 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by grouser
try to remember they were just young kids,,,,how many of us here have done something, sometime, that could have killed you and got lucky
i agree with you

Old 01-28-2008, 09:42 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Ive done a lot of stupid stuff when I first got my Mx-6. Granted the car wasnt FAST it wasnt a slow stock either.
The first month owning it I didnt have a license, tag, or registration. Hehh
When I did have all that I raced the car like nothing. I did lots of street racing with that car. Im a lot more toned down now, mainly because of my record.

I think the most stupid part about the driver of the BMW is he brought along 4 friends. Anytime I do something stupid Im alone. I couldnt live with myself if I caused permanent damage or death to one of my friends and I was left unharmed. Not to mention cars are faster with less weight.

At least in his case everyone died. Itd be pretty interesting to see where this stuff would be going if the driver survived and everyone else died.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member
I think it's 90% the parents fault for letting him drive the car. They are old enough to know that their 18 year old son is NOT mature enough to have access to an M5. Then again, if my parents let me drive an M5 I'd be stoked as hell so I guess I should be glad they don't.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by grouser
True enough. But as a parent you do NOT add to the toxic mixture of being young by handing your teenager the keys to a 500hp car. Thats just ASKING for trouble. Then every one crys about it being a tradgedy, umm the tradgedy is the parents were too stupid to know any better (apparently lots of money didint include common sense in this case). Because they can afford it, they buy off their kids with an expensive car to shut them up and they can be the cool parents. Sorry I dont buy it. I can afford it, but I'll be damned if I am getting my kid a fancy fast car when he reaches driving age. I dont need to be cool because i'd rather be a responsible parent.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:22 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, I am sure you guys heard of Hulk Hogan's son, Nick Bollea, and his car crash. He was 17 at the time and driving a Supra while highly intoxicated. He was definitely LUCKY.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by smeister
Yeah, I am sure you guys heard of Hulk Hogan's son, Nick Bollea, and his car crash. He was 17 at the time and driving a Supra while highly intoxicated. He was definitely LUCKY.
He was, his passenger was not. He was in a coma. Dont think he died but defenitly got his brain scrambled. Might be permanent damage.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:42 PM
Retired Moderator
Yeah kids are stupid drivers. All my friends drive like idiots and dont really have much driving skill. Thats just a recipe for disaster.
I was a inch away from being in a SERIOUS accident a few months back. I was in my dads teg and we were leaving one of my hockey practices. We were in the right lane on a 4 lane road. 2 lanes in each direction. We were doing the speed limit which was 45. Out of nowhere here comes my 17 year old friend in his mazda 6 doing at least 90. before he knew it he was an inch away from the car right in front of us. He didnt even have time to brake, did a serios avoidince manuever that almost put im into a roll then fish tailed back and forth just missing us and a bunch of trees. So stupid and scary!

Tyler

Old 01-29-2008, 03:47 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TOOL
Yeah kids are stupid drivers. All my friends drive like idiots and dont really have much driving skill. Thats just a recipe for disaster.
I was a inch away from being in a SERIOUS accident a few months back. I was in my dads teg and we were leaving one of my hockey practices. We were in the right lane on a 4 lane road. 2 lanes in each direction. We were doing the speed limit which was 45. Out of nowhere here comes my 17 year old friend in his mazda 6 doing at least 90. before he knew it he was an inch away from the car right in front of us. He didnt even have time to brake, did a serios avoidince manuever that almost put im into a roll then fish tailed back and forth just missing us and a bunch of trees. So stupid and scary!

Tyler
the worst part is, if he drives like that in the first place, he probably thought "oh sh*t i'm so cool i drifted" and proceeded to tell all his friends how tight his skills are and how he was able to regain control of his car and avoid hitting anything. even though it was probably just sheer luck.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctordoom
the worst part is, if he drives like that in the first place, he probably thought "oh sh*t i'm so cool i drifted" and proceeded to tell all his friends how tight his skills are and how he was able to regain control of his car and avoid hitting anything. even though it was probably just sheer luck.
HAHAHA!!! that's funny cuz it's probably true!

Old 01-29-2008, 05:43 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by coupdetat
I think it's 90% the parents fault for letting him drive the car. They are old enough to know that their 18 year old son is NOT mature enough to have access to an M5. Then again, if my parents let me drive an M5 I'd be stoked as hell so I guess I should be glad they don't.
Never know.... While Im damn sure the parents knew what car he was getting and the performance it put out; some parents dont know shit about cars. They just get whatever their kids want.

Maybe the kid was plenty mature. Keep in mind he did have 4 other passengers. Peer pressures a bitch.
I can hear it now:
Passenger 3: Dude, I know of this HUGE stretch of road that goes on for miles.
Passenger 2: Yea man, lets go check it out. Maybe do some burnouts and shit.....
Passenger 3: Its right over here. Make that right. Lets test this baby out!

Something like that. Cant NOT do anything since youre there. Never know, just thinking aloud. I still think the accident involved alcohol.

Originally Posted by smeister
Now HE was too young and immature for that car. Im surprised his dad didnt notice with his driving record. Did Nick wreck a few cars?
So why give him a 800whp + RWD vehicle in a state that rains many months out of the year? I wouldnt doubt it if Nicks new car has the same whp.

And yes the passenger has permanent brain damage.

Quick Reply: Five Dead After Crashing BMW On Private Airstrip