Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Five Dead After Crashing BMW On Private Airstrip

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 02:13 AM
MARION COUNTY, Fla. -- Florida Highway Patrol says alcohol likely played a role in the fatal crash that killed five young Marion County men early Saturday morning. The car was traveling at more than 160 miles-per-hour on a private airstrip adjacent to a home owned by John Travolta when it flew off the runway and smashed into a tree.
The accident happened around 4:00am in the gated Graystone Community, which is located inside the Jumbolair Aviation Estates, north of Ocala. According to Florida Highway Patrol, the five teens were joyriding in a 2008 gray BMW when they decided to sneak into the exclusive Jumbolair Community.
The community is home to several millionaires, including actor John Travolta. It is supposed to be gated, but Channel 9 found out that people have been sneaking in.
The car was speeding down the airstrip when it hit an embankment, flew off the end of the runway, and crashed into trees about two-hundred-feet from the end of the airstrip. The car split in half, then disintegrated, ejecting three of the passengers.
The victims' friends said the accident happened after a late night party and that the teens wanted to see how fast the new BMW could go. Troopers said 18-year-old Joshua Ammirato was driving the car at the time of the crash. His yearbook picture says he was known for having the "hottest wheels."
Ammirato's passengers were 20-year-old Isaac Rubin and 19-year-old Dustin Dawe, whom friends called "Smiley" because of his humor. Nineteen-year-old James Devon Hime and high-school star football player 19-year-old Jacob Case were also killed in the crash.
Four of the victims were graduates of North Marion High School and another had gone to Trinity Catholic in Ocala. Family and friends were devastated when they learned the news.
"It's just heartbreaking because they are my really close friends," Alainya Frauenshuh said. "They were stupid, that's all I can think about. I don't know what was going through their heads."
Saturday, investigators collected blood samples of the victims to see if alcohol might have played a role in the fatal crash. The victim's friends say they had been at a party where there were several kegs of beer.
"We will miss them, everybody will miss them. They were great people and they were always fun to be around," close friend Britney Palmire said.
WTF!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-30-2008, 04:36 AM
5 Year Member
really tragic, but on the other than really reckless and stupid
driving intoxicated is one of the stupidest things you can do and add in the BMW M5 to the mix, along with peer pressure is just an accident waiting to happen

i googled earth the airstrip and its completely trees on one end at where he crashed and there's only 5 trees in a huge field on the other side but if the driver would have gone the other direction there would be a way better chance of survival (maybe couple of rolls in the worst case scenario)

i'm guessing the driver was going too fast (150-160 mph) and it was dark so the driver didn't see the trees in time to make a safe stop and being intoxicated depth perception was horrible

on another note, is the passenger that was in the accident with nick hogan still in acoma??

Old 01-30-2008, 05:36 AM
Wow word gets around fast, On another site im a member of (scooter related) these kids were on...

Young kids keep in mind before you judge

Old 01-30-2008, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
It's all about natural selection FTW!

Old 01-30-2008, 11:40 AM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
what I don't get is why they were racing somebody when they had 5 ppl in the car. I know its fast but if you lose that 5 ppl that means less weight to have to try and stop and its faster..

Old 01-30-2008, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DeadlyAcuraccy
"It's just heartbreaking because they are my really close friends," Alainya Frauenshuh said. "They were stupid, that's all I can think about. I don't know what was going through their heads."
i'm pretty sure everyone else can figure out the answer to that riddle, quite literally actually.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:02 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
WTF!!!!!!!!!
My thoughts exactly! 160 is a touch on the excessive side... what is that, 270kmh... crap!

I did stupid stuff when I was young, if I had a brand new 500hp BMW I am pretty sure I would be dead too. It is too bad he didn't have access to a track somewhere where some rules, regulations and more importantly guidance would be availiable to help him get his speed-fix.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:17 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Their asses...

...were what was going thru their little stupid heads... :rofl:

Old 01-30-2008, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by sLiVeRwOrM
what I don't get is why they were racing somebody when they had 5 ppl in the car. I know its fast but if you lose that 5 ppl that means less weight to have to try and stop and its faster..
What I dont get is why you were under the impression that they were racing somebody. I didnt see that anywhere.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, I believe that he was just haulin' ass down the strip to see/show how fast the car could go. Maybe he just got lost in the sounds and lyrics of R. Kelly's song 'I Believe I Can Fly'. *shrug*

Ooh! Or maybe he was trying to travel 'Back to the Future'!

Old 01-30-2008, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
flux capacitor FTW

Old 01-30-2008, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by los_creeper
flux capacitor FTW
ROFL!! 88 miles per hour!!!!

Old 01-31-2008, 02:26 PM
PWN3D

Glad these idiots only killed themselves, as opposed to a bunch of innocent people on a roadway.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
damn man... i guess thats why my dad didnt want me to have the camaro SS ( 2002) for sh!t like that dont happen to me...

Old 01-31-2008, 07:49 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
What I dont get is why you were under the impression that they were racing somebody. I didnt see that anywhere.
I read the story on another site, it mentioned they were racing somebody and the other person took off

Old 01-31-2008, 08:06 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FITrunner
ROFL!! 88 miles per hour!!!!
i wonder if the kids last words were "roads? where we're going we dont need roads"

haha sorry i had to. so wrong.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kelsodeez
i wonder if the kids last words were "roads? where we're going we dont need roads"

thats so funny but so wrong.... but then again just imagine a car with a black box

Old 01-31-2008, 09:14 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kelsodeez

i'd bet it was more like "oh sh*****t" or "f*ckkkkk"

Old 01-31-2008, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctordoom
i'd bet it was more like "oh sh*****t" or "f*ckkkkk"
or more like " dude why are we flying to a tree"

Old 01-31-2008, 09:41 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
I still say they were doing about 105-110ish MPH. Hahaha, 160mph. Can the M5 even get to that MPH? Thats probably the governed max speed. Pshh, not even.

Quick Reply: Five Dead After Crashing BMW On Private Airstrip