General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Should I be concerned about Honda's paint?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by Steve244
Spacecoast's roof is a mess. Could be a case of killing it with kindness. What kind of solvents were in the wax he used? Did the dealer use "paint-treatment"?
Or maybe it's just a fluke? Maybe he just got a lemon?

If it were just Spacecoast, I would not worry about it. I could probably google somebody, having some sort of problem, with any car.

But it is not just Spacecoast - far from it.

Honda seems to have an extensive, and shameful, history of paint problems. I have provided many links. The Civic, and Odysseys have been disasters.

I have not read about a lot of problems with the Fit. But, Honda's history gives me cause for concern.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:53 PM
Most of the big problems I've seen were with 09s, not sure if that's a coincidence or what.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member
Previously I owned an Odyssey for 12 years 225K. Paint was not a problem. Currently own a 10 yo Accord and 5 yo Fit. Paint is not a problem. Covered parking helps although the black Accord sits outside most of the time; its roof is fine (can't say the same for the bumper covers: daughter's car). She doesn't wax it, probably because I don't. Could be a problem with the solvents in some wax reacting with the clear-coat.

If Honda had a shameful problem with the finish on their cars, I think I'd be aware of it...

Google doesn't show a trend, other than cars' paint deteriorates after time...

Honda Paint Problems

Toyota Paint Problems

Ford Paint Problems

Nissan Paint Problems

GM Paint Problems

VW Paint Issues

BMW paint issues

Looking at cars on my daily metro Atlanta commute I don't notice a trend either. Except for Chrysler. All their cars look like crap after a couple years.

Last edited by Steve244; 12-14-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:49 PM
Google doesn't show a trend, other than cars' paint deteriorates after time..
Gotta disagree.

Yes, you can find anecdotal cases of paint problems with any make. But lets not make any false equivalences.

Honda is far worse than other makes. Far more cases. Especially with cases of problems, with Honda paint, with cars less than six months old. Even Honda has admitted the problem. Honda dealers have told me that there have been major problems.

Although it is not directly relevant to my case, Honda also has a disgraceful history of admitting to, or fixing these problems. Honda did eventually, begrudgingly, "step up" and partially fix the problems with some of the Civics, but only after a flood of consumer complaints, that went on for years, and serious threats of class-action lawsuits.

Think of it this way: I'm sure I could I find some problems that Honda owners have had with head gaskets. But would it be fair to claim that Honda is in the same class as Subaru when it comes to head gasket issues? I don't think so. Again, even Subaru dealers will tell you that is not the case.

Again, follow the links I have provided. I think it will be hard to argue that all of those similar cases, about that one particular issue, are just coincidence.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
I have an 08 NHBP fit and I've probably only washed it 8 times since I bought it new in 08. Other than rock chips and swirls my paint is fine. I have only waxed it one time.

My girlfriends 07 civic has been taken care of better than my fit and the paint on the roof is faded.

Old 12-14-2013, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
I remember reading about this issue a little while ago. I just did my bi-yearly clay>polish>wax and did 4 coats of wax on the roof lol! I didn't have any seal left in the garage so I didn't seal the roof after waxing.

Even if the clear coat on the roof started to go…I'd probably plastidip or vinyl the roof matte black, as long as it isn't a rust issue.

Old 12-14-2013, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by fitlucas
I remember reading about this issue a little while ago. I just did my bi-yearly clay>polish>wax and did 4 coats of wax on the roof lol! I didn't have any seal left in the garage so I didn't seal the roof after waxing.

Even if the clear coat on the roof started to go…I'd probably plastidip or vinyl the roof matte black, as long as it isn't a rust issue.
I am not sure what all that means. I have never had to do anything like that with any car I have ever owned.

Could you explain a little about:
  • What does it mean to "clay" a car?
  • What is "plastidip" ?
  • Who do you mean "vinyl the roof" ?

