Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 07:05 PM
Retired Moderator
So did you finally get it in dave?

Old 09-23-2007, 09:12 PM
header

Originally Posted by Illusive
So did you finally get it in dave?
premature ejaculation.............i was so excited when it poped, i sent my note.......when i went back to it, i realized the "pop" came from it slipping off......................so nuts!!! off to a muffler shop i guess..i don't screw with this one myself too much......hopefully they will have better tools/processes to get the bolt out...........

Old 09-23-2007, 09:48 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by davevm
premature ejaculation.............i was so excited when it poped, i sent my note.......when i went back to it, i realized the "pop" came from it slipping off......................so nuts!!! off to a muffler shop i guess..i don't screw with this one myself too much......hopefully they will have better tools/processes to get the bolt out...........
ROFLMAO! Good luck with the install Dave, hope they can get it in there for ya. FYI, looks like the supercharger is going to run us $3500+...the + because it is in the states and importing it over the border is going to be rape...

Old 09-23-2007, 10:17 PM
i have found the speed shops can get the stuff here at usd prices without the duty etc...don;t ask me how, but if it is available in the states at, say $2500, then we will be able to get it here at $2500......there r other ways......

Old 09-23-2007, 10:30 PM
Retired Moderator
Well according to the thread, it'll be about 3500...thats a bit too high for me...

Old 09-23-2007, 10:58 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by davevm
lol, that bolt sounds like a nightmare! I was lucky, my friend who can bench a couple of me was there cracking the manifold nuts for me

Sooo... my new exhuast system is super cool!!! (er... Sorry Dave, but I gotta get it out or I am going to explode!) I have been out playing with it all day, man I even had a couple of tuner cars trying to taunt me now that I have that huge exhuast tip on it I try not to get sucked into it, but a few lurches forward with a low pitched exhuast note becide them is always fun! So much more power in the upper end right now, once I get it off the line there is a huge difference in acceleration. I swear getting up to like 80 clicks right when merging from nothing now is effortless compared to before. When I am moving and I stomp on it, it pulls hard and lets out a low bass note that you would expect out of an Infiniti!!

3500 isn't too bad for the supercharger, still cheaper than the turbo and you get to keep your new header Dave! I would join you, but I gotta take it a bit easy for a while on the pocket book... although I said that about the exhuast.... and the header.... er... and everything else. haha, Just wait till Autocross, these little cars move! Believe me, there is nothing left to be desired when you hit that track.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:02 PM
Retired Moderator
well the T1R turbo will be a bit more expensive, but I think you get more power out of it...AHHHHHH I dunno what to do...

Old 09-23-2007, 11:23 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Do it!! Get the Turbo Just think about how fast your Fit would be, and how fast you could get Ben to ship you out a kit! If you really get to it you can have that baby installed by next Friday

Look, I made a commemorative fantasy picture! Although I think you might have a hard time getting sponcered by Mopar, lol!!

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 09-23-2007 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:43 PM
Retired Moderator
ROFLMAO!!! MOPAR FIT!!!! Can I use that img in my sig?!?!

Such a tough decision...T1R's 6# turbo kit gives more power than the SC...I think they dynoed at ~145hp and ~135ftlb torque. If you factor in the cost of the headers, it turns out to be the same price...what to do...

Old 09-24-2007, 12:00 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
lol, your sig pic.. nice

It sounds like everybody and their dog are getting the supercharger. I can't blame them, it puts down instant power without the turbo lag. But if you are looking for the upper end power Turbo all the way, plus you can save money on the header! The other thing is who knows when they will finally start to distribute the JR kit, getting a hold of them is going to be tough too.

Your thinking about this too much, just put the call in Monday morning!

Old 09-24-2007, 12:03 AM
from what i have been told the supercharger will run on day without too much stress on the engine ..the turbo on the other hand...besides, i figure that bolt is not coming off...i cranked on that puppy to the point that my feet were off the ground...i don't expect the muffler shop to get it off, but i gotta give it a try....i will not have them install the header, just get that bolt if they can.....so if you decide on a supercharger you can buy my header at a good price illusive.....i am envious of you sugarphreak..i like the speed thing..so am down about my header install....

sugarphreak, in one of your notes you said the breaker bar was pulled to break the bolt loose...so am wondering about that breaker bar...is it angled or something? i can't see how it would clear the top deck at the back of the engine bay???to get the drivers side bolt, i am pushing rather than pulling??? thanks

Old 09-24-2007, 12:31 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
I had a choice between about 5 different breaker bars, I choose a smaller one that just clears the top of the engine compartment. It was a medium length 1/2" drive (mabye about 8" or 9" long) , if you use it with a shallow socket it angles it out too much and the force you need to apply makes it slip off. If you try to use an extension with a shallow socket it puts the bar too far towards the back of the engine creating the same problem. The best combo I found was a deep socket, plus it helps it stay on the bolt better. You MUST have somebody reaching in around the driver side part of the engine between the battery and holding the socket on the bolt or it will slip!! Hmmmm, I am just thinking, with my CAI my engine bay is pretty clear around there now, you might have lots of stuff in your way. I was reaching my hand under the CAI into the back to hold the socket there.

....er (visually picturing tightening and loosening directions), dammit! Sorry your pushing, not pulling!!! Right, because when it finally cracks your hand will fly into the top of the engine compartment sheering lots of skin off of one of your fingers.... think of it as a sign of accomplishment and duct tape it to stop the bleeding. If you can find somebody with a lot of body weight to put into it that will also help, plus they end up with the giant gash on their finger instead.

