B1 maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 03:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spoonek4
What year is your car and how many services have u done so far?
My Fit is a 2009. I don't drive that often as I bike a lot. I do some highway driving once an a while on the weekend. I had the A service (oil change) done. The funny thing is my dealer says to have that at 8000km and then again at 16,000 so I'm actually doing them before they indicate to, even though my MM says I should have done it. As soon as the MM is reset, it's exactly 6,000km before the oil reaches 0% and the next service is recommended.

Anyways, my dealer has a Spring/Summer Performance Package thing for $74.95 that includes an oil and filter change, tire rotation, an inspection that includes brakes, battery, etc. If I got the actual 'B' service it's $200 and it's basically the same thing! The dealer just wants more money.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by superslurpee
I use the maintenance minder thing as a guide only because mine is way too harsh. Every 6,000 km (~3,700 miles) on the nose, the oil reaches 0% and it tells me to get more maintenance. I really wish it actually measured if I need the service or not but it's obviously been programmed like that.

At 12,000 km, the thing started blinking and telling me to get a B1 service. I'm now at 13,200km and still haven't gotten the B1. All I really care about is the oil change and the tire rotation. All the other 'inspection' nonsense is really just some kid at the dealership giving things a quick glance. Oh, and they top up the windshield fluid too like it's some huge deal. So, could I just get an oil change at Mr. Lube or wherever (like I do for the A service) and rotate the tires? Would that be acceptable?
For the maintenance reminder feature on our car, I NEVER follow it. Me & my brother have oil changes done every 4000km or 3months or so, which-ever comes first on our cars. Tire rotation depends how hard I drive. I have a set of summer & a set of snow tires. Both set get rotated at least once in the season(not including the time when I put it on). Air filter, transmission fluid & brake fluid, clutch fluid replacement every year. Clean, lubricate & adjust(if needed) front & rear brakes every year. Of course checking lights and leaks all that other stuff.

Your car is your investment. Servicing your car is to protect it. I know the Fit isn't an expensive car. But u spent that $ & bought it new/relatively new, u should treat it nicely. Reason most people bought a newer car is there's less chances on something going wrong. But without good maintenance to it, a relatively new car still gonna fall apart.

It's like a house, another even bigger investment. U gotta maintain it. Keep everything as clean as possible, do garden work, clean the gutters, etc etc. If u aren't doing those, it's just gonna look like u're living in a junk yard and stuff falls apart faster.

As in the difference between the $74.95 service & a $200 service. There IS a difference. In most cases the spring/summer special dealership offer include oil change & tire rotation, load test your battery & check for leaks, check all your lights and your brakes etc. While the $200 service USUALLY includes service, lube & adjust brakes. And MAY include replacing your air filter. Service, lube & adjust brake is important but I've seen some people who tend to skip that. Especially when there's a lot of road salt at where u live during winter. Without lubing the sliding pins & edges of the pads etc u would have more & more clicking noise and eventually calipers may seize due to lack of lubrication.

U can get it done cheaper at some other local shops or mechanics. But not every single mechanic out there care about your car that much. Some would also suggest u to do something that u don't need(windshield washer fluid flush YES!). I personally will NOT recommend anyone taking a car to Mr.Lube coz I've seen customers came back with cracked oil filter housing on their Mazda3. U can have service done there but they definitely don't have qualified people & tools to do their job.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spoonek4
For the maintenance reminder feature on our car, I NEVER follow it. Me & my brother have oil changes done every 4000km or 3months or so, which-ever comes first on our cars. Tire rotation depends how hard I drive. I have a set of summer & a set of snow tires. Both set get rotated at least once in the season(not including the time when I put it on). Air filter, transmission fluid & brake fluid, clutch fluid replacement every year. Clean, lubricate & adjust(if needed) front & rear brakes every year. Of course checking lights and leaks all that other stuff.

Your car is your investment. Servicing your car is to protect it. I know the Fit isn't an expensive car. But u spent that $ & bought it new/relatively new, u should treat it nicely. Reason most people bought a newer car is there's less chances on something going wrong. But without good maintenance to it, a relatively new car still gonna fall apart.

It's like a house, another even bigger investment. U gotta maintain it. Keep everything as clean as possible, do garden work, clean the gutters, etc etc. If u aren't doing those, it's just gonna look like u're living in a junk yard and stuff falls apart faster.

As in the difference between the $74.95 service & a $200 service. There IS a difference. In most cases the spring/summer special dealership offer include oil change & tire rotation, load test your battery & check for leaks, check all your lights and your brakes etc. While the $200 service USUALLY includes service, lube & adjust brakes. And MAY include replacing your air filter. Service, lube & adjust brake is important but I've seen some people who tend to skip that. Especially when there's a lot of road salt at where u live during winter. Without lubing the sliding pins & edges of the pads etc u would have more & more clicking noise and eventually calipers may seize due to lack of lubrication.

U can get it done cheaper at some other local shops or mechanics. But not every single mechanic out there care about your car that much. Some would also suggest u to do something that u don't need(windshield washer fluid flush YES!). I personally will NOT recommend anyone taking a car to Mr.Lube coz I've seen customers came back with cracked oil filter housing on their Mazda3. U can have service done there but they definitely don't have qualified people & tools to do their job.

Maybe some places are different. My dealer will do an oil/filter change, tire rotation, fill any fluids, and CHECK everything for a B service ($200). They will not actually do any adjusting or fixing. I've had an actual B service done a few years on my Civic and thought it was a rip off then too because all they did was say, "oh, yeah, your brakes and treads are fine".

Today I had the Spring/Summer Performance package with an oil/filter change, tire rotation, fluid fill, and a CHECK for $75. Oh, and they told me my brakes and treads were excellent because there's only 13,000 km on it. That's good enough for me. The funny thing is that in the comments section they still said to have a B service done soon! That is just ridiculous. All they want is money and I fell like I'm being ripped off for 'checks' like that. I try to avoid the dealer as much as possible.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member
It quite depends on that single dealership/technician who works on your car. A spring special is a spring special, a B1 is a B1. They're NOT the same type of service if you ask me.

U're paying to have to the service done at the place. U have the right to ask for tread reading on brake percentage from these guys. "Oh, and they told me my brakes and treads were excellent because there's only 13,000 km on it." is not acceptable in my standard. There's always a chance of the alignment or tire pressure got knock off causing uneven wear.

I'm not sure if I mentioned about it before, in order to claim warranty on your vehicle Honda & other manufacturer do look into your vehicle's condition & service record. Even u do have all sorts of receipt, vehicle still look like in crappy shape there's still a chance to get a warranty request decline from them.