HID issues, does anyone got the same problem??

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
HID issues, does anyone got the same problem??

well, I had mine HID (Bi-xenon) installed by a good local auto shop.

I notice 2 issues and wonder any member face the same problem when you had your HID done.

If the lights is OFF (by default) it display a yellow color DRL warning in my dash
which never had it on prior to the HID installation.
and
the bulbs are flickering but they don't fade out, buzzing noise occur on both sides.
but
if the headlights are turn on, no noise at all, and the DRL warning goes off....

why? can someone share your experience please?

Last edited by alanchan; 07-17-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:16 AM
5 Year Member
to me it sounds like your hid kit isnt a HI Lo kit

Old 07-18-2010, 01:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitster
to me it sounds like your hid kit isnt a HI Lo kit
yes, it is, because when the installer turn on the high beam, I saw the H4 light bulb push back from the housing.
isn't it suppose to be like that in a bi-xenon setup?
can someone verify please?

Old 07-18-2010, 02:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by alanchan
well, I had mine HID (Bi-xenon) installed by a good local auto shop.

I notice 2 issues and wonder any member face the same problem when you had your HID done.

If the lights is OFF (by default) it display a yellow color DRL warning in my dash
which never had it on prior to the HID installation.
and
the bulbs are flickering but they don't fade out, buzzing noise occur on both sides.
but
if the headlights are turn on, no noise at all, and the DRL warning goes off....

why? can someone share your experience please?
I was running a set of low beam HID kit on my car from summer 2007 til last X'mas & then my bro upgraded mine to a set of hi/low kit as x'mas gift. I'm not sure if u guys call these bi-xenon or not but anyway.

The technician who installed the kit re-wired my DRL. So I can turn on my fog lights & headlights independently. As I remember the DRL warning light never came on all these years. I had no problem turning on the lights at all, both side come on nice & fast & they never flicker.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
During the day when your car is running and your light switch is not turned on, it is in DRL mode. In DRL mode your car only gives a small amount of power to light up the headlights. When you turn your lights on at night, you get 100% power to the lights.

So in other words when your lights are switched off, your car is not giving enough watts to fully power the HID and that's why they flicker.

Try either disabling your DRL by pulling the DRL fuse or get a better HID kit that can bypass this issue on it's own, or find an HID expert installer to help you fix the problem on your existing kit.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ACfit
During the day when your car is running and your light switch is not turned on, it is in DRL mode. In DRL mode your car only gives a small amount of power to light up the headlights. When you turn your lights on at night, you get 100% power to the lights.

So in other words when your lights are switched off, your car is not giving enough watts to fully power the HID and that's why they flicker.

Try either disabling your DRL by pulling the DRL fuse or get a better HID kit that can bypass this issue on it's own, or find an HID expert installer to help you fix the problem on your existing kit.
Thanks bro,
I guess I need to tell the installer to disable the DRL so that the warning will not show up in the dash
Its fine if its normal to flicker without turning on the light switch.
can you refer an HID expert?
I doubt it this guy knows how to deal with it correctly.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
if you simply want to disable your DRL, you can do it yourself. the fuse box is just below the steering wheel, you might need to remove the panel to access it. refer to owner's manual. there is a fuse on the fuse chart that reads Daylight. Pull that fuse and you're done.

HID expert installer = me (i install HID for a living)

If you need further help, PM me.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
HID expert installer = me (i install HID for a living)

If you need further help, PM me.
please check your PM

Old 07-28-2010, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
thanks guys,

did it yesterday and it works!!!

so the trick is to pull out the DRL fuse.
after that, no warning sign
and no buzzing noise after.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
@ACfit I am having a similar problem I have HIDs but when I turn on the lights the start flickering and my dash and radio lights as well very annoying. I don't have those Day time running lights its just a simple set up on and off that it. I figure I am not getting enough power to the HIDs but why and should I replace the Alternator. The same thing happen if I just turn corner lights on as well and oh the flickering happens on and off or it some time does not happen at all but it happens a lot. What do you recommend thanks.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:20 PM

So i got my HIDs installed recently ran into the same problem. The guy said that the buzzing noise was normal when it was in drl mode. Luckily i checked the forum before going in and suggested him pulling the fuse. This worked i believe. However on my dash the warning light for my lights went on. Is there any way to fix this?

