General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Honda Fit Sport 10 months old - looks totaled

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 07:39 PM
Honda Fit Sport 10 months old - looks totaled

When I was sitting in front of my computer yesterday afternoon some idiot decided to plow into our parked Fit Sport manual. The car was hit pretty bad from the rear and took substantial damage in the front since there was another car parked outside. I want the car totaled and get a new one since it does not look pretty.

I looked at the car thoroughly and here is my recap.

- rear wheel bent and snapped
- steering wheel requires huge force to turn the wheels (tow truck guy was having problems)
- entire rear is so bent that it will not open
- front and rear left side doors bent. They open but quite evenly
- rear wheels pushed forward and up and front wheels pushed (chassis bent)
- front wheels pushed back
- rear and front bumpers are done
- hood/hatch and left front side is bent
- car starts

We loved this car. So simple yet practical. It only had 3400 miles. I do not want to have it repaired no matter what.

I also got an extended warranty on the car for another 100,000 miles. Do you think it would be possible to transfer it to another vehicle?

What are you thoughts?

Photos.

Honda Fit Photos by pkdpkd | Photobucket

Old 09-03-2013, 03:22 AM
Banned
Yep wave bye bye that is gonzo.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:18 AM
Yep that's totalled for sure, all kinds of unibody damage.

Not sure how that'd work for the warranty, maybe one of our insurance guys on here can chime in.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:57 AM
5 Year Member
On the extended warranty, you'll need to read your fine print to see what options are open to you if the car is totalled/sold etc. If it's not refundable (at least pro-rated) I'd be looking at adding that to the list of damages the other guy's insurance pays for.

Judging from the damage to the explorodition suv, your little Fit did pretty good. But yeah, it's toast (or at least $10K in repairs which should warrant totalling).

Old 09-03-2013, 01:28 PM
Cool New fit totaled

Originally Posted by Fit29er
When I was sitting in front of my computer yesterday afternoon some idiot decided to plow into our parked Fit Sport manual. The car was hit pretty bad from the rear and took substantial damage in the front since there was another car parked outside. I want the car totaled and get a new one since it does not look pretty.

I looked at the car thoroughly and here is my recap.

- rear wheel bent and snapped
- steering wheel requires huge force to turn the wheels (tow truck guy was having problems)
- entire rear is so bent that it will not open
- front and rear left side doors bent. They open but quite evenly
- rear wheels pushed forward and up and front wheels pushed (chassis bent)
- front wheels pushed back
- rear and front bumpers are done
- hood/hatch and left front side is bent
- car starts

We loved this car. So simple yet practical. It only had 3400 miles. I do not want to have it repaired no matter what.

I also got an extended warranty on the car for another 100,000 miles. Do you think it would be possible to transfer it to another vehicle?

What are you thoughts?

Photos.

Honda Fit Photos by pkdpkd | Photobucket
WOW! Do your best to get a new one,3.4k miles? forget it, it was a new car.BEST OF LUCK!! JJ

Old 09-03-2013, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
That would be about 10k to fix. I agree with Steve. Theres a lot damage done there and the chassis is bent

Old 09-03-2013, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
Extended warranties are pro rated. If the car is totaled or sold. Honda has a calculator that determines the amount returned once the vehicle is paid off. contact your finance manger once it is official and he will inform you of the paperwork you may/will need.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:41 AM
Great info. Thank you so much. I talked to the guy at the body shop and he said it is a toast but will not touch until adjuster shows up.

Do you think I will be able to keep my custom Rial wheels afterwards? I would have to get a 4th one from tirerack again.

I have the accident recorded on my surveillance camera. The cop did not want to do the breathalyzer test.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:57 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
wow, that's crazy. sorry to hear about your car. but glad you weren't in the car while getting plowed.

GL with your new car purchase.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:08 AM
Update.

The other party took full liability. The adjuster from Allstate did examine the car today. He said it is a total. I am hoping to get all the money back.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:56 AM
Another update. The insurance company (not mine) is trying to f... us over by saying that external damage is only worth $10k and the car is $18. They did not check internal problems.

Any suggestions? Should I go through my insurance company.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member
Talk to your insurance company. They may as a service go to bat for you but they have no horse in the race (how's that for a mixed metaphor?).

And then talk to a lawyer. Legal fees will be paid for by the other guy's insurance.

I thought that most insurers would total a car when damage was equal to or more than 50% (but I don't know, maybe your agent can advise their policy).

Old 09-10-2013, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by Steve244
Talk to your insurance company. They may as a service go to bat for you but they have no horse in the race (how's that for a mixed metaphor?).

And then talk to a lawyer. Legal fees will be paid for by the other guy's insurance.

I thought that most insurers would total a car when damage was equal to or more than 50% (but I don't know, maybe your agent can advise their policy).

I called my insurance company and they said it is a total. We should have a report within 24 hours. We are going to proceed this way.

Allstate (other guy's insurance) said we have time until today because they do not want to pay for storage anymore. lol (like I care)

Should we get an independent appraiser? It might be too much hassle in the end.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:09 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i only speak to my insurance agent when dealing with claims.

let them handle the messy work. that's the premium you're paying every month or 6months or watever your interval. GL!

Old 09-10-2013, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
i only speak to my insurance agent when dealing with claims.

let them handle the messy work. that's the premium you're paying every month or 6months or watever your interval. GL!

Yes. I always have full coverage.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit29er
I called my insurance company and they said it is a total. We should have a report within 24 hours. We are going to proceed this way.

Allstate (other guy's insurance) said we have time until today because they do not want to pay for storage anymore. lol (like I care)

Should we get an independent appraiser? It might be too much hassle in the end.
Definitely get some feeling for what your car is worth. They will only pay market value, i.e. the price of an undamaged similar car. If their settlement is less than fair market value (and that's not a specific amount) you can request a review. The numbers on Edmunds.com should be sufficient for this. Print this out, and have it with you when discussing the settlement amount. Also go to Autotrader.com and find similar cars and print these out. If you're not sure if you're getting a fair deal, you should talk to a lawyer.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by Steve244
Definitely get some feeling for what your car is worth. They will only pay market value, i.e. the price of an undamaged similar car. If their settlement is less than fair market value (and that's not a specific amount) you can request a review. The numbers on Edmunds.com should be sufficient for this. Print this out, and have it with you when discussing the settlement amount. Also go to Autotrader.com and find similar cars and print these out. If you're not sure if you're getting a fair deal, you should talk to a lawyer.
Thank you. I am going through my insurance company now (should have not dealt with Allstate at all). I think they offered $16500 which sounds more or less fair. I let me company rape Allstate for all the charges.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:06 PM
just because there was 10k in damage doesnt mean thats what they are going to give you, if damage is 51% or more of the worth of the car usually its a total loss.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by Papo
just because there was 10k in damage doesnt mean thats what they are going to give you, if damage is 51% or more of the worth of the car usually its a total loss.
The estimate in only for external damage and they can't advise on internal damage unless I agree to have it fixed. lol My insurance car totaled the car a week but since the other party took liability I dealt with Allstate and I should have not.

I will see what happens tomorrow.