General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Seat covers without flame retardants

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 11:02 PM
Seat covers without flame retardants

Just got a 2013 base automatic and want to keep it nice with seat covers, floor mats, and some kind of cargo area protection.

I have a 3.5 year old so back seat mess is a real possibility. I'm looking for affordable suggestions.

Saw on another post that Walmart sells cheap sets of Coverking seat covers but the Walmart site mentions that they are flame resistant. I've read that flame retardant chemicals have been credibly linked to neurodevelopmental delays in children.

So how do I protect my new car affordably without accidentally messing up my kid? And where do I get the best interior protection products for the best prices?

Old 08-19-2013, 10:45 AM
5 Year Member
put a blanket under him/her on top of the seats.

I'm past the developmental stage, but any car interior is a wealth of off-gassing plastics and other materials. I'd keep the vent fan going even on days when you don't need heat or A/C to help clear the air.

Don't kids' jammies have the same chemicals?

Check out Honda's accessories online. They're pricy but better than at the dealers.

Here's a good website.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:52 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
kids wont make a mess if you teach them. and you dont need to be super strict about it.

and no food or drinks inside the car while driving. at least park the car, give them the drink or snack, put it away..then continue on your trip.

my younger kid occasionally still steps on the door sill gasket cause he's still short, but i let him know not to do that. they dont make any mess in the car...and know not to make a mess in any other person's car either.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Silver beebee
Just got a 2013 base automatic and want to keep it nice with seat covers, floor mats, and some kind of cargo area protection.

I have a 3.5 year old so back seat mess is a real possibility. I'm looking for affordable suggestions.

Saw on another post that Walmart sells cheap sets of Coverking seat covers but the Walmart site mentions that they are flame resistant. I've read that flame retardant chemicals have been credibly linked to neurodevelopmental delays in children.

So how do I protect my new car affordably without accidentally messing up my kid? And where do I get the best interior protection products for the best prices?
I find my car has the ultimate interior . First off, I installed clazzio PVC seat covers in black with red stitch (yea yea I know red stitch is déjà vu but I was going for a VW TDI interior look) . They are somewhat pricey but I think the coverkings are nearly as much for a less cool product. I also have the Honda all season mats which I find are fantastic. People complain about weatherteck mats moving around but mine never do and the ground anchors work as advertised. In the summer, they are easy to hose down and clean.

As far as cargo protection, I nearly always keep my car in a seats down config because I'm a musician so I'm always hauling guitars and amps and stuff. I got the Elemmat which is a big ole rubber mat that is lazer cut to fit the inside of the Fit. It's two pieces: one for the trunk that you can leave on all the time and another that covers the rear seats entirely when folded. That section can be rolled up and fits perfectly in the trunk when not in use. However, it does occupy about 5 to 10% of the trunk space when it is rolled up.

I must say, with all those, I feel my fit is perfectly protected and the seat covers are a billion times easier to clean than the stock upholstery.

P.S. I'm with Steve, whether my windows are up or down or it is summer or winter, I ALWAYS leave my fan on at least setting #1. I control the temperature with the temp knob and AC switch. I also rarely use the recirculating mode unless I'm using AC or if I'm in a bunch of nasty polluted traffic.