General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

My impression of the Fit

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 07:12 PM
My impression of the Fit

It is disappointing. It doesn't get the gas mileage. It is very slow. And the looks could use something? I own a 2006 Civic Si, my wife owns the Fit. When I drive the Fit, I feel like there is something missing. My brother owns a 2007 Toyota Yaris S. It gets way better gas mileage then the fit. My SI gets 27 MPG on City/Highway. Go figure.l

Old 10-14-2006, 07:30 PM
Well....in its defense, the Fit IS about 5yrs old. Although, at the time of its inital introduction, it was ahead of its time. Even now, despite its age, it STILL makes more Hp than most others in its class...and has the best looking interior, IMO. And remember, this IS a sub-compact...if you're looking for speed and performance, you're looking at the wrong place (however, it DOES out perform all others in its class).

I agree that the Fit "could use something?", but still, gas milage is about the only thing the Yaris has over the Fit...and sedan format (I wish Honda would also offer a sedan version). Overall, the Fit is still the best buy, IMO...just ask anyone over at Motortrend, Automobile Mag, Road & Track, etc.

Old 10-15-2006, 03:44 AM
5 Year Member
is this some kinda troll?

Old 10-15-2006, 04:27 AM
i think the reason why you think something is missing is because you're comparing the fit the to civic SI

Old 10-15-2006, 06:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hiroko12
It is disappointing. It doesn't get the gas mileage. It is very slow. And the looks could use something? I own a 2006 Civic Si, my wife owns the Fit. When I drive the Fit, I feel like there is something missing. My brother owns a 2007 Toyota Yaris S. It gets way better gas mileage then the fit. My SI gets 27 MPG on City/Highway. Go figure.l
It all depends what you are expecting from the FIT. It is Honda's entry level vehicle.

The FIT is not a hybrid so don't expect 40+ mpg and yes the Yaris does get better gas mileage but it also is much slower- so I guess that makes the Yaris "very very slow". The 0-60 times and my recent test drive confirm that.

The FIT comes with standard safety features that are optional on the Yaris and in fact when I tried to order a Yaris with the safety features I wanted I was told that Toyota doesn't send them to the dealerships with those options (side curtain airbags)- or at least they have never seen a Yaris with that option... yet.

The SI is not comparible in any way to the FIT. Maybe that is the something missing. The MSRP difference will reflect that. I would venture to say that some drivers may find that both the SI and the FIT are fun to drive. The same cannot be said of the Yaris (just basic transportation).

The FIT has much more going for it- check out the very unique interior design both for people and cargo hauling- try that out with the Yaris or the Civic. Too bad the Civic no longer has a wagon model. But no need for that since Honda has the FIT.

Yaris has base prices that start pretty low. Add the right equiptment to equal that found in the FIT and the difference isn't much. The Yaris design is only a tad better than the Echo. Supply for the hatchback Yaris is poor while the sedan is abundant. Too bad Honda cannot make enough FITs to keep up with the demand.

My 06 Civic EX gets 34 mpg on City/Hwy. Go Figure.

Old 10-15-2006, 06:10 AM
cars i've owned and currently own is my "old" 2002 acura rsx type-s with a k20a engine and transmission, tein flex suspension, etc. etc. the list goes on. A 2003 Nissan 350z with a greddy twin turbo built by scott performance of santa clara, now pushing 430whp to the rear wheels. My girlfriend just recently bought a 2006 subaru wrx. and my brother's car is a 300whp 1991 toyota mr2.

now what's the point of me saying all this? well i just bought myself a 2007 storm silver metallic fit and i'll just tell you this. with a little amount of basic modifications i believe the fit has enough potential to outhandle the rsx, 350z, wrx, and mr2.

civic Si? such a weak comparison.

Old 10-15-2006, 06:14 AM
oh and the interior of the fit is even built better than my nissan. now i paid $37k (when it was first out) for the z, for my $17k fit to have a better interior.

now that's go figure

Old 10-15-2006, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
Check your tire pressure. We bought the car on May 30th and the milage was disappointing. When I checked the tire pressure it was 24 lb. instead of the recommened pressure. I think the dealers under inflate the tires during the make ready to give the car a softer ride. With the tires properly inflated to 32 lb. the ride is noisier and stiffer, but the mileage went from 25 to 32 miles per gallon. Personally I like the stiffer ride.

Old 10-16-2006, 12:34 AM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
The only car I compare the Fit to out of its own Honda line up is the EP3 (Mini-minivan)
Its basically a 2 door Fit with more power. Although the Fit is just as fast. Hahaha! Well, here in FL they all run 16's. Even modded ones.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:29 AM
I've got 40MPG MT. I love it!

Old 10-16-2006, 07:10 AM
5 Year Member
my jazz, handled very well (stock), after i got my tanabe springs and some lightweight rims, the ride is amazing i could take curves at 90 - 110 km easily without sliding, it weaves thru cars easily without bodyroll. oh and i also have civic 2002 , and i still prefer my jazz. as for MPGs and all dat, it never really bothered me
no regrets!!!

Old 10-16-2006, 12:54 PM
Well, that's a shame. Maybe you should just stay out of your wife's Fit. If she's anything like me she probably doesn't want you to drive it anyway!!!

And regarding gas mileage? I've got an AT Sport. I'm getting very good gas mileage. Last stat was 38-39. I'm pleased with that. Peace out!

Old 10-16-2006, 01:44 PM
iwillfit
I wish everyone had the same experience with their new Fit as I have. First tank I was getting 34-36 MPG, lowest has been 28, highest 42. I have found the fit and finish to be excellent, the engine to be very sporty and the handling amazing. In short, probably one of the best all around cars I have ever owned or driven.

I don't try to compare this car to a sports car but you can very easily. Plenty of magazine articles, solo racers and personal experience can attest to that. I don't try to compare it to a "luxury" car either but it has features not typically found on a car in this price range. Six airbags, standard ABS, Acura quality gauges, excellent (for my 5 speed base model) clutch and shift feel.

The Porsches that I've driven obviously out perform the little Fit, but I don't remember being able to load my entire closet into the Carrera 4S Cabriolet I rented one time, or being able to carry four people comfortably either.

I am still regularly stopped by people on the street wanting to know what kind of car it is, what year model is it, what is my gas mileage, how much can it hold, on and on. Buy a new Suzuki, Toyota, or Mazda and see if that happens. That's the real beauty of the Fit!

Old 10-16-2006, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by UprisinFit
i think the reason why you think something is missing is because you're comparing the fit the to civic SI
YEP! The Civic SI... and wish I had one... not the car JUST THE ENGINE!!

Old 10-16-2006, 01:57 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Is it manual or auto?

One thing to note. b/c of the VTEC, the fit is like many cars in one. Which car that comes out depends on how you drive and it varies greatly. f you drive it fast, you have a low mileage fast car. drive it lightly, you have a high mileage slow car.

Old 10-16-2006, 03:09 PM
Heh, you and that other guy in the Gas Mileage thread love to compare this car to the SI; they DEFINITELY aren't the same car, or even in the same class (especially since the SI is no longer offered as a hatch).

Old 10-16-2006, 07:36 PM
The Fit will probably out handle my Porsche.... that is, until I get the sway bars in, and some stiffer torsion bars!

Old 10-16-2006, 11:01 PM
Perhaps Honda should offer a Fit Si! But another topic which has already been suggested I'm sure.

I know I'd be interested in one for sure.