I have owned, at least, three cars that were over 20 years old. I never did any of that sort stuff - I never had to, they looked fine. Maybe the paint was not quite as bright as brand new, but I never had clearcoat pealing off in sheets, or patches all over the car.

Old 12-14-2013, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by walterbyrd
Gotta disagree.

Yes, you can find anecdotal cases of paint problems with any make. But lets not make any false equivalences.

Honda is far worse than other makes. Far more cases. Especially with cases of problems, with Honda paint, with cars less than six months old. Even Honda has admitted the problem. Honda dealers have told me that there have been major problems.

Although it is not directly relevant to my case, Honda also has a disgraceful history of admitting to, or fixing these problems. Honda did eventually, begrudgingly, "step up" and partially fix the problems with some of the Civics, but only after a flood of consumer complaints, that went on for years, and serious threats of class-action lawsuits.

Think of it this way: I'm sure I could I find some problems that Honda owners have had with head gaskets. But would it be fair to claim that Honda is in the same class as Subaru when it comes to head gasket issues? I don't think so. Again, even Subaru dealers will tell you that is not the case.

Again, follow the links I have provided. I think it will be hard to argue that all of those similar cases, about that one particular issue, are just coincidence.
Followed the links. Other than consumeraffairs.com I don't see anything empirical. Can you show the scope of the problem and compare it with other manufacturer's using the links you provided? I can't.

I've also tried searches for all consumer complaint type agencies. Not coming up with anything conclusive other than you probably don't want to by a BMW or Mini. Nissan also has a surprising number of issues. This is derived from NHTSA's database and is mechanically related, not appearance.

source.

I'd encourage you to look around some parking lots to see which makes have fading/damaged paint. I don't think it's a big problem for any manufacturer. Well maybe Chrysler.

Old 12-14-2013, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
I can guarantee that the majority of you would be fine with any paint on any of the cars on the market today. Unless you're a professional detailer, or a weekend warrior detailer, what you consider to be "no problem" is a hell of a mess for us. What YOU think is "brand new" is FAR from brand new to us. I've worked on cars from Hyundai's to BMWs to a Lambo that come STRAIGHT from the lot and have horrible paint. So what you think is brand new, under the right light and to the trained eye, is HORRIBLE paint-upkeep.

I highly doubt you go to a dealership and bring your own light source or ask to have it outside to look at it from every angle, from cm off the car to 5 feet from the car, to inspect the current condition of a car.

There is absolutely NO paint from ANY manufacturer that is immune to ignorant negligent upkeep. A car wash to you could have mistakes upon mistakes that can ruin the clear coat/paint of a car and is YOUR fault, not the manufacturer's painting process.

YES, the clear coat on the Fit is thinner (I've measured to an average 19 microns across my car, differing from the average 25~40 microns). Does it mean it's crap? No. It just leaves less margin for bad upkeep and/or polishing.

There are too many variables that go into determining the rate at which your clear coat (and/or paint in the case of SS paints) deteriorates. What majority of people will NOT disclose is their cleaning regiment to 100% honesty. I guarantee, that's where majority of this so called "factory defect" comes from.

Old 12-14-2013, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
I am not sure what all that means. I have never had to do anything like that with any car I have ever owned.

Could you explain a little about:
  • What does it mean to "clay" a car?
  • What is "plastidip" ?
  • Who do you mean "vinyl the roof" ?

I have owned, at least, three cars that were over 20 years old. I never did any of that sort stuff - I never had to, they looked fine. Maybe the paint was not quite as bright as brand new, but I never had clearcoat pealing off in sheets, or patches all over the car.
Claying uses clay products from the major car wax companies. You run a blob of clay over the paint with water as a lubricant. It acts as a superfine abrasive and removes imperfections. It's the current fad instead of polishing compound.

Plastidip and vinyl the roof are covering, one liquid, one plastic sheets. Think vinyl roofs from 40 years ago.

