Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Free Tech Support -- Today Only

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 02:46 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
Exclamation Free Tech Support -- Today Only

As some of you know I work here at Dell. My job title is "Enterprise Expert" , I am one of the two holdin' down the fort today at work and I am rather bored, so ask any computer related questions and I can answer them as best as I can, especially SCSI or SAS or SATA.. ask away.. anything goes.

Old 12-22-2007, 03:32 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
I guess nobody has any questions..

well does anybody know somebody with use RSX type S parts for sale

Old 12-22-2007, 03:49 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Not really a "tech" question, but if you are that bored perhaps you could help or know the answer.

I'm trying to convert a divx format file so that it's compatible to play on a standard DVD player that doesn't support divx. I've downloaded a few different programs that said they can do it but none of them seem to work.
Suggestions on what to try?

Old 12-22-2007, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member
I got a question. my pc has spoolsv.exe that keeps taking up large amounts of memory and system resources when I'm not printing anything. virus scan comes up clean. any suggestions?

Old 12-22-2007, 06:21 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kelmar
Not really a "tech" question, but if you are that bored perhaps you could help or know the answer.

I'm trying to convert a divx format file so that it's compatible to play on a standard DVD player that doesn't support divx. I've downloaded a few different programs that said they can do it but none of them seem to work.
Suggestions on what to try?

I like to use a program called, ConvertX , I am not sure if it does divix I know it does do AVI to MPEG or whatever, you can also try WinDVD which also converts ALOT of diffrent files and burns them too.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:22 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by EXWRX
I got a question. my pc has spoolsv.exe that keeps taking up large amounts of memory and system resources when I'm not printing anything. virus scan comes up clean. any suggestions?

Turn off File/Print share in Network Connections > TCP/IP Properties , unless you are on a network and sharing files.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:33 AM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
I will have another round of this today, I work again today and I think it will be slow.

DOUBLE TIME AND 1/2 FTW!!!

Old 12-24-2007, 12:13 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Thanks for your help dude, that does exactly what I was looking for.

Old 12-24-2007, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
for a while, i was using a program called greenborder which supposedly made a virtual sandbox for internet viruses/ programs to play in, then would make all of it go away when you closed that IE or firefox window. it seemed to work just fine, a year and a half later, my computer hasn't slowed down, crashed, or what have you. previous to greenborder, such travesties seem to happen at least semi-annually, same computer. so, is there a program out there that mimics or replaces greenborder since it has been acquired by google and no longer supports its software?

also, i configured my wireless router for open access. unfortunately, it seems to always just stop working whenever it wants. i have to unplug, then re-plug, to get data to actually flow btwn laptop and router. when i unplug, power is stopped to both the router and the modem and the cable box provided by comcast.
1. does any of this have to do with my open configuration of the router? my Wireless Network Connection Status always reports excellent connectivity to my Netgear router.
2. is this more that my Comcast connection is teh fail?

Old 12-24-2007, 12:49 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kennef
for a while, i was using a program called greenborder which supposedly made a virtual sandbox for internet viruses/ programs to play in, then would make all of it go away when you closed that IE or firefox window. it seemed to work just fine, a year and a half later, my computer hasn't slowed down, crashed, or what have you. previous to greenborder, such travesties seem to happen at least semi-annually, same computer. so, is there a program out there that mimics or replaces greenborder since it has been acquired by google and no longer supports its software?

also, i configured my wireless router for open access. unfortunately, it seems to always just stop working whenever it wants. i have to unplug, then re-plug, to get data to actually flow btwn laptop and router. when i unplug, power is stopped to both the router and the modem and the cable box provided by comcast.
1. does any of this have to do with my open configuration of the router? my Wireless Network Connection Status always reports excellent connectivity to my Netgear router.
2. is this more that my Comcast connection is teh fail?

1st question -- Virus and Spyware I would just watch what sites you are going to lol, I use firefox at home and have no spyware, and I run adware by lavasoft sometimes to clean up some files that might have leaked onto the system. Other than that, I would just verify all your drivers and firmware are updated on your system, if you have a Dell you can just head to Dell Support - Technical Support, Drivers & Downloads, Troubleshooting, Product Manuals and Order Status and type in your service tag and find all that info.

2nd question -- Most of the problems like that are caused by the ZeroWireless config in XP SP2 , that thing is a peice of JUNK! I get around that problem by disabling WPA or WEP on the router I enable MAC Filter which a MAC is a unique address specific to each network card in every system in the whole world. Once you have turned on MAC filtering, you need to get the MAC address of every computer that is going to connect to the system be with WIRED or WIRELESS, you can find your MAC address by going to START > RUN > COMMAND > type ipconfig /all
after that it will say MAC ADDRESS : 0f:XX:XX:XX:XX something like that.

-- this will eleminate your computer having to autenticate itself to get on the router, and you will have MUCH MUCH better security since only the list of MAC addresses are able to access the router, even though it looks open to the outside world.

Old 12-24-2007, 12:56 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kelmar
Thanks for your help dude, that does exactly what I was looking for.

glad I could help.

Old 12-24-2007, 03:05 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
BUMPY

Old 12-24-2007, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sLiVeRwOrM
1st question -- Virus and Spyware I would just watch what sites you are going to lol, I use firefox at home and have no spyware, and I run adware by lavasoft sometimes to clean up some files that might have leaked onto the system. Other than that, I would just verify all your drivers and firmware are updated on your system, if you have a Dell you can just head to Dell Support - Technical Support, Drivers & Downloads, Troubleshooting, Product Manuals and Order Status and type in your service tag and find all that info.

2nd question -- Most of the problems like that are caused by the ZeroWireless config in XP SP2 , that thing is a peice of JUNK! I get around that problem by disabling WPA or WEP on the router I enable MAC Filter which a MAC is a unique address specific to each network card in every system in the whole world. Once you have turned on MAC filtering, you need to get the MAC address of every computer that is going to connect to the system be with WIRED or WIRELESS, you can find your MAC address by going to START > RUN > COMMAND > type ipconfig /all
after that it will say MAC ADDRESS : 0f:XX:XX:XX:XX something like that.

-- this will eleminate your computer having to autenticate itself to get on the router, and you will have MUCH MUCH better security since only the list of MAC addresses are able to access the router, even though it looks open to the outside world.
thanks man

Old 12-24-2007, 04:25 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
feel free to add to my rep

Old 12-24-2007, 05:51 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
already did

Old 01-12-2008, 10:43 AM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
okay, so today is a slow day at work, bump for more support!

Old 01-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Darn, I missed it! I have a Dell laptop and have a question about hard drives. I'll save it until the doctor is in again.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:11 AM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by HapaLynai
Darn, I missed it! I have a Dell laptop and have a question about hard drives. I'll save it until the doctor is in again.

Ask away.. I am usually on the fourms while at work anyways lol

Old 01-19-2008, 11:10 AM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
Bump

Right now I am helping a guy from AIG Auto Insurance

anybody else need assistance?

Old 01-19-2008, 10:37 PM
Question

Hi sLiVeRwOrM,

Just recently I switched to Fios. Trueswitch can't seem to transfer my old email acct (all my files & folders inc all their contents) to my new one.
I've attempted to save my entire email acct to my favorites, a cd & to my documents but cant seem to get it to happen.

Can you help me out?

Thanks so much, I'd appreciate any help

LBW

Quick Reply: Free Tech Support -- Today Only