General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

new paint!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 10:45 AM
new paint!

Vortex Blue Pearl no more... I hate to admit buyers remorse, but damn if the Honda paint colors aren't all just a bit off. I saw a Blue Raspberry Fit in the parking garage at work, and I can't help it, I love the color. They had one at the dealership but I didn't get it due to the possibility of my dude driving the car some day, and come on, a man getting out of a Blue Raspberry colored Fit, well, no.

So I was informed this morning that I can practice with two different paint sprayers on his '85 crew cab long bed R20 Chevy! Apparently, people do this all the time, and if I like my results, I will be painting my car some color that I actually like, yes, with a proper clear coat and everything.

The Vortex Blue Pearl is pretty, I do like it, but I have to admit I get pissed every time I hose it off and the water spots are glowing and mocking me.... every time I drive through yet another dust bowl then get rained on.

I am open to ideas on a light color that is not so, um, well, flamboyant as the turquoise. I saw a Mazda just yesterday in a pearly yellow, and it was quite nice. Any thoughts?

Old 08-17-2013, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member
RE: New Paint

I must say, that I "feel" your pain...I got the Vortex BP 'cause it was the ONLY blue. I have to admit, that, as time goes by it is growing (ever Soooo slowly) on me, BUT I will NEVER love it as much as I did my '07 Vivid BP, a much lighter blue! I'm impressed that you have the skill and the nerve to contemplate repainting your car. If mine were to be repainted, I'd have to strip EVERYTHING off of it, so that NO TRACE of the original color remained, but then, that's just me! Since Honda doesn't have yellow, that might be a cool choice, and maybe something in green?? Best of luck and keep the updates coming!!
'12 VBP Sport 5MT w/minor appearance & comfort mods

Old 08-17-2013, 11:51 AM
I just bought the car July 5, so I feel kinda ridiculous calling back about ANOTHER trade in for the blue raspberry.

I'm an artist, done a lot of painting in my life - on canvas, murals, walls, etc. I'm not completely positive that just doing a paint sprayer at home with auto paint and clear coat would look as good as a professional job, but ya never know. I see people's vehicles around here all the time where they've done it themselves and it looks nice... but it is typically older vehicles.

I love the olive metallic green that they older CR-Vs had, and a lot of the greens on the smaller sporty cars are really nice. Maybe I need to find a source of auto paint before I get my heart set on what color to do.

And thank you for the support! I'll tell ya, if you can't enjoy what you have in life, what's the point? Get the color ya want.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:19 PM
Maybe you should go totally old-school and paint it a tan with woodgrain panels along the sides...

Old 08-17-2013, 01:44 PM
Painting a car is not easy work if you're going to do it the right way, and with a brand new car, it's the only way. Just respraying the outside will devalue the car quite a bit.

Are you going to pull the motor to spray the bay, do the door jambs, etc?

I'd have no problem spraying an 85 pickup truck, but you might want to think twice about doing your brand new Fit yourself.

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, just think about it. Show us how the truck comes along.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:52 PM
Wanderer, its totally ok. I just called the dealership, the salesman who has sold me two vehicles now, and let them know that if they end up stuck with that blue raspberry one and need to just let it go, to call me. He advised me on two things, don't trade my car in yet or I'll lose money, and don't paint it, ha ha - he said if I'm pondering trading it in later (which is likely) that would greatly devalue the car.

So I have just washed, clay barred, polished and put the first coat of wax on it, and I'll just make the best of it... but I WILL be painting my dude's truck, ha ha, since I already said I would. Might be fun, anyway. I was wary on the quality I could pull off, but thanks to my salesman being honest about it all, and urging me not to blow any money, or lost money later on this, I'll just stick with doing my best with the coat of paint I have.

sigh... car makers REALLY need to offer more colors. And a wood panel option, too ;-)

Old 08-19-2013, 12:56 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
how about vinyl wrap? then you can remove it when you're done with the car.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:20 PM
Hmm, sadly I'm not even sure what that looks like. I might consider it.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
how about vinyl wrap? then you can remove it when you're done with the car.
Best idea. When done right looks good as paint and is totally reversible. I would take it to a pro though.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:55 PM
I just did a google image search on that. That can look really cool! Now I'm afraid to see how much it costs, lol

Old 08-20-2013, 04:09 AM
Banned
There is a big thread on here about wrapping a whole car and the results look GOOD. Can't find it right now but he had it done in a greenish blue wrap and it's nice real nice. do a search and you should find it in the GD posts somewhere.