Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Finally driving the MT

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 12:25 AM
Finally driving the MT

Drove the new MR 5sp manual again today (bought it yesterday, the 9th) (for those who don't know, I've never driven a manual before). Took it out on some more open highways, like: the interstate, hilly, curvy roads, and intersections. So, I got good practice today. I think I did okay, but I have some issues I need to tweak before I get excellent at it. I mean, no one was in danger of my driving, but, I did some things that my car got angry about hehe

I had to stop on a hill. Needless to say, I squalled the tires I feel pretty comfortable with starting from a dead stop, however, and up shifting when accelerating is not a problem either.

However, I do have an issue with down shifting when I'm coming to a stop or wanting to turn. I down shift too quickly, so I guess the car is moving faster than the engine. I get some really effective engine braking! Is this detrimental to my engine? I guess the reason I do this is because I can't seem to get it through my head that I can slow down in my current gear without down shifting. Once I can tell myself that, I'll be okay.

Another thing I have done a couple of times is skip a gear while shifting... it seems very easy to do this with the shifter because it glides so smoothly from one gear to the next. I know this is not good for my engine, and I will stop it ASAP! Honestly, am I the only person who has ever done this, or is it a common thing while first starting?

Anyway, sorry to be so bothersome about it, but I want to get perfect at it! It is so fun..... until I do something wrong, then I get discouraged and don't want to drive it anymore. I am wondering whether I'm going to be able to make this 2nd nature. I have to think about it a lot while I'm driving it

My husband got really annoyed at me today because I kept bugging him about it.... so hopefully I can get some relief from others' opinions/comments/etc!

Oh and I didn't mention, I absolutely LOVE the cruise control! It is so awesome. Never had cruise control before.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:53 AM
5 Year Member
I won a 5 speed car and had to learn to drive it fast since my primary car decided to blow the radiator one day. It seems hard at first, but the more you do it the more it becomes second nature. In less than a month you'll be driving it like an expert and not giving it any thought.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:01 PM
5 Year Member
Smile

I had to stay very aware of driving a stick at first. But after relaxing, I learned to listen to the engine and shift accordlying. I rarely shift down...I usually coast to a stop in neutral, or after I drop some speed, I then engage the gear that I think is needed if I have to move quickly or at the speed of the traffic flow.

With a standard, I feel that I have more to do with the driving of the car. Also, I live in an area where there is not alot of stop/go traffic.
Good Luck!

Old 06-11-2007, 01:06 PM
5 Year Member
Take An Easy On That New Engine Dont Down Shift Use You Breaks Only Need To Down Shift When Going Slow Speeds Not Engine Breaking

Old 06-11-2007, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
Your experience sounds much like my first experience driving a manual. My first mt was a 1988 Toyota Tercel hatchback.

I'm currently teaching my wife to drive my Fit, as she's never driven a mt before, either. Her first outing was a bit harrowing to her, but once she relaxes a bit, she'll get the hang of it.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by KentuckyFit

However, I do have an issue with down shifting when I'm coming to a stop or wanting to turn. I down shift too quickly, so I guess the car is moving faster than the engine. I get some really effective engine braking! Is this detrimental to my engine? I guess the reason I do this is because I can't seem to get it through my head that I can slow down in my current gear without down shifting. Once I can tell myself that, I'll be okay.

Another thing I have done a couple of times is skip a gear while shifting... it seems very easy to do this with the shifter because it glides so smoothly from one gear to the next. I know this is not good for my engine, and I will stop it ASAP! Honestly, am I the only person who has ever done this, or is it a common thing while first starting?

Don't worry - it will become second nature to you after a while - it's gotten to the point for me where it's harder to drive an auto - I keep wanting to use my left foot to shift and hit the brakes accidentally . Just listen to the engine and you'll be good.

As to your questions -
1) Downshifting isn't bad for the car, unless you shift into a gear that will take you past the redline - that is bad (e.g. shifting into 2nd @ 60 mph.).

It's actually very useful if you need to slow down quickly, say, when going into a sharp turn at an exit ramp and you want to accellerate quickly when you come out of it.

