General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

future FIT for family of four

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 12:02 AM
future FIT for family of four

.... How was that for alliteration?

Hubby and I have decided that the Fit is our next car. We are a family of 4. We're middle aged, but have an infant and 7 year old. Hubby's current car is 14 years old and we'd consider keeping it, if it weren't a 2 door and if it was not starting to cost us money. Currently the car is worth $2500 and we just sunk $1000 into it. So it's time for the car to go.

To my surprise, hubby changed his mind to the Fit after having sat in the back seats of both the Civic and the Fit. (he was leaning toward the Civic before today's test drives) Knowing that we will ultimately have a teenager sitting in the back seat, we're anticipating what the ride will be like for her in 7 years, when she's likely approx 5'6" tall (by growth estimates).

We're thinking ahead that the Fit will ultimately become the 7 year old's car, when she is 16. So, hubby will be the primary driver for the next 8½+ years. And we'd plan on her driving the car, probably thru college, and possibly passing it on to the other daughter. Hopefully it won't rust out by then! We do live in MN after all!

We're trying to decide if we should pull the trigger now on a clearance 2013 Fit Sport (Dealer is offering $1500 off MSRP on Sport, $500 off on Base), or if we should wait a couple months till the 2015 comes out. But by then the 2013's will be even harder to find, if we still want the 2013. This would be a big gamble since we don't even know when the 2015 is due to arrive, or what the pricing is to be. I would suspect that the 2015 pricing will be at MSRP, so we'd be risking the clearance pricing we're being offered now.

What is particularly appealing to me (as the front passenger) is that there is to be 4+ inches of additional legroom in the back seat. So, when my toddler-to-be is rear-facing, I won't have to be eating the dashboard as much. I don't ride the passenger seat often, but when I do, I'd like to not be so close to the glass and dash.

So, what would you do? Wait for the 2015, or bite on the good price and availability of the 2013?

2nd question is regarding extended warranty....
This car will be a member of our family for at least the next 10-15 years, maybe up to 20, if our 2nd daughter gets the car. The dealer offers a lifetime power-train warranty, included free with purchase. The deductible is $300 for service after 5 years. $0 for first 5 years. Yeah, that's cuz Hondas don't typically have drive-train issues in the first 5 years! duh!

We're considering the dealer's extended warranty. It's a Lifetime Comprehensive Warranty, covering basically everything except items which can wear.... tires, brakes, most hoses. We looked at the kinds of repairs we've done to our cars over the last 13 years that we've been together and we see several of the things we've had to do to our cars listed.

Here's the kicker. That warranty is $2300. Part of me cringes at that cost. But another part of me says that that's insurance against what could happen in the next 20 years. Thoughts?

TIA to you Fit enthusiasts who offer up their thoughts!

Last edited by ThisIsMelissa; 03-30-2014 at 12:15 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:43 AM
I would say, go with the 2015 for the extra space and better gas mileage, and skip the extended warranty.

We are a family of three with a teenager and our '12 Fit Sport is great for hauling us and the kiddo around, plus 1-2 of the kiddo's friends.

There's way more room in our second-generation Fit for people than there is in my partner's '14 Prius c.

Go with the new one, is my advice. You won't be sorry with any Fit, but the '15 looks awesome!

Old 03-30-2014, 03:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ThisIsMelissa
This car will be a member of our family for at least the next 10-15 years, maybe up to 20, if our 2nd daughter gets the car. The dealer offers a lifetime power-train warranty, included free with purchase. The deductible is $300 for service after 5 years. $0 for first 5 years. Yeah, that's cuz Hondas don't typically have drive-train issues in the first 5 years! duh!

We're considering the dealer's extended warranty. It's a Lifetime Comprehensive Warranty, covering basically everything except items which can wear.... tires, brakes, most hoses. We looked at the kinds of repairs we've done to our cars over the last 13 years that we've been together and we see several of the things we've had to do to our cars listed.

Here's the kicker. That warranty is $2300. Part of me cringes at that cost. But another part of me says that that's insurance against what could happen in the next 20 years. Thoughts?
The $0 deductible for the powertrain warranty during the first five years is because it's a standard Honda powertrain warranty claim that they all come with anyway... but the lifetime powertrain warranty, assuming that it is truly included for free, is pretty cool.

