General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Sportsman/Outdoorsman FIT Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 03:22 PM
Sportsman/Outdoorsman FIT Review

I traded my Tundra in and bought my silver FIT Sport 4 months ago, due to my increase in travels for work. On the other hand, I did not want to sacrifice my activities that I grew up doing because I didn't have a vehicle that could take me there. I chose the Honda FIT because of course the name and what the salesman sold me on about the extreme test Honda did on the FIT on the chasis and engine. The price was also right and if I tore something up I wouldn't feel so bad because it didn't cost me an arm and a leg.

I already have 15k miles on it including many backpacking/biking/fishing trips. Needless to say to do these kind of activities you don't take the friendliest roads there. Since I got my FIT I have not babied it (sometimes regretting it) on hard roads to do some outdoors stuff. I have taken the FIT from hard mountain gravel roads in Wyoming, to steep grass levees here in Louisiana and Arkansas to my favorite fishing spots. Saying this I thought I would like to help out by giving my experience with the FIT from an outdoorsman point of view.

-Of course it sits low, one side of front spoiler popped off and I had to pop the plastic screw back in. This wasn't a big deal, considering the conditions I put it under and huge pot holes I've hit.

-The FIT doing about 75-80 up hill can show its a little under powered, but I was surprised how the FIT could do up the hills at low speeds. The manual padel shift really helps you do this. 1st and 2nd gear were very powerful and got me up some steep grades with 3 guys in the car is no problem, even as a front 2WD.

-Handling on the FIT is superb on the street, and I would have to say that is even funner off road. It felt solid and like I was in a rally car, and I drove it that way too! Haven't had any flats either (that maybe has to do with some luck) but the tires have done very well.

-Plenty of space for your gear with the awesome ergonomics inside. Lay the passenger seat down and you can fit all kinds of stuff, but does eliminate your passenger seat. Hauling your bike is a little awkward inside. I have fit 3 bikes inside the fit but securing them wasn't the easiest task. Honda also does not recommend a back rack and this will eliminate your hatch. I have resorted to a roof rack and have been very happy. (see the car roof rack thread) Before I had to take my front wheel off and put my back wheel between the two seats and secure my front forks. It fit fine but was a little uncomfortable with a tire at my shoulder while I drove. I have not had any luck with the way Honda shows a bike in "Tall Mode" my bike wouldn't fit (Specialized Stumpjumper).

Overall, I would have to say that the FIT drives like it did when I bought it and I am more than surprised but couldn't be happier, considering the price I paid and the kind of car I got. I have not experienced any big rattles either after all the hard driving except one small rattle in the back hatch that I can barely hear. The rims are still aligned and have no shakes in it. This is a tough little car and even though I wasn't sure at first, I am glad I went with this car.

Old 10-12-2006, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
I'm glad to hear that someone isn't letting the threat of scratches stop them from getting out there!

I figure more clearance would be nice, but the light weight and small form factor would help on rutted roads.

I like to hike, so the CRV was tempting, but i'm glad i went with the smaller car. I've only been on one trail access road since i got my sport automatic a couple of months ago, the third day after i got it.. i didn't want fear of losing my car's aesthetics to rob me of appreciating nature!

Who knows, maybe next year i will get the courage up to take it to burning man.. a week long art's festival in the desert near Reno NV.. the alkaline dust tends to get everywhere. I would have to do a major detail afterward.

A major reason i got interested in the fit was i saw a picture of a fit in tall mode holding a bike. Later i remembered i'd seen that picture on a Japanese honda web site, where perhaps bikes tend to be smaller... i can cram my bike in there in tall mode but i don't think doing so is kind to the upholstry.

Last edited by WillMorgan; 10-12-2006 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:41 PM
We took ours on a week long camping trip this summer. Fit the tent, cooler, sleeping bags, chairs, tarp, suitcases, airbed, lamps, oil, and other various stuff without having to stack anything. Pretty amazing. It still drove decently, also. Kind of like my wifes Accord with about 1/3 less power. We got it dirty and muddy and drove it around the campsites and it stood up to it well. It's also a good road trip car, as it's been to NC, OH, WV, and ALL over VA. I can't say enough good things about the little bugger.