It can be a little bit hard on the clutch if you don't do it properly though - you'll want to do what's known as "rev-matching", which means to get the rpms of the engine up to where they will end up after you shift - just blip the throttle while the clutch is down to bring the rpms up about 1000 rpm or so, then shift into the next lower gear. When you let out the clutch, ideally the rpms in the lower gear will be just about where you blipped the throttle to. If you're downshifting more than one gear, just blip a bit more. It takes a bit of practice, but it's not that hard. Just be sure that the lower gear you're shifting into won't take you past redline on the tach.

2) There's nothing wrong with skipping a gear, as long as the engine is comfortable at it's new spot. Sometimes I need to accellerate quickly, and go up to ~40 mph in 2nd gear, and then shift directly to 4th for cruising. The key again is to have the rpms of the engine match the gear you're going into. In this case, you might want to hold in the clutch a bit longer than normal to let the rpms drop a bit more, because there will be ~2k drop @40mph from 2nd to 4th gear.

Just practice, and don't be intimidated. It will become just as natural as using your turn signals after awhile.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:20 PM
Ok, so I drove the Fit today to Wal-Mart. I am so excited. I almost have it perfect I haven't recently skipped any gears, cause I sat in my car one day before work and just worked the gear shifter. I have gotten better at downshifting and letting off the clutch so my husband's seat belt doesn't lock (it still needs a bit of work though)

Also, sometimes my shifts are a bit rough, but most of the time, they're pretty smooth, even from 1st to 2nd. I am so thrilled, because I think it's becoming 2nd nature already. I told my hubby I can't wait to drive it somewhere tonight lol.

I am no longer "scared" to get in it and go. At first, I was extremely shaky and got all red on my face, neck, ears, and chest (I get very visibly red when I get nervous; I know it's weird :P)

I totally do not regret getting the 5 sp. It's absolutely a blast. Shame on my family members and friends that tried to discourage me from getting it! There's this feeling of "I'm cool, I can drive a stick!"

Old 06-13-2007, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by KentuckyFit
"I'm cool, I can drive a stick!"

People with automatics don't "drive"... they just steer

Downshifting as you decelerate come eventually. When I'm not driving agressively, I really dont do much of it. If I'm at a higher speed (in 5th) and I need to stop, I'll drop straight to third and then to first(after I stop). At lower speeds, I don't do it at all... just disengage the clutch and go to first after I stop.

The idea is that using the engine to compression brake will save your brake pads/shoes; but it adds more wear to the clutch... Personally, I'de rather replace the brake pads 10 times than a clutch once.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by RedAndy

It can be a little bit hard on the clutch if you don't do it properly though - you'll want to do what's known as "rev-matching", which means to get the rpms of the engine up to where they will end up after you shift - just blip the throttle while the clutch is down to bring the rpms up about 1000 rpm or so, then shift into the next lower gear. When you let out the clutch, ideally the rpms in the lower gear will be just about where you blipped the throttle to. If you're downshifting more than one gear, just blip a bit more. It takes a bit of practice, but it's not that hard. Just be sure that the lower gear you're shifting into won't take you past redline on the tach.
I am almost positive the fit rev matches when shifting just like the other DBW Honda cars do.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by sortanewinatl
Downshifting as you decelerate come eventually. When I'm not driving agressively, I really dont do much of it. If I'm at a higher speed (in 5th) and I need to stop, I'll drop straight to third and then to first(after I stop). At lower speeds, I don't do it at all... just disengage the clutch and go to first after I stop.

The idea is that using the engine to compression brake will save your brake pads/shoes; but it adds more wear to the clutch... Personally, I'de rather replace the brake pads 10 times than a clutch once.
This is true - there is some extra wear on the clutch. Proper revmatching keeps this to a minimum. But brakepads are much cheaper/easier to replace than a clutch. During normal driving, I drive just as sortanewinatl does.

I'll downshift when I need extra oomph for faster passing, during tight turns on exit ramps, or on those days when I just feel frisky and I'm on the twisties.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:28 PM
the first time i learned how to drive a stick was with my hubbys 6speed acura rsx. his car was sall mugened out and fixed with everything possible for me to mess up. i couldn't see over the dash i had to sit on a pillow lol. i just drove around the neighborhood stalled out plenty of times. he was yelling at me i was crying it was not fun! but i learned and im good now! so it all takes time. heck im not perfect i still stall out time to time its funny. but you'll fet used to it!!!

Old 06-14-2007, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sortanewinatl
People with automatics don't "drive"... they just steer

Yup! _