Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

The ol Desert Eagle .50 cal pistol!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 12:33 PM
Banned
The ol Desert Eagle .50 cal pistol!!!

So, just for fun, I took the wife with me shooting the DE .50 for a while. Got some pretty good shots of this critter being fired. For more pictures...and an exploding cantaloupe, go to: Desert Eagle Mark XIX .50 AE pistol!.

Kris

Old 11-27-2007, 12:40 PM
Retired Moderator
Thats sick man, that a serious gun! I love using that thing on Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare on X360. I would love to shoot one in real life!

Old 11-27-2007, 12:45 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by TOOL
Thats sick man, that a serious gun! I love using that thing on Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare on X360. I would love to shoot one in real life!
If you're ever in Miami, drop me a line! I had 8 people shoot it the other day and they were in awe over it. It is a nasty little weapon and a blast to shoot...no pun intended.

Kris

Old 11-27-2007, 02:05 PM
Banned
Kris,

Thanks for your diversion from Fit-stuff. I worked for the Automag factory in So. Pasadena for a short time before they went bankrupt the first time. The Clint Eastwood "Magnum Force" Dirty Harry movie brought new attention to the out-of-production pistol, and investors brought it back for a short time with the original tooling.

I collect and shoot "cannons" also, but of a previous century. My 1875 Sharps Carbine is chambered for the .45-120 cartridge (that I have to make myself out of .45 basic brass). This is a 400 grain lead slug pushed by 120 grains of black powder, in a cartridge that is 3 1/2" long. The 1872 "Trap Door" Springfield used by Custer's 7th. Cavalry at the Little Bighorn was chambered for the .45-70 Government round- same bullet but half the length and less than half the powder. This is a bad gun for photography- after one shot, EVERYTHING vanishes in a giant cloud of smoke.

You, or "Wave" mentioned an addiction to firearms in an old post. there are many sufferers of this malady, and most of them also belong to car forums. How odd.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:21 PM
Banned
Good Lord! Those are cannons! I got the DE to venture from my Glock collection. It was a good price and looked dead sexy. And shooting it, well, it's amazing. I haven't played with many big bore rifles or handguns, or curious or relics for that matter. Although I did have an Enfield Jungle carbine chambered in .308 vs the British .303 round...Right now the safe just contains an AK, a little over half a dozen Glock's and the DE. I try to splurge when I can and since I am selling the Fit, I guess I am going to have a little more cash laying around.

About the gun/car nut comparisson, I think it is a power thing! I dunno. But I envy you loading your own...I can dive head first into my car but too nervous to load my own rounds. I keep thinking I would miss something.

Take it easy...good hearing from you again.

kris

Old 11-27-2007, 02:44 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by fit4kris
Good Lord! Those are cannons! I got the DE to venture from my Glock collection. It was a good price and looked dead sexy. And shooting it, well, it's amazing. I haven't played with many big bore rifles or handguns, or curious or relics for that matter. Although I did have an Enfield Jungle carbine chambered in .308 vs the British .303 round...Right now the safe just contains an AK, a little over half a dozen Glock's and the DE. I try to splurge when I can and since I am selling the Fit, I guess I am going to have a little more cash laying around.

About the gun/car nut comparisson, I think it is a power thing! I dunno. But I envy you loading your own...I can dive head first into my car but too nervous to load my own rounds. I keep thinking I would miss something.

Take it easy...good hearing from you again.

kris
Moderator Tool and others will probably feel called upon to remind us that this is a forum for discussions about the Honda Fit, so go ahead and remind us---
You have enough mechanical ability to be completely safe making your own ammo. It's just as silly to pay through the nose for off the shelf retail ammo as it is to pay $100.00 an hour to have your oil changed and wheels rotated by some shop schmuck. And the cost to feed your .50 cal. pistol must be enormous. The retail cost of a reloading machine, bullet and powder scales, powder, primers, and everything else involved would almost be paid by your savings one one box of rounds for the DE. Once you get the hang of it, 50 rounds would take you about 10 minutes to make manually, or 5 minutes with automated equipment. But that DOES take time away from mods and track time for your car(s).

Regarding car and gun addiction- they are pretty much hard-wired into male DNA. My dad was a Buick mechanic before enlisting in the Army in 1942, became a weapons tech, then cross trained in the Air Corps to get his own B-17 to fly. I come by my own mechanical skills though both DNA and family teaching, then school and decades of professional experience.