Old 02-07-2012, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jm95286
So i got my HIDs installed recently ran into the same problem. The guy said that the buzzing noise was normal when it was in drl mode. Luckily i checked the forum before going in and suggested him pulling the fuse. This worked i believe. However on my dash the warning light for my lights went on. Is there any way to fix this?
are you guys still having issues with your HID
recently one side of my HID burn out and I replace both bulbs/ballasts together and no buzzing noise, no warning sign from the dash.
you guys did pull out the fuse, right?
my understanding is once the fuse is removed, the DRL error will not LITE up.
I assume you guys have the GE8 cars, right?

Old 05-26-2012, 08:21 PM
To anyone who is experiencing the DRL problem:

Pulling the fuse IS a workaround for the flickering/DRL warning issue, but it is NOT recommended since all cars MUST HAVE DRLS by law in BC. Although having HIDs without projector housings is also illegal, it is common enough that cops will ignore it 95% of the time as long as its not pointing directly into people's eyes. Having no lights while driving will more likely attract cop attention.

What I did on my 07 Fit was, instead of using the factory headlight plugs, I wired my bi-xenon kit to a relay and wired the relay to my ignition power so that the lights come on full power when my car is on. For the hi-beam I used the wire which turns negative while hi-beam is active.

Any questions, feel free to ask. I can provide further details if you want to try it yourself. I can also do this for you at my shop.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by RPM George
To anyone who is experiencing the DRL problem:

Pulling the fuse IS a workaround for the flickering/DRL warning issue, but it is NOT recommended since all cars MUST HAVE DRLS by law in BC.
I'm pretty sure there is a cut off I think it's cars made after 93 or something. Alan please pay close attention to what he's posted. If ICBC finds out you have disabled your DRL's and you get into to any kind of accident they WILL NOT cover you!

Old 05-28-2012, 01:14 PM
5 Year Member
thanks guys,

what I like to do is to have separate DRL
not using my HID as DRL
is it possible for GE8?
I think the only way is change the headlight to after market
the one with the lense type.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:16 PM
thanks guys,

what I like to do is to have separate DRL
not using my HID as DRL
is it possible for GE8?
I think the only way is change the headlight to after market
the one with the lense type.
Yes, the only way to have separate DRLs through the headlight is to get an aftermarket one. You can also purchase aftermarket LED DRL kits which are installed on your bumper below the headlights.

Here is an example of one we sell/install

High Power LED Daytime Running Light Kit - YouTube

**note: having the DRLs blink along with turn signals is entirely optional, they can be installed to just stay on solid.**

Last edited by RPM George; 05-28-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
looks like the LED is my option because I don't want to get the after market headlights.
what is the cost to install this LED DRL to stay on when the engine is on.
please pm me

Old 05-30-2012, 07:07 PM
After posting above, I decided to install a DRL kit onto my Fit, here are the results:

The DRLs automatically switch on when you start your car, it uses a voltage-sensing module to accomplish this.
Name:  IMG_20120530_155331.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  36.6 KB
Bi-Xenon HID kit is setup to only turn on with lo-beams and stay off during the daytime.
Name:  IMG_20120530_155446.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  27.8 KB
HIDs in my fog lights. I admit it's overkill and I'd prefer the fogs to be yellow, will probably change it soon.
Name:  IMG_20120530_155528.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  29.9 KB

Last edited by RPM George; 05-30-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
I wonder you can do this
make my fog DRL, turn on when the engine is started
and have the HID turn on only when I flick the switch at night.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:27 PM
I wonder you can do this
make my fog DRL, turn on when the engine is started
and have the HID turn on only when I flick the switch at night.
Yup that can be done for sure. Just PM me or call us anytime between Monday to Saturday 10am to 6pm.

*edit* There ARE legal issues with having fog lights on when it's not foggy outside. You'd think it's allowed but my brother has been ticketed for having his fog lights on when it wasn't foggy. He took it to court and the officer showed up with a stack of motor vehicle laws and my brother still had to pay full price. This probably never happens, but I am just pointing out that it can.

Last edited by RPM George; 05-30-2012 at 09:30 PM.

Quick Reply: HID issues, does anyone got the same problem??