General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

pump up the tires and back to 31+ mpg city

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 05:17 PM
pump up the tires and back to 31+ mpg city

was driving and started to see the mpg was not as good as before. I just had the car for only 1.5 months. Went to gas station and decided to check my tires. It was at 40psi and max was 51psi. So pumped them all up to 50 psi. Now back to my original mpg.

If you calculate it, I lost 30-40 miles to a fill up. Big diffence. Will check tires every time i fill up now.

What happened to the days of full service gas stations where the guy would pretend to check under your hood and kick your tire to see if it needed more air. It was fun to point and laugh as you speed off leaving a dust cloud for them to choke on. LOL

Also, the oil you use will make a big difference also. The honda mechanics said if i did an oil change and used a heavier grade then 5w-20, you will see a decrease in mpg also.

Yes the car manual is right and you are wrong, unless you call the sex hotline on the back.

Old 08-31-2006, 05:34 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
50 PSI?? I always do 36psi. I must of read somewhere wrong..

Old 08-31-2006, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
air in a tire expands when driving, meaning on a long road trip, you are well beyond 51 PSI hot.

Obviously air is going to be leaking out when you are beyond max pressure.

Old 08-31-2006, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member

50 PSI Is Dangerous!!!! Lower Immediately!!!

air doesn't leak out, the tire fails.

Old 08-31-2006, 06:21 PM
Wow, 50 PSI is extremely dangerous!!! Let some air out before the tires explode.

Check the pressure early in the morning when you Fit has been parked all night and then adjust the pressure to match the ratings marked on the driver's door.

Never ever adjust tire pressure when the car has been in use. Wait 5 hours or like I said, do it in the morning before work/school.

Old 08-31-2006, 06:25 PM
Uhmm, 50 PSI on the tire means that is the maximum that tire can be inflated due to safety issues. If you look on the driver door jamb there is a sticker that says proper inflation for the fit is 32 PSI.

Sure you might get better fuel economy with over inflated tires (due to rolling resistences) but you are going to get serious uneven wear (especially at 50 PSI) and possibly have a blow out at high speeds as the tires heat up and the PSI increases.

On top of all of that, your ride is going to be so much rougher with tires inflated that high!

I don't think 3 or so miles per gallon is worth all that!

Old 08-31-2006, 06:31 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
If you're going to go over the recommended 32psi, try just bumping it a little to a max of 36 or 38 cold... that will get up to 38 or 40 when hot, and is probably as high as you'd EVER want to go. Even at that pressure, you'll get more center wear.

I run mine at 36 cold, max. It's a good balance of stiffer handling and a reasonable ride.

Old 08-31-2006, 06:48 PM
+10,000 on the comments above. 51psi is the MAXIMUM pressure listed by the tire, ON the tire. When your tire gets hot, it's going to go above 51psi. You're asking for a kaboom.

I would not recommend going over 36-38 COLD. That means measure when your car has been sitting for a few hours. As you drive, the tire flexes and moves, causing them to heat up. Air inside the tire expands as it heats, increasing pressure.

Go to WalMart, buy a good pressure gauge for a few bucks. Get an air compressor for about $20. Check your tire pressure about every couple weeks.

If you can't get decent mileage with your tires at a sane pressure, you're probably pushing the throttle too far, or your car just isn't broken in yet.

And just so you get it...

RUNNING YOUR TIRES AT 50PSI IS DANGEROUS. DO NOT DO IT.

Old 08-31-2006, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, I am using 35 myself. 38 was too harsh of a ride I thought.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:11 PM
it wont explode it will just have uneven tire wear and a bumpy ride

Old 08-31-2006, 11:33 PM
The tires wont explode at 50psi. Tire wear will increase, and you will feel every pebble on the road, but other than that I wouldnt be concerned. Personally I run mine at 40 psi (cold) on all four corners. I didnt feel any difference from the 32 that it rolled of the lot on it. I did note about a 6-7% improvement in milage after pumping up the tires. I checked the tires right after some aggressive driving on hot asphalt and they were about 46psi. Anyway, just one man's opinion.

Old 09-01-2006, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member
Old 09-01-2006, 02:08 PM
will lower the tire pressure right away. Was looking at the max pressure on the tire itself for Sports model and just saw 51 psi. Forgot the actual reccommended pressure is on side of the car door. hehehehe

Just reached 1000 miles so still taking it easy on the car still.

Will go to walmart today and get a pressure guage.

Old 09-01-2006, 03:17 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by fitkent
will lower the tire pressure right away.
Cool. No one is trying to make you feel bad, we just don't want you to do any damage or be upset with uneven wear in a few thousand miles.

Old 09-01-2006, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitkent

What happened to the days of full service gas stations where the guy would pretend to check under your hood and kick your tire to see if it needed more air. It was fun to point and laugh as you speed off leaving a dust cloud for them to choke on. LOL
Maybe people like you made them find a job with more diginity? lol

Old 09-01-2006, 04:06 PM
Yeah your tire wouldn't have exploded, but I used to work at a tire store and at 50psi or more the rim can fire off the tire or crack the rim. Some guy told me about a worker filling a tire up to 60-80psi on a tire mounting machine...the rim fired off the tire and flew up into the ceiling.

Old 09-01-2006, 04:31 PM
not offended at all by any comments. Pretty easy going guy.

went to the car and see it recommends 32 psi cold so will release the air to that pressure. Will get a decent guage at walmart and a pump if it is around $20.

I HATE the pumps at the gas station.
1. have to hurry to fill tires before turning off
2. hose, keeps banging against the car
3. hose too short
4. my hand is black after wards
5. the guage reads wrong
6. sometimes have to wait

Old 09-01-2006, 04:52 PM
We have a family friend who ended up killing himself because he over inflated a tired on his car...

Not sure if he snoozed of when he was inflating it but it definitely did some damage.

Have to be careful with those things.

Old 09-01-2006, 04:54 PM
While I would not reccomend running the vehicle at 51 psi, that is not the maximum it can take.

All tires are rated cold, so higher temperatures from driving are taken into account.

Also the higher the pressure the less tire flex and the less delta between cold temp and running temp.

40 psi should be fine if you are trying to maximize fuel economy and want an nice safety cushion.

Old 09-01-2006, 09:07 PM
what is it with everyone posting the recommended psi is 32? My door says 35!? Is there a difference between the sport and base tire psi?? I have a Sport AT and my door says 35... (although my tires are at 38 for mileage sake)

Quick Reply: pump up the tires and back to 31+ mpg city