BTW-
The 20mm "Mini-guns" that fire thousand of rounds per minute on aircraft and Bradley vehicles were developed by a G.E. employee with a gun fetish. He owned an original 19th. century Gattling gun chambered for .45-70 Gov't., and one bored afternoon, replaced the crank handle with an electric motor. After completely obliterating the cinder block wall at the back of his farm, his invention was modernized and became standard armament on the "Puff the Magic Dragon" C-130's that rained fire from the sky over Viet Nam.

Last edited by manxman; 11-27-2007 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:48 PM
Retired Moderator
[quote=manxman;199321]Moderator Tool and others will probably feel called upon to remind us that this is a forum for discussions about the Honda Fit, so go ahead and remind us---

No worries its the off topic area.

I have no idea what you guys are talking about though, its like a diffrent language to me lol.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:50 PM
DAMN i hope you don't use that on me on Saturday!!! nice pic of you with the gun.

Old 11-27-2007, 03:13 PM
Banned
[QUOTE=TOOL;199323]
Originally Posted by manxman
Moderator Tool and others will probably feel called upon to remind us that this is a forum for discussions about the Honda Fit, so go ahead and remind us---

No worries its the off topic area.

I have no idea what you guys are talking about though, its like a diffrent language to me lol.
That's a good thing, Tyler. Your ignorance of guns will save you a LOT of money, and future U.S. government grief. Like any substance abuse issue, if you never try it, you don't miss it.

Old 11-27-2007, 03:21 PM
LDO
Fit4Kris,
you have a pm...

Old 11-27-2007, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
Manxman: your Sharps, is it a Shiloh? I had one of their early paper cartridge rifles many years back, but sold it before going over to Japan. I always wanted one of their metallic cartridge rifles, but the wait at the time was like 4 years or so, so never got around to it. I believe it's shorter now.

fit4kris: Nice piece! I had a .44 mag DE in std. matte finish right before the .50AE's came out. Awsome gun, and very controllable and easy to shoot; nothing like being able to shoot .44 mag single-handed I always thought.

Guns are a sure addiction. I used to be a manager at a gun shop many years back and spent many of my checks on my collection. Unfortunately, I sold them all before going overseas, b/c I wasn't going to be using them. I could kick myself now for doing it to be honest.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:41 PM
Banned
Chikubi,

Christian Sharps never designed or manufactured a "Shiloh" rifle- names such as that have been used by the marketers of replica historical "Old West" guns generally made in Italy by companies like A. Uberti. That gun maker was almost bankrupt until they were awarded a contract to make real guns to be used as props in the "Spaghetti Western" movies of the late '60s-through the '70s, again due to the influence of Mr. Eastwood.

My present Sharps was dirt cheap when I bought it in the late '70s, simply because it was made by mistake. The .45-120 guns were always heavy barrel rifles used for buffalo, because of the magnum shells they fired. You can't hit much using that bullet in a short barreled gun. I think that I paid about $150.00 for the carbine, mainly as a conversation piece. I also owned an 1852 .58 cal. paper cartridge Sharps rifle, but sold it about 10 years ago.

It is a shame that you did not keep your collection in storage as the investment that they were. If you never fired a shot again in your life, the cost of guns today is so high that you could probably make 100% profit on guns that you bought 10-15 years ago. JUST LIKE ALL OF THE OLD CARS THAT ALL FITFREAKS SOLD CHEAP YEARS OR DECADES AGO, along with all of our old comic books!

Old 11-27-2007, 07:02 PM
Banned
See! I bring out the good in people with conversations like this! YAY! ) Ha ha. Well glad I could spark up memories, keep the gun talk going. I just got home and well, my son got his progress report and it isn't too swell. AND my ceiling is leaking from the AC unit. So, we have issues right now.

