General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

LOW MPG thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 03:49 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Originally Posted by s0x
not to sound like a dick but if you notice like 90 percent of the ppl getting bad milage have an automatic car and they probably have a heavy foot just cuz you dont go 90 on the freeway doesnt mean you floor it to get up the onramp that will kill your gas milage!!!! also learn how your rpms work and try to stay below the 3300 mark if you can and you should save gas vtec h8s gas so avoid it if you want good gas milage....
love
me
V-TEC hardly ever kicks in for me, I try to keep my rpms below 2500, which is easy in sport mode and using the paddle shifters. I also often start out in 2nd gear because its so easy to run the rpms up in 1st.

Old 04-27-2007, 04:09 PM
have you tried driving only hway miles?

you should get between 34-36mpg ....for hway..(prob more)

Fit auto hates city driving... if you do 50/50 city/hway driving you should get around 30mpg....

Old 04-27-2007, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by bestfit
have you tried driving only hway miles?

you should get between 34-36mpg ....for hway..(prob more)

Fit auto hates city driving... if you do 50/50 city/hway driving you should get around 30mpg....
I've been meaning to do a highway-only drive, topping off right before I get on the highway, driving about 30 miles, turning around, and coming right back and filling up again, but it hasn't happened yet. Maybe tomorrow.... I'll keep everyone posted.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:57 PM
highway mileage is 29-30

I have meticulous records on my AT Sport. City runs from 23-26. Highway is 29-30, whether 60 or 80mph. One passenger. Factory says it is within their acceptable range. Grimes Motors, the Honda dealer in Helena, MT doesn't care either. The owner did care when I told him I was going to put a sign in the window that says "Another lemon from Grimes Honda". He said that would be "mean". I have trying to get a meeting with the factory rep about the MPG and poor warranty service when he is in town since January but the dealer keeps "forgeting".

Old 04-28-