Old 10-25-2006, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the report. It's a bummer to hear about putting a bike in the fit. I have a Cannondale Rush Mtn bile (frame size : lrg). It has the "Lefty" front fork/shock so it really needs to be stored in the fit with BOTH wheels on the bike. It does not sound like this will be possible in the fit. At least not while providing reasonable protection to the interior.

I really like what I've seen with the fit so far. It's too bad, this may be the deal killer for me.

Old 10-25-2006, 10:48 AM
sam
Super Moderator
Lightbulb External Bike Rack

Originally Posted by roguenode
Thanks for the report. It's a bummer to hear about putting a bike in the fit. I have a Cannondale Rush Mtn bile (frame size : lrg). It has the "Lefty" front fork/shock so it really needs to be stored in the fit with BOTH wheels on the bike. It does not sound like this will be possible in the fit. At least not while providing reasonable protection to the interior.
There is information about mounting a bike rack on the back - via the "trailer hitch thingy" and about adding a top-mount rack. Perhaps those would be a solution for you.

Old 10-25-2006, 02:23 PM
There is information about mounting a bike rack on the back - via the "trailer hitch thingy" and about adding a top-mount rack. Perhaps those would be a solution for you.
I frequently have my bike in my car while working so I can go straight to the trails from work. Since I work at a University where there is high rate of stolen bikes, my parking place is not well watched/guarded, and the bike's got over $4k in it, I was really hoping for inside storage.

Just in case, I think I'll stop by my Honda dealer with my bike and see if they'll let me check if there is a configuration that would work.

Otherwise, I hear the element is getting a redesign in a year, perhaps that would work.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:56 PM
5 Year Member
Excellent review, thanks for the info PJ! As my name suggests, I'm currently Fit-less, but am very close to signing. Everything you listed has been a concern of mine, especially your bike issues (I ride a Rocky Mtn and a Fuquay custom btw ). I've also been a huge fan of rally racing for more than 20 years and I've been lurking on here trying to scope out the Fit's capabilities and I guess, obtain-ability of any off-road style perf. parts. I think your thread has finally been the one I needed to see to convince me of the Fit. Thanks again. I'm off to clean up an F-150 4x4 for sale.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:12 PM
Retired Moderator
Nice review! Its good to hear from a person who doesnt use the Fit for getting to work and back! Sounds like your getting everything out of your Fit!

Old 11-14-2007, 06:16 PM
Funny coincidence; I just turned in my Tundra on a Fit too, due to gas prices and a longer commute. I drove all the offerings in the segment and the Fit won hands down. It feels in some ways like the NSX I used to have (except for the 34 mpg I got on my first tank).

It looks a little silly next to my race car, but oh well. It's surprising how similar the architecture is to the Lamborghini Gallardo. Sounds twisted I know, but the whole canopy is the same design. When I got in one for the first time, it was Advantage Honda.

Mountain biking was a key factor as well. I don't like taking the wheel off, so I lay it down in the back. Turning the wheel sideways and pushing the rear wheel to the left side makes it just possible to close the hatch (Gary Fisher GED Hardtail).

The paddle shifters are a fun addition. I drove the stick and it was fine, but a joke at the same time. Four gears just to get to sixty? I'll take the auto!

I got it tinted, got a K&N, ordered full clearbra protection from Stickercity.com, a block heater and will change over the driveline to Redline synthetic at 5000 miles. This little car rocks!

Old 11-22-2007, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by lvndngrsly
Mountain biking was a key factor as well. I don't like taking the wheel off, so I lay it down in the back. Turning the wheel sideways and pushing the rear wheel to the left side makes it just possible to close the hatch (Gary Fisher GED Hardtail).
Do you happen to have any pics of your bike in the back? Does it fit well standing up as well, or does the seat hit the headliner?

Thanks!

Alex

Old 11-26-2007, 08:52 AM
I took a few shots for you but I can't post attachments yet. Give me your email address; I'll send them and you can post them if you want.

I haven't tried loading it upright yet. My bike comes in 13.5, 15, 17.5 and 19" frame sizes; mine is the 15. It's going to be harder to get the hatch closed with the bigger ones.