Kris

Old 11-27-2007, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
Chikubi,

Christian Sharps never designed or manufactured a "Shiloh" rifle- names such as that have been used by the marketers of replica historical "Old West" guns generally made in Italy by companies like A. Uberti.
My error -- I meant the company Shiloh Sharps in Big timber Montana. They're a replica company that makes probably the most authentic, highest quality replica 1863's and 1874's you can find. Everythings done in-house, and the price reflects it, but the guns are flawless and all of the original Sharp's options are available. If ya got 2-3k laying around and want a top notch gun: http://www.shilohrifle.com/

My present Sharps was dirt cheap when I bought it in the late '70s, simply because it was made by mistake. The .45-120 guns were always heavy barrel rifles used for buffalo, because of the magnum shells they fired. You can't hit much using that bullet in a short barreled gun. I think that I paid about $150.00 for the carbine, mainly as a conversation piece. I also owned an 1852 .58 cal. paper cartridge Sharps rifle, but sold it about 10 years ago.
That's gotta be a pleasant gun to fire. Still, that is a steal, and an original Sharps is always a nice find.

It is a shame that you did not keep your collection in storage as the investment that they were. If you never fired a shot again in your life, the cost of guns today is so high that you could probably make 100% profit on guns that you bought 10-15 years ago. JUST LIKE ALL OF THE OLD CARS THAT ALL FITFREAKS SOLD CHEAP YEARS OR DECADES AGO, along with all of our old comic books!
Yeah, that's so true. With the Sharp's for example, I paid $675 for it in unfired mint condition, and now the same rifle is $1920 if I were to buy it new. Live and learn. In retrospect though, I needed the money at the time to cover moving and living costs, and better to pass them on to someone who could enjoy them as opposed to wasting away in a closet. Still . . .

Old 11-27-2007, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fit4kris
See! I bring out the good in people with conversations like this! YAY! ) Ha ha. Well glad I could spark up memories, keep the gun talk going. I just got home and well, my son got his progress report and it isn't too swell. AND my ceiling is leaking from the AC unit. So, we have issues right now.

Kris
Most gun people are awesome I've found when it comes to shootin' the shit and talking about their hobby; really friendly overall. I loved going into my favorite shop and just sitting and chatting for a while before making my purchase. Working at the gun shop was no different either, though the nutball quotient rose because you saw more people everyday. It's a shame I'm not into it like I used to be -- too many other expenses and things to take up my time at the moment, but when I was full-on with it I was even making my own repro leatherwork because there was nothing really available that was authentic and made properly that you could find (that was a hobby unto its own as well come to think of it).

Old 11-27-2007, 09:03 PM
Banned
Chikubi,
I apologize! I completely forgot about that American brand of replica guns. I guess that that's one of the differences between "just a shooter" and someone who works in the gun retail trade. You didn't faint at the cost of the American made ultra-high quality antique design replicas. I didn't faint either, just was not interested in paying that much, so bought the Italian made stuff. Even though cheaper, the Italian Sharps replicas still had good wood in the stocks, and had hard chrome plated bores. The plating really helped in the corrosion resistance to black powder residue.

I rarely find anyone interested in antique shooters anymore, unless I blind everyone at the range with one of mine. Since they can no longer see their targets, everyone comes over to watch me make more smoke. And they are surprised to see me make interconnecting 1/2" holes on my targets. Unfortunately, where you are now, you have no opportunity to do this anymore.

BTW- I just bought a Progress rear anti-sway bar for my wife's Scion XB and installed it this afternoon. Almost bought the Toyota bar until I found out that Progress had one.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:35 PM
Banned
BTW- I just bought a Progress rear anti-sway bar for my wife's Scion XB and installed it this afternoon. Almost bought the Toyota bar until I found out that Progress had one.
WTH?! Where did that come from?!

Ok...so it's 9:30 and I think I am settling in. My boy received punishment for the progress report...or regress report...I fixed (for the time being) my leaking ceiling and AC unit....and did some paper work for the ol job. UGH! Time for bed. It's sad when I am only 29 saying that. PLUS I have grey hair in my goatee?! Crap!

Old 11-27-2007, 09:40 PM
Banned
That was for Chikubi only- he may remember an old post of his where he thought that the XB came standard with a rear bar, and I corrected him. No relevance to big bangs, big smoke, or big holes.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:13 AM
5 Year Member
that gun is the shit!

Old 11-28-2007, 01:42 AM
Banned
Nice hand cannon! It really must be something in the Genes cars & guns. I was a class III dealer for 15 years before moving over here. Believe it or not a stripped M-16 will fit in a bank safety deposit box. I have two of the large ones and they hold, one sten, one sterling, one mini Uzi, 3 mac tens, assorted hand guns and 22 assorted suppressors. Cheap climate controlled storage and REAL SAFE.

Quick Reply: The ol Desert Eagle .50 cal pistol!!!