Buying a Fit in the Lower Mainland

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 05:46 AM
Question Buying a Fit in the Lower Mainland

Hello. New to the forums, registered today, but have been checking out this website for a month or so. Glad to see there is a local forum. (I'm in Abbotsford.) This is a bit of a lengthy post so my apologies... hopefully it can help other people as well who are in the market for a Fit... ( And I did search through the forum to see if this has been talked about elsewhere -- but didn't see anything, so here goes. )

I'm planning to buy a Fit in the next few days, and would really appreciate some advice. I'm going to be getting a Fit Sport with manual transmission, Vivid Blue.

Looking to get some accessories too:
- Defender Package (All weather floor mats + cargo tray)
- Cargo Cover
- Locking wheel nuts for the alloys
- Chrome exhaust finisher

So I'm trying to figure out what the reality is with prices right now in Greater Vancouver. Is it even worth trying to negotiate down from the MSRP? Anyone had any luck that way? Or got a break on accessories? I talked to a couple of salesman when doing two test drives who said that it's basically just MSRP and not much flexibility. That doesn't seem quite right to me -- don't the dealerships try to compete? Or is there so much demand for the Fit that they really don't need to?

My plan was to ask for a quote over the phone from 4 different dealeships. Just going to be very honest with them, tell them I'm ready to buy, I'm shopping price at 4 dealers, and give them the specs on the model + accessories. Best quote wins my business. Doesn't seem like it matters if you get your Fit serviced where you buy it, so to me this just seems like finding the right price anywhere in the Lower Mainland or Fraser Valley.

The current MSRP for that model is $19,580. Add to that $1,275 freight/PDI, and $679 for accessories. Total price before taxes: $21,534.

Wonder what kind of prices people have been able to get. And if it's even worth the hassle of trying to negotiate down, if the dealerships are pretty solid on their pricing.

The one thing I did see today on the net, was a $500 special internet-only "discount on your best deal", from Carter Honda. Haven't called them to confirm it.
http://www.carterhonda.com/specials.php?d=1

Anyone have a dealership/sales people who they've really liked? Anyone got a really good deal recently?

I'll let you know what I end up paying. Have been car shopping for 2 months and so glad to be wrapping this up!!!! Just in time for some summer road trips!

Thanks a lot..

Old 05-31-2007, 03:31 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Hi there, I'll throw out my 2 cents.

I'm also going to be buying a fit in a few months with the 2008's come out, so I've done a bit of research on this as well as visited a few dealerships.

The fit is built in Japan and demand is still healthy for it, so MSRP is what you are going to pay. But right now Honda has a promo where they will give you a $1000 ECO REBATE cash back type thing for the FIT, so enquire about this!

I think the best deal your going to get PAY MSRP, and get about $500-750 of accessories thrown in for free. Maybe get them to throw in some sort of undercoat spray or paint protector for free.

I think you are spot on with calling around 4 dealerships and stating your intentions.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the reply smatts..

I've started to phone around, and the responses are pretty much what you suggested. I'm hearing "$50 to $100" off the MSRP. Seems to be some flexibility on accessories.. "we'll give you them at cost" -- but as far as price goes they mention the $1000 rebate and that's it. I'm not going to get totally hung up over price, just figure a couple hours of phone calls might save some cash. Beer money. Oh ya, and GAS money.

I phoned Carter Honda and the $500 "internet discount" is no longer valid. They have a one-day special on accessories but that's it.

I have been trying to find out about the 2008 model -- but have found almost no info. Did read a long thread here on this website, but mostly a lot of speculation. Have you found out anything solid? Seems to me really unlikely that they'd bring in the 2007 model to North America for just one year, even if they are doing a full model change for the Jazz in other markets.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:19 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
I think I'm going to the Show and Shine at Happy Honda this weekend and I'm going to inquire about the 2008 models and see if I can dig anything up. Accessories at cost is not bad but you should definitely get some freebies like all weather floor mats and maybe a cargo cover.