General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Just bought my Fit, and I want to get rid of the extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 08:51 PM
Just bought my Fit, and I want to get rid of the extended warranty

They managed to sucker me into the extended warranty, and I didn't realize it until I got home. Isn't there a 3 day law that allows you to change your mind on things like this?

Does anyone have experience on this type of thing? What exactly do I need to do?

I bought the car on Wednesday, so I want to do this tomorrow.

Old 10-19-2006, 09:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mateo
They managed to sucker me into the extended warranty, and I didn't realize it until I got home. Isn't there a 3 day law that allows you to change your mind on things like this?

Does anyone have experience on this type of thing? What exactly do I need to do?

I bought the car on Wednesday, so I want to do this tomorrow.
Not sure how this would have been done without your knowledge, but if so, starting here:

http://tax.utah.gov/mved/

The only mention of extended warranty in the handbook is on page 16, but this is ensuring the dealer pays the third party.

Your best bet is your State's Atty General:

http://attorneygeneral.utah.gov/fraud.html

Let us know the outcome.

Old 10-19-2006, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by Spule 4
Not sure how this would have been done without your knowledge,
It was one of those situations where they presented me all of the warranty options. Thinking I didn't want the extended warranty I instantly said in my mind "no way" to the other higher priced options and I focused on the lowest of the options, thinking it was the standard option that came "free" with the car.

After all was said and done I looked at the paperwork and realized that this warranty cost me almost $1200.

I'm certain that everything they did was by the book, even if it was sneaky.

Old 10-19-2006, 10:50 PM
5 Year Member
Did they not do an itemized deal sheet with each item spelled out?

Old 10-19-2006, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
Was this a HONDA CARE warranty? If so, you have sixty days from the date of purchase to cancel it. I cancelled mine after I realized it was a rip.

For the rest of my story: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/honda-fit-dealer-reviews/9203-beware-extended-warranty-gouging.html

Old 10-19-2006, 11:37 PM
5 Year Member
heh, they had me sucked... thankfully my mom said no.

Old 10-20-2006, 09:41 AM
I bought my Fit from this same dealer a few days before Mateo. During the "business" part of the deal, the finance guy showed me 3 options, a VERY expensive one, an expensive one, and an less expensive one. I declined all three. I'm assuming Mateo accepted on the less expensive one.

Mateo, did they get you for the anit-theft glass-etching too? That's kind of thrown in there with everything else but you can reject that as well. It's a $298 addon. Even if they edched the glass, you can reject the theft policy and still save the bucks. Usually, this dealer etches the glass during dealer prep so it's on ALL the cars they sell. For some reason, the didn't etch mine which was fine since I rejected the policy for it anyway.

Old 10-20-2006, 09:48 AM
One more thing to add. Between my wife and I, this Fit is the 55th car we've owned (i.e., that our name has been on the title.) 36 of these, including the Fit, have been new.

I've dealt with finance guys in LOTS of places and have had LOTS of practice at recognizing what I can say no to without feeling guilty, stupid, ... I also had a friend a few years back (not sure I should admit he was a friend ) that was a finance guy at a local Toyota dealership. It was quite interesting to listed to all the tricks of the trade that these guys practice.

Last edited by drfoster; 10-20-2006 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by drfoster
I bought my Fit from this same dealer a few days before Mateo. During the "business" part of the deal, the finance guy showed me 3 options, a VERY expensive one, an expensive one, and an less expensive one. I declined all three. I'm assuming Mateo accepted on the less expensive one.

Mateo, did they get you for the anit-theft glass-etching too? That's kind of thrown in there with everything else but you can reject that as well. It's a $298 addon. Even if they edched the glass, you can reject the theft policy and still save the bucks. Usually, this dealer etches the glass during dealer prep so it's on ALL the cars they sell. For some reason, the didn't etch mine which was fine since I rejected the policy for it anyway.
For me they showed me four options, and I chose the least expensive thinking it was the standard package. Of course they didn't tell me how much option would cost, but they did tell me how much my payments would be with each warranty option. sneaky sneaky.