I have owned cars going back to a 65 chevy in 1974. I typically buy new and keep them 5 years, but the last 20 years the few I've had I keep for 10-15 years. During this latter period I've owned 3 Hondas, 1 Toyota, 1 Ford, 1 Nissan, 1 Volvo, 1 Pontiac. The only car I ever had paint issues with was the 65 Chevy. When I got it the paint had oxidized down to the primer in many areas.

I don't obsess about cars' finish and don't wax them. They get washed a few times a year at the drive through brush type. If they're lucky.

Old 12-14-2013, 03:52 PM
There is absolutely NO paint from ANY manufacturer that is immune to ignorant negligent upkeep
Of course not. But you seem to missing the point. Peeling clear coat has been a huge problem with - at least - some, if not all, years/models of Honda. Even Honda dealers will confirm this. Honda has had to extend their warranty for certain years of Civics, and Odysseys. Seem to be a lot of problems with Accords as well.

Aside from the models, the years matter as well. Mid to late 2000s seems to be the worst years for Civics and Odysseys.

I am not seeing that sort of total flood of disastrous reports for Fits. At least not yet.

Being in denial about Honda's paint - especially clear coat - problems is beneficial to nobody.

Again:

Honda Paint & Clear Coat Peeling
Accord, Civic and Odyssey Owners Left Wondering Why Their Cars Look Like Clunkers
Honda Peeling Paint and Clear Coat Problem | HondaProblems.com

Entire Flickr group highlighting the problem.
Flickr: "HONDACCPEEL"

Honda paint warranty extension for Dark Blue 2003-2005 Odyssey's back in May of 2008.
PPG Refinish - Home

Warranty Extension: 2006-2010 Civic Body Panel Clear Coat Cracks
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...86552221369701

Honda Defective Paint Class Action Lawsuit

Top 255 Complaints and Reviews about Honda - Paint

100+ Voices Unhappy About Honda Clear Coat Paint Peel Defect & Honda’s Ambivalence
100+ Voices Unhappy About Honda Clear Coat Paint Peel Defect & Honda's Ambivalence - HighTechDad

I am sorry, but this is much worse than most other major car makers. Especially when you consider that a lot of these problems are with cars that are less than one year old.

Old 12-14-2013, 03:58 PM
Well, despite all that, the clear coat on the vast majority of Fits is fine. There may have been one or two outliers on here with peel issues but most just complain about how thin it is, not catastrophic failures.

I should add that my Fit is black, and every scratch shows on black from any make. If I had a white or silver Fit I'm sure it wouldn't be nearly as annoying.

Old 12-14-2013, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
My 07 has no paint issues. I go through a brush car wash about quarterly and wax about every two years, weather it needs it or not.

Old 12-14-2013, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
Being in denial about Honda's paint - especially clear coat - problems is beneficial to nobody.
ok ok I admit I'm in denial. Isn't that the first step to recovery? What's the next?

By the way, what self respecting car dealer would tell you they had problems with paint across all models and years? Not that I doubt you, but well ok, I doubt any Honda dealer told you this. Maybe a Ford guy might've.

Also it's a bit odd asking us about paint problems and then plastering the place with anecdotes about paint problems.

It seems you made a decision not to buy a 4 year old Honda and are looking for justification. Sorry, you came to the wrong place. We're happy with the cars. Right down the paint on their chinny chin chins. Well except for Spacecoast. But we love him anyway.

Old 12-14-2013, 04:55 PM
5 Year Member
damn, now I'm obsessively going to the garage to check the paint. It's still there.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
ok ok I admit I'm in denial. Isn't that the first step to recovery? What's the next?

By the way, what self respecting car dealer would tell you they had problems with paint across all models and years? Not that I doubt you, but well ok, I doubt any Honda dealer told you this. Maybe a Ford guy might've.

Also it's a bit odd asking us about paint problems and then plastering the place with anecdotes about paint problems.