But if the car already has a lifetime powertrain warranty anyway, the comprehensive warranty really only adds lifetime bumper-to-bumper coverage, since you already get three years anyway. And outside of the powertrain, most other repairs aren't going to cost an amount that would make a $2,300 warranty a good investment. It's something that seems like something you yourself would want to consider, seeing how you plan on keeping the car for a while (contrasting to your average American keeping a car for maybe five or six years), but the car problems that hit your wallet hard are usually powertrain related anyway -- engine and transmission -- and you've already got those covered. There would have to be either a huge, huge issue or multiple back-to-back-to-back problems to make it worth the money.

Plus if something happens to the car, such as getting totaled in an accident or from being stolen, then you just blew $2,300 that you may not be able to get back.

And what's the fine print? Not saying that the dealership is trying to screw you, but you never know -- there might be something saying that for the lifetime dealership warranty to apply, all maintenance services must be performed exactly as outlined the owners manual, or the vehicle has to be serviced exclusively at that dealership. Since they are the ones offering the warranty, they may be the ones dictating the terms.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:52 AM
5 Year Member
My vote would be for the new 2015 as well. I was planning to drive my 2012 for many years, but all the info I've seen about the 2015 model has me drooling. It really does look improved in almost every area.

- Dustin

Old 03-30-2014, 10:44 AM
keep in mind that you do not need tp purchase the extended warranty right away.

But if you do, do not finance it. Pay for it on top. Less money to the financing company that way.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:48 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
op- i have 2 kids a bit older than yours, but when i got my first fit, they were about the same age.

the '12 is my 3rd fit sport. i think it is safe to say the Fit will do just fine for family of four.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:18 PM
Honestly, if you're planning on keeping the car for 10+ years, which it seems like you are going to, and you need to get it NOW, i'd stick with tried and true and get a 2013. They've been through their paces already and there will be no surprises.

First model year of a complete redesign with new engine tech scares me. Also a little iffy on the CVT, which I assume you'd get OP. New manufacturing plant and new employees as well.

All of the above could be explained away with reasons why not to worry about it, but call me cautious. If 2015 goes off without a hitch, i'll be the first one saying to buy the new one if you have a family, but as of right now, not so much. I trust Honda quite a bit, but I trust them less now than I did 10 years ago FWIW.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
keeping the car for 10+ years

new engine tech scares me

a little iffy on the CVT
Yep, WANDERER. is pressing the relevant buttons. Carbon buildup. And 10+ years on a belt driven CVT is scary to me. Belts do break, especially when they are started up from a cold soak (Mn!) and then suddenly stressed by multiple bending at small angles and high heat.

I keep wondering when we'll start seeing numerous cars written off due to CVT issues as they age. If it costs more to replace a transmission than the car is worth, well, that math for me does not compute. How old are the Jatco CVTs (Nissan, Chrysler, Mitsubishi, Suzuki[?]) now in service?

Of course, there IS a manual option. Honda manuals have a reputation for being excellent, too. Waiting for a report on that in about a week and a half: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ml#post1229950

Whereas the 2nd generation is a known quantity. That being said, the Gen3's looking like the future choice for me, contingent on an actual test drive. But in a manual, so...

Old 03-31-2014, 07:04 PM
If I were in your shoes, I think I'd also consider a few other vehicles. Don't get me wrong: the Fit is a great car, and not an unreasonable choice, and I'm quite fond of mine. However, for four people, it can be a bit tight—particularly in terms of luggage space, if you're needing to carry a bunch of stuff with the people. The Fit has fantastic cargo room or decent passenger room, but not especially both at the same time.

What would I look at? Perhaps the Nissan Versa Note, which has an enormous amount of back-seat legroom, very easily the best in the segment, and is priced competitively and should get quite decent milage—on par with the Fit, maybe a shade better.

I'd also consider (gasp! shudder!) the base model of the Dodge Caravan, which is priced pretty similarly to the Fit sport and naturally has a whole lot more room—you can carry four and a lot of stuff, or a couple of friends or relatives. The current Caravan is quite decent, really; the engine and transmission (unlike some earlier versions) are pretty robust and have decent power, and the handling isn't horrible for a minivan. For a cross-country trip, it would be a lot more comfortable. Gas milage is not quite so good as for the Fit.