My glass came pre-etched with the number, which according to them is standard.

I'm going to call them back in an hour and tell them that I want the extended warranty removed. I'll drive in there if I have to. I'm wondering if I should record the phone call just to cover my bases.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:58 AM
For them, the etching is standard, but you DON'T have to pay the $298 for the anti-theft insurance policy that backs it.

Old 10-20-2006, 11:14 AM
sneaky sneaky dealers! mine made me think that they took off 700 dollars off of the extended waranty but later when i got home they just sold it to me at regular price. DAMN THOSE SNEAKY DEALERS!

Old 10-20-2006, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mateo
For me they showed me four options, and I chose the least expensive thinking it was the standard package. Of course they didn't tell me how much option would cost, but they did tell me how much my payments would be with each warranty option. sneaky sneaky.

My glass came pre-etched with the number, which according to them is standard.

I'm going to call them back in an hour and tell them that I want the extended warranty removed. I'll drive in there if I have to. I'm wondering if I should record the phone call just to cover my bases.
So they did not show this in the total worksheet? Hmmm, I would be calling the BBB and AG also.

My glass is not etched, this is no way standard, I would not want it either.

Utah is a one party consent state for recording phonecalls, so as long as you know you are doing it, you are above board.

Old 10-20-2006, 05:38 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
I ended up buying an extended warranty for $1200 (7 year, 100,000 miles, $100 deductable), and also wanted to back out a few days later.

I COULD back out, but the problem was that since we financed everything, the only way to truely get the money back and lower your monthly payments is to re-apply for financing. When we came back days later, the interest rates had already increased and it wouldn't have benifited us to cancel the loan. All they would have done is put the money paid for the warranty towards the loan, and we would have had 4 less car payments at the end of our 6-year loan period. The monthly payments would have stayed the same since the financing was already done.

It's DAMN sneaky, because they had told me I could cancel when I got it... they just didn't explain that it would be a pain.

I ended up keeping my warranty, since I know we'll have this car for 10+ years and it's only a 4 car payment difference. I'm sure it'll come in handy at some point in the Fit's life, I just hope it's worth the $1200.

So... it sucks, but I also learned from my experience. NEVER get the extended warranty, and you can always buy one after you get the car if you change your mind. Heck, you can even get one right before the car hits 36k if you feel like it has been having issues.

Good luck on your decision!

Old 10-20-2006, 06:02 PM
Just FYI.. I called them and went back in today. I was able to remove the extended warranty without a problem. Since they had not sent in my paperwork to American Honda Finance yet, they changed everything right away.

It only took 10 minutes, and saved me $30/mo.

Old 10-23-2006, 01:36 AM
can i cancel it at any dealer or the dealer that i bought the car from?

Old 10-29-2006, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by quangalang
can i cancel it at any dealer or the dealer that i bought the car from?
You have to get your refund from the same dealer who sold you the Honda Care warranty (probably the same dealer as sold you the car).

I don't see anywhere in the contract that it says you have to physically go there in person so you might be able to handle it by phone or mail. Worth a try.

You can find the contract language in section V Cancellation of Contract subsection C. It gets more complicated if you financed the purchase.

For some reason, New Yorkers pay a penalty, so lucky you live in CA!

Last edited by ifitfitz; 10-29-2006 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:13 AM
i jsut canceled mine this weekend they didnt hassel me or anything, the whole process took about 5 mins of just filling out the waranty cancelation request form. YES! im getting back 1300 bucks

Old 10-30-2006, 02:44 PM
My dealer tried to do the same to me. I was shown four options, and at first I thought the least expensive option was what came standard with the car. Then something clicked in my head and I asked "how much is it without any of this?". That was when the finance guy finally showed me some financing without any extra crap.