General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Wheel Hop...anyone else notice it as much as I do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
Wheel Hop...anyone else notice it as much as I do?

When acceling from a stop either turning or sometimes even just going straight:
If I take off quickly I will sometime encounter some wheel hop and it's really bad.
I think it's it's caused from the single wheel spinning and clinging for traction but must it so violently hop? Even when I modulate the throttle it does very little to subdue the hippity hoppy Fit.
I feel like an LSD would be the only saving option but would some stiffer sway bar/strut tower bar action help to keep both sides planted?
...this car needs an LSD so bad...when I auto x...every time i come out of a corner the loss of traction is retarded (just because it will lift up the inside wheel and spin it...which is funneh cause this car is low on power)

Last edited by GoFits; 10-30-2006 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
Yup! I notice the wheel hop, and its annoying as hell. Or maybe I just don't know how to drive...

Old 10-30-2006, 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by GoFits
If I take off quickly I will sometime encounter some wheel hop and it's really bad.
there you go :P its a fuel efficient car not a nascar

Old 10-31-2006, 12:39 AM
yeah i used to get some wheel hop but, i learned to take off quickly without wheel spin

Old 10-31-2006, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by claymore
WARNING!!! If you keep driving with wheel hop and don't QUICKLY get off the gas to get it to stop or learn to start quickly without wheel hop you are looking to very quickly destroy your spider gears in your differential. The wheel hop is your wheels bouncing while under heavy acceleration and trying to go and lifting off the pavement and spinning at high speed with no load then slamming down to a full stop when it hits the pavement on the down stroke ...... not good for your spider gears and it's even worse it you do it when the wheels are not straight because then your get "run over" where one wheel has to be going faster then the other so loading forces on the spider gears are increased severely. If you want to keep your spider gears for more than a few weeks do not let your car get into wheel hop.
Agree...

This is due to the lack of a LSD. But seriously, if you are experiencing this on a strait take off, the you are seriously abusing of the little Fit more than I do ( AND THAT'S IS A LOT TO SAY!!).

I experience hopping while really tight curves at a moderate fast to really fast going, and also at the track in a very closed hairpin, but not under normal driving even taking off real quik to get onto position in trafic.

Point: DON'T ABUSE!!!

Old 10-31-2006, 12:48 PM
5 Year Member
Heres a easy n fast fix...SLOW DOWN......Nuff said....

Old 10-31-2006, 12:51 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
I had wheelhop at the burnout pit for the drag races.. lol idk how yall are taking off but i dont ever have wheel hop less iam goin to for a quick takeoff

Old 10-31-2006, 01:37 PM
It's an economy car, not a drag racer. If you're getting wheel hop, you're GETTING ON IT TOO HARD.

Old 10-31-2006, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member
I've never had wheel hop.

With my AT, I can't get them to spin unless it is raining!!

Also, no problem with inside wheel spinning at an autocross. Yes, I've run one. They laughed, saying it looked like a Citroen with the body lean!! They even said that I was "packing" the inside rear tire (meaning it was lifting off the pavement.) But, no spinning the inside front.

Now, if I were autocrossing in the rain, THAT would be a different story!!!

Old 10-31-2006, 03:10 PM
Wish I had THAT much power in mine!!!

Old 10-31-2006, 05:01 PM
5 Year Member
WELL NO SHIT IT'S BAD...
I know that.

I do get MOST of the hop in the rain...
Which is why I was asking if there is anything I can do to minimize wheel hop.
*Happens mostly in rain and happens mostly while turning.*

"LOL SLOW DOWN" wow genius response...

Old 10-31-2006, 05:29 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
I rarely do this, unless I am stop and going up a steep hill. I think you're launching your car too hard. release clutch slowly and gas slowly.

Old 10-31-2006, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
solid torque mounts are usually the answer to keeping wheel hop down

Old 10-31-2006, 07:32 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Better tires work. The tires on the Fit suck, even the HFP wheels/tires are crap.
I know the damage of wheel hop. My Mx6 gets a good amount, Im on my 5th trans.

Old 11-01-2006, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
Ugghhhh....It doesn't happen a lot. I just wonder why it happens at all...my Maxima didn't have this problem..it would just spin the tires into a smokey haze...never had to worry about hopping off the road.

less powerful engine + more traction = hop? whaaaaa?...no.
Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
Better tires work. The tires on the Fit suck, even the HFP wheels/tires are crap.
I know the damage of wheel hop. My Mx6 gets a good amount, Im on my 5th trans.
Kumho Ecsta SPT's are actually pretty decent tires...but not asssss grippy as I'd like. Treadwear is nice though..

Old 11-02-2006, 05:11 AM
Someone that Posts too much
Not an issue with CVT transmission cause take off is crap. Once launched its fine. The world would never hear the end of the whinging if the CVT was sold in the US.

Last edited by vividjazz; 11-02-2006 at 05:15 AM.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vividjazz
Not an issue with CVT transmission cause take off is crap. Once launched its fine. The world would never hear the end of the whinging if the CVT was sold in the US.
Too Funny!

I have the same, but not hop, but hop/spin, in the rain, mostly on the white stop bars. But, I have had this in Suzuki, Renault, Toyota, Citroen..... The lesser HP cars were generally the worst for this. Just let up for a second, and no problem.

Old 11-02-2006, 06:12 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
the car hops because the wheels are spinning in place and its so freakin light on its feet it just hops, unlike your maxima which would stay solid on the ground it probably weight alot more..

Old 11-02-2006, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sLiVeRwOrM
the car hops because the wheels are spinning in place and its so freakin light on its feet it just hops, unlike your maxima which would stay solid on the ground it probably weight alot more..
yeah that's true..it tipped the scales at around 3200lbs...fit just scrapes into 2500lbs...a bit of a weight difference. same size tires almost however

Old 11-04-2006, 04:58 PM
wheel hop here

yeah i noticed the wheel hop early on (Sport fit MT). when i drive to work in the morning there is a right turn onto the freeway and if you get a green you can take the corner as fast as you want. Funny my 96 civic mt never hopped on this turn. But thanks for the warning about staying away from wheel hop. I wonder if a tougher set of dampers would help any.

Quick Reply: Wheel Hop...anyone else notice it as much as I do?