In regards to the extended warranty: $2300 is a good deal...if you're the dealer. Since you're on the other side of the transaction, I'd suggest instead putting the money aside as savings for repairs when they become necessary. These extended warranties often have somewhat limited coverage, and usually make the most sense when there's some common problem that you're somewhat expecting to encounter sooner or later. The Fit is fairly bulletproof with proper maintenance; coil packs seem to be the main weakness, and you can replace a lot of coil packs for $2300.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:35 AM
Originally Posted by DrewE
If I were in your shoes, I think I'd also consider a few other vehicles.
The Fit is not going to be our main family car. Our family car is my minivan.

This is to be hubby's car mainly for driving to and from work. Rarely will we all be in it together.

There are a few occasions where he'll have both girls with him. And about the only time we'd all 4 be in it together is if my van is in the shop.

We've lived like this for the last 7½ years, and this works for us. Now it makes sense to have a car that is appropriate for that task.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by ThisIsMelissa
The Fit is not going to be our main family car. Our family car is my minivan.

This is to be hubby's car mainly for driving to and from work. Rarely will we all be in it together.

There are a few occasions where he'll have both girls with him. And about the only time we'd all 4 be in it together is if my van is in the shop.
Obviously, I wasn't understanding the situation completely. You've got everything covered nicely, it sounds like.

The Fit would be a fine car for what you're describing. Three people is quite reasonable, and four is not too bad every once in awhile, provided of course that the people involved aren't NBA or NFL players!

I hope whatever you end up doing works out really well for you.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:59 AM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Honestly, if you're planning on keeping the car for 10+ years, which it seems like you are going to, and you need to get it NOW, i'd stick with tried and true and get a 2013. They've been through their paces already and there will be no surprises.

First model year of a complete redesign with new engine tech scares me. Also a little iffy on the CVT, which I assume you'd get OP. New manufacturing plant and new employees as well.

All of the above could be explained away with reasons why not to worry about it, but call me cautious. If 2015 goes off without a hitch, i'll be the first one saying to buy the new one if you have a family, but as of right now, not so much. I trust Honda quite a bit, but I trust them less now than I did 10 years ago FWIW.
I totally agree. Shoot for the quieter '12-'13. Also, If you want to see if they'll be enough room when your daughter is say 5'6? Easy fix. Adjust the drivers seat how it would be when you drive and sit in the sea behind you. I think you'd be surprised. Have your husband do the same then sit behind his seat, I beat he'll "fit" too...lol. It's a great car.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
What about a 1st gen Fit? You can get an 07 or 08 for about $7k from a private party with 100k on it, and it will be reliable for years. If you actually run the numbers for your usage (add up annual depreciation, gas, interest/opportunity cost, expected repairs/maintenance, insurance, fees) you might find that you can save $1k-2k/year with the older version. The depreciation+interest+collision insurance (do without collision for an older vehicle) really increase your cost of ownership for a new car; even one as efficient as a Fit. Maybe the savings are not a factor for you, in which case just buy new, but it's my observation that most people spend more on cars than is optimal for their financial situation.

My only other suggestion would be an older Prius (in the $7k range) if you're driving a lot of miles. The gas savings over a Fit might make them more economical.

Absolutely stay away from a $2300 warranty. Dealers like those because they keep you coming back to them for service and they can keep dinging you for $300 (the deductible) repairs plus their inflated charges for the maintenance items. If you look at Truedelta dot com the number of repairs that Honda Fits need costing over $300 is a very small percentage. For a pickup truck $2300 is probably fair, but not a Honda Fit.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member
But I think the OP is set on buying a new car, not just because of the peace of mind, but because she does plan on keeping it for well over ten years and possibly having one of her children drive it when they are of age. Going with a first-gen Fit is fine for now, but by the time her little ones have licenses, it's going to be much, much older, and I don't think that's what she's going for. Unlike some of our parents back in the day.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member
With a low priced car from a brand that holds its value, used might not be the best move. $7k is a little less than half of what I paid for mine and 100k is quite less than I expect to get out of it, but rounding things off I'd be spending half the money to buy the second half of the car's life- not good if I want to use it myself and then let my kids have its second half.