It seems you made a decision not to buy a 4 year old Honda and are looking for justification. Sorry, you came to the wrong place. We're happy with the cars. Right down the paint on their chinny chin chins. Well except for Spacecoast. But we love him anyway.
Beat me to the punch Steve! Haha

Of course not. But you seem to missing the point. Peeling clear coat has been a huge problem with - at least - some, if not all, years/models of Honda. Even Honda dealers will confirm this. Honda has had to extend their warranty for certain years of Civics, and Odysseys. Seem to be a lot of problems with Accords as well.

Aside from the models, the years matter as well. Mid to late 2000s seems to be the worst years for Civics and Odysseys.

I am not seeing that sort of total flood of disastrous reports for Fits. At least not yet.

Again:

Honda Paint & Clear Coat Peeling
Accord, Civic and Odyssey Owners Left Wondering Why Their Cars Look Like Clunkers
Honda Peeling Paint and Clear Coat Problem | HondaProblems.com

Entire Flickr group highlighting the problem.
Flickr: "HONDACCPEEL"

Honda paint warranty extension for Dark Blue 2003-2005 Odyssey's back in May of 2008.
PPG Refinish - Home

Warranty Extension: 2006-2010 Civic Body Panel Clear Coat Cracks
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...86552221369701

100+ Voices Unhappy About Honda Clear Coat Paint Peel Defect & Honda’s Ambivalence
100+ Voices Unhappy About Honda Clear Coat Paint Peel Defect & Honda's Ambivalence - HighTechDad

I am sorry, but this is much worse than most other major car makers. Especially when you consider that a lot of these problems are with cars that are less than one year old.
I guess I didn't make my point clear enough for you: you're more likely to find people that don't know how to upkeep their vehicles rather than get a car with faulty paint to blame for their bad paint.

Quote me again where I said that Honda is without any problems? Then consider how strong sales are of Hondas and show me a statistic that Hondas are out ratioed of "bad clear coat" compared to other manufacturers. It's like complaining that wifebeater shirts sold at walmart are known for loose threads. Considering the volume manufacturers like Honda, Toyota, or Fords produce on a daily basis, of course there will be higher volumes of problems, be it paint or mechanical.

And you're beneficial to the argument how? All I see from you is a broken record of you preaching how the paint is bad. Great, you found articles about specific bad, peeling clear coats. What's your point? You came in asking a question and you got your answer from people that actually OWN Fits, rather than getting that information second hand.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member
guys, you are wasting your time. He said he's no longer considering buying a Fit so we're flogging a dead horse. Honda paint sucks we all know it so he'd rather drive a Nissan. To each his own.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:27 PM
The clear coat on my coworker's 350z is peeling everywhere on top of the car: hood, roof, trunk. Nissan must have clear coat issues. I wouldn't buy one because of that. Lol not serious but you know what I'm saying.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
Spacecoast's roof is a mess. Could be a case of killing it with kindness. What kind of solvents were in the wax he used? Did the dealer use "paint-treatment"? I haven't heard of others from the sunbelt or anywhere having his problems.
When you look at my video, you will see that the only problem is the roof and the top section of the rear hatch. The paint under the spoiler was fine, and the hatch itself is also fine. What's my point...it's basically the paint that is directly exposed to afternoon sun. Prior to Honda offering to help, I talked with about five paint shops. None of them had anything positive to say about Honda's economy cars, several said that they had seen Fits with the same issue, and all said that this is a case of clearcoat failure due to thinness and poor quality.
My wax...Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid wax...about $20 per bottle.

Old 12-15-2013, 12:28 PM
1) I am researching this as I go.

2) Anecdotal? Hardly. Honda has - at least - twice had to extend their warranty due to a flood a complaints. To say nothing of the class action lawsuits, websites dedicated to the problems, and so on. There is way more than a few anecdotal cases. As I said, if there were just a few anecdotal cases, I would not be concerned about, but it goes far beyond that.

Let's fess and admit that Honda has had substantial problems with paint. Maybe the problems have been fixed. I hope that is the case. I wish somebody could tell me what happened, and what has been done to fix the problem, instead of just denying that have been problems.

Quick Reply: Should I be concerned about Honda's paint?