This is all pretty new to me, I was getting a bit worried when I first started on those bolts because I couldn't crack even the first one on my own. My friend who helped me is a lot stronger and bigger than me, if the muffer shop can't get it maybe I can talk him into coming over and giving you a hand too If you could get your hands on a loaner air ratchet that would be perfect for this job.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:37 AM
i was using a bar that came with a set i had, but it was nothing like the one you have pictured here...just a straight bar with the 1/2" for the socket........where did you get this weapon of mass destruction? and how much?

Old 09-24-2007, 12:47 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
lol, the tool from the pic is the air ratchet. For my install I used just a standard breaker bar, this is the tool I wish I had (Probably the one you need) You should be able to pick up a loaner ratchet and compressor from somewhere. Just make sure you use the black air-tool sockets and not standard sockets!! You probably want one rated for 100ft/lbs or more of torque.

Here is a local place that rents tools, they most likely have what you need.
Radar's Rentals...Sanders, pressure washers, compressors, post hole augers, generators we have it all.

House of tools might also have some ratchets for cheap if you can only get a compressor.
House of Tools - Air Ratchets - Category

Man, once I finally get around to flipping my Condo for a house my garage is going to be outfitted with a full set of air tools. Doing stuff manually sucks balls!! If I had to do this install again knowing what I know... I would have rented the damn air tools.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 09-24-2007 at 12:59 AM.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:52 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
So..... what happened???? Been a whole day Dave!

Old 09-25-2007, 10:13 PM
Thumbs up t1r header

Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
So..... what happened???? Been a whole day Dave!
finally..everything you said about the performance is dead on sugarphreak!!! very nice!!! exceeeelllleeeeent!!! and that is without the cat back!!!

how may u ask? the boys as speed tech got to purchase a new tool today, an air chisel...the bolt was vertually melted to the head...the air chisel spun 'er out!!

I spent some time with the boys at speed tech after work when i picked up the car...some watch outs for us: the car will most likely run leaner, so run a 35mm gap on the plugs..stock is 45mm i believe, 4 me, not so much until i get the cat back, but u should do it now....

also, i should be checking my oil regularly..because i max out the torque curve almost every shift...not so bad for our engiine design but i just saw a spoon vtec engine with a hole in the side....

as for the sway bar..one of the best suspension purchases for the fit i am told..will plant the front end like a beamer...and illusive, keep that front strut bar!!

supercharger, $3500, install and dyno and tune $1500, $5k touch...but maybe the self install isn't too bad..better than turbo, as power is always there, not like the turbo where it comes all at once...the supercharger allows a linear disharge, thus perfect for autocross.....

so vip in a couple of weeks, passenger side seat rail any day, rear hatch bumper fill in, sway bar any day, and need to find a good rear stabilizer bar...then done for the year! hey, check out the fits in the latest siphon mag........ours r so much better!!! we should start our own mag!!jdmish will be the photo guy, sugarphreak the tech dude, i'll just cuss at everyone and sell subscriptions, and illusive can be the face of the company..the guy that gets us into all the cool cars to test drive!! we just need a hot chick to write for us and model the cars!!!

then think hard about the supercharger...when the car says "fun fit" ya better have some balls!!

hello to the speed tech guys and bob the wheel and tire guy for canada!!!
had a hell of a good time bench racing today!!!!!a great bunch of car guys!!!

Old 09-26-2007, 01:02 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Wow, that bolt sounds like a total monster! Good old air tools fix everything . Glad to hear you are enjoying the extra power, just wait until you get the VIP system. I am sure your car will be making even more omph, the only downside is I notice a LOT of tuner cars egging me on now at lights since I stuck on the muffler. I have read lots about the front sway bar, really looking forward to getting it in. I am pretty sure BE has the best bar availaible right now as far as construction and materials use goes. Illusive says the rear bar is also a pretty good investment, maybe if we are nice to him he will setup a group buy!

Interesting note about the spark plugs, I will have to re-gap mine when I get the chance. Anybody know what the access is like to the plugs?

I am due for my first oil change, my little orange wrench icon showed up on Sunday. I am going to make the switch to synthetic oil when I go in. I have a free oil change at the dealer, but it is just standard oil... and I have to drive all the way out to High River Not worth it.

lol, you want me as your tech dude!! Man, I know jack about Honda's!! I could tear a Jeep engine apart and put it back together in one afternoon, Honda engines scare the crap out of me! There are things in that engine bay I have no idea what they are

I say nobody goes FI until next year so we all don't go broke trying to keep up

Old 09-26-2007, 09:35 AM
Retired Moderator
I will definitely go broke if I go FI...I don't think I can afford it. I need to save up for my edumication...I think I will stick to NA, just get the headers, test pipe, and maybe the J's intake. I'll be finished...I don't think the SC is worth it. 5k for the full install, it'd be nice to have the power on hand, but for me, I don't find a need for it.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:03 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Yeah to be honest with the headers and full exhuast system I am more than happy. The only other think I want performance wise is the T1R pulley setup and maybe a front strut bar.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:09 AM
Retired Moderator
Yeah, I really really really want the SC, but after looking at how much I've made since I started internship in May and how much I actually have in my account, I'm kinda ashamed...I went a bit overboard on the car, clothes, and my trip to Vegas. Gotta hunker down after I do a few more things (spoken like a true addict...seriously I think I have a problem lol...car mods are like nicotine to me...just more expensive). Gotta save up for tuition and to pay off my small student loan I got in 1st year...

Quick Reply: Calgary & Alberta Fit Owners?