General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

safest color of the 2013s?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 09:58 AM
safest color of the 2013s?

I'm mentally preparing for the 'just in case they total my car out' and wondering what is the safest color to aim for in a replacement Fit. The blue is pretty, but I was hit at night, and visibility counted.

Seems its between Red, Blue Raspberry, White and Silver. I'm so bored with white and silver cars, though, so my real question is which color is easier seen, red or blue raspberry? I love the "Blue Scarab", though, but I'm afraid to get that color again.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:01 AM
5 Year Member
Blue Raspberry is so good looking that I couldn't pass up the opportunity to own one if presented to me.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:09 AM
Is it safer than red, though? At night maybe, on a rainy day... I'm curious if the blue raspberry is as visible on gray days.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:30 PM
I have heard that red and white are the safest colors.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
There's also a benefit of getting Blue Raspberry or Red. If someone steals it, they won't be getting too far with that color

You could see it from like a mile away.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:04 PM
I read that the red is about the same as black during nighttime, so I'm hesitant to get that one. I think I have it narrowed down to the Blue Raspberry - those kinda glow, so I think they'd be visible enough on rainy days, better than the other colors, anyway.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
I vote blue raspberry too

Old 03-09-2014, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
Color Choice

For what it's worth, (IMHO) I think that the blue that we have now, stands out among the sea of white/silver/gray, ad nauseum. In daylight, red, followed by yellow, has proven to be the color that has the greatest eye attraction (Why do think some cars had colors called "Arrest Me Red" LOL)! At any rate, Blue Raspberry is different, but visibility at night will depend on more factors, than just color, e.g. the amount of ambient light, brightness of headlights, cloudy vs. clear, rainy/dry, etc. etc. Personally, I think it is lack of driver attentiveness/driver distractions that cause other drivers to "not see" someone. Let's face it, your car could be dayglo orange, and there will still be SOMEONE who "wouldn't see it" until they smacked into it. Just my $0.02 worth!
'12 VBP Sport 5MT w/minor appearance & comfort mods!!

Last edited by fittmann; 03-09-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:08 PM
Fittmann, I'm gonna have to agree. Keep in mind, though, my blue is darker than your blue. I regretted not getting the blue raspberry, honestly, but I only liked it about 2% more than the blue I have now.

Also, a waxed car, no matter what, I think shows up way better than an unwaxed car. I had not waxed or washed mine in months, I hate to say. But it got so cold here, no one was washing their cars.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
I heard that white showed up best at night. Dunno about daytime. My Fit is gray. I'm kinda wondering about the color, cuz gray "blends in" with the asphalt. I almost pulled out in front of a gray car. I had looked and did not see the car, and all of a sudden ARGH there it is. The color really did blend in with the road. Thank God I didn't hit the car, but that made me wonder about the color of my Fit. I do agree that even if a car was day glo orange, someone would be texting or whatever and wham ya.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:20 PM
I think the daytime running lights have saved a lot of people from wrecks. I read that gray and gold cars were in the most accidents where they were the one that was unseen and hit. I got my fiance the silver, which I thought was safe enough, and silver is definitely more noticeable than plain gray.

White is supposed to be the safest, though, according to the insurance companies, I think, but I don't think I could live with a white car. I figured the next best thing would be that raspberry blue - and hopefully its visible enough on rainy days.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:26 PM
I don't find my Milano Red 2012 Sport to be dark at night.

I suppose the best thing to do would be to ask your insurance agent for a color recommendation. She would probably know the stats if there are any on which color cars are less often in accidents.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:27 PM
I will say this, I've had more close calls almost hitting gray cars than any other. And it wasn't just a few. I honestly think gray will be an illegal car color at some point in the future. I'd be fine with that, anyway, there are so many gray cars.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:39 AM
5 Year Member
Color Question

I thought your car was Vortex Blue Pearl? My '12 is Vortex Blue Pearl, which was the only blue available that was to my liking. If you're looking at my avatar, that is a picture of my '07 that was totaled by a H&R driver. I preferred the lighter blue of the '07 (Vibrant Blue Pearl).
'12 VBP Sport 5MT w/minor appearance & comfort mods!!

Old 03-10-2014, 11:30 AM
Milano red is a great color but just understand this fact. If you're not one for washing/waxing/detailing your car on a regular basis, this will NOT be the color for you. Look at Milano Red Integra GS-R's/Civics and the ones that aren't cared for look PINK. This is due to the fact this color (as well as Tafetta White) is NOT a base/clear. These colors must be Clay Bar'd/Polished/waxed at LEAST 2x/year. Good luck on your choice.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:24 PM
Fittmann, yeah, I was looking at the avatar, sorry. And on sunny days, our blues look beautiful... but here in Nashville, we have gray days more often than you'd think, and the car ends up looking navy most of the time, and dirty.

Red - yeah, I won't always have time to wash and wax. I do claybar, but I don't want to have a pink car down the road.

I think the raspberry blue will have to be it. It kinda glows, and that seems safer than the others. This is all still with me waiting to hear if mine is going to be totalled out anyway, so who knows. I might get the Blue Scarab back, after all... ugh.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:48 PM
5 Year Member
I was going to say the same thing as Desmond. Honda's track record with red isn't that great.

Regarding the color, I really can't see any color "standing out" at night. Consider that the back of your car is made of 50% window with a bit of the color on the bottom half of the hatch and on the bumper. Your taillights are going to be far more noticeable. Maybe consider obnoxiously bright LED lights.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:46 PM
5 Year Member
"I might get the Blue Scarab back, after all... ugh."
DeltaB: I feel for you! When my GD was hit, it was shocking to think that it might be totaled. When that was confirmed, I was ready to do battle for a decent settlement. State Farm's initial offer was a tad bit more than KBB, etc. I inquired of my agent, "well, what if I wanted it repaired?" They told me that the car would be thoroughly examined, and if it could be repaired (IIRC) within 75% of its value, then they would. Fortunately, I had decided that it probably wouldn't be the same, and had moved on to thinking of a new car. Ironically, I found my old car for sale on Craigslist, w/ a salvage title, AND I drive past it regularly, still at a car repair/sales lot! :-)

Old 03-10-2014, 03:00 PM
p-nut, I like that idea!!!

fittmann, I always get the GAP insurance, so I'm not as stressed about what I still owe on the car.