General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fuel Tank Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 07:33 PM
Fuel Tank Trouble

Well, I was on a trip this weekend and when I stopped for what I thought would be 8 galllons of gas, I could only get 4 in due to splash back and bubbling etc. I quit and expected the gauge to show the lack of gas, but it was completely full.... ? Next stop, the gauge had not moved off full, but I forced in 3-4 gallons. So, I think I have a busted fuel gauge sensor/float and something has blocked the vent lines to let the air out of the tank. It's going to Honda Tuesday to drop the tank. I'll let you know what we find! BTW, it's now 4 months old and 8000 miles.

Old 10-16-2006, 10:50 PM
5 Year Member
Maybe I'm just weird, or something.

I've NEVER put less than 11 gallons in my Fit. I always top off the tank. After doing so, it takes at least 100 miles before my gauge moves off of full. I'm usually around 250 miles before it reaches 1/2. I fill up when the fuel light comes on, and I usually add around 12 gallons to it. The most I have put in was 12.6 gallons.

Maybe my tank is made out of rubber or something, but it works fine for me!!

YMMV!

Old 10-16-2006, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by wyy183

I've NEVER put less than 11 gallons in my Fit. I always top off the tank. After doing so, it takes at least 100 miles before my gauge moves off of full. I'm usually around 250 miles before it reaches 1/2. I fill up when the fuel light comes on, and I usually add around 12 gallons to it. The most I have put in was 12.6 gallons.

YMMV!
Isn't the tank's capacity rated at 10.5 or something? If you look underneath there is a significant amount of travel from the fill-up neck to the tank....this may have not been included in the tank's capacity spec, but I find it hard to believe you're getting an extra 2 gallons or so in the fill-up line!

Old 10-16-2006, 11:07 PM

YMMV!
Yea, I don't understand this. The capacity is 10.5 or 10.8 gallons. I normally start out full, and at the half-way point it would take 5 gallons to refill it. The gauge used to immediately start moving down. The light would come on at about 9 gallons used; with about 1.5 gallons left.

Old 10-16-2006, 11:24 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
I stop filling when the gas thing clicks the first time.. it starts moving right away.. as in i dont have to go 100miles before it to start going down..
I also fill up when I get CLOSE to empty so it usually only takes about 8gallons to fill..

Old 10-17-2006, 01:23 AM
same numbers for me! the girl at the gas station don't believe me when I say that I have an extra 155 miles!! She didn't believe me when I told her that the tank is in front! Now I go to another gas station... :-)))

Old 10-17-2006, 01:34 AM
I hope it's not like other cars and the excess fuel is going in the vent system to the carbon-canister for the emission system! That would be a big problem later down the road.... Let us know!

or could be too that the flow from the pump-nozzle was a little high??? That's why it kept on clicking???

Old 10-17-2006, 01:45 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net

YMMV!
could ur tank be leaking? what is the average # of miles you dirve per fillup?

Old 10-17-2006, 03:49 AM
5 Year Member

YMMV!
I do exactly the same thing i fill up and most of the time i put in 11.9 gallons and it doesn't move from full until around 115 miles and hits half at 250 and when the light comes on its at around 400 miles... Jst verifyin that your not the only one

Old 10-17-2006, 12:43 PM
5 Year Member
Why top off?

Old 10-17-2006, 01:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by glockprime
Why top off?
Before I topped off I was averaging 300 miles per tank now im getting 400 so less trips to the pump!

Old 10-17-2006, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
For what it's worth:
http://www.epa.gov/donttopoff/

Old 10-17-2006, 03:41 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
^ Exactly. I don't understand why people are proud about choking an extra ounce of fuel into the tank. It's not like it gets you better MPG.

I always have to tell the folks here not to top up, and even then they forget half the time and I have to tell them to stop. No, we can't pump our own gas in Oregon. I guess they assume we're stupid.

Mobortho, let us know what you find out!

Old 10-17-2006, 05:35 PM

YMMV!

Negative, you're probably forcing gasoline into the evaporative recovery system... which will eventually destroy it.

Do not fill anything more than when the pump stops. It stops for a reason.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:13 PM
you guys are going to destroy your charcoal canister, and ill be the first one to laugh

Old 10-17-2006, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by Packy
First report: they could not find anything wrong with vent lines and the gauge tested out fine electrically. They went and filled it up with about 6 gallons getting some splashback. They said hold the pump out part way... I never had to do that before. That 6 gallons calculated out as 45 MPG, when I've never had over 36... So I still don't think it's right; or the tank wasn't full. Service manager is going to drive it 38 miles home and back tonight and see what the gauge does over 76 miles. More tomorrow.

Old 10-17-2006, 08:17 PM
This is why I hate U.S. States that don't allow you to pump your own gas. I live in NY but usually get my gas in New Jersey because of the lower prices. In New Jersey, your not allowed to pump your own gas. It pisses me off when the service attendant tops-off just to round off to the dollar. As mentioned on some energy/fuel saving websites, there are gas pumps that have anti-spillage and vapor recovery systems and you may just be paying for gasoline that is fed back into the station's tanks.

This is why I don't ask the attendant to fill up but instead, try to estimate how much gas I need and tell him to put a set-dollar-amount in.

Old 10-17-2006, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by edstroyer
This is why I don't ask the attendant to fill up but instead, try to estimate how much gas I need and tell him to put a set-dollar-amount in.
smart.....

Old 10-18-2006, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by Packy
Second report: the service manager drove it 70 miles overnight, and the needle moved down some, so he didn't want to drop the tank yet. I filled it back up at 75 miles and put 3 gallons in... so I think the guy yesterday probably should have put 6.5-7 in to get a more realistic mileage, and today's fill-up would have been 2-2.5 or so for a better mileage on these last 75 miles. Combining those 9 gallons gives an average of 37.6 MPG. Anyway, I think they did clear some blockage from the vent lines without noticing it. I was able to put those 3 gallons in today with less gurgling and splash-back. I'm going to keep a close log of fill-ups for the next 1000 miles or so to get a more accurate MPG, and then report back to the dealer.

Old 11-17-2006, 10:48 PM
Here's an update: From 10/18 to 11/17, I drove 1416 miles with 6 tanks totalling 46.5 gallons for 30.5 MPG of combined (mostly city) driving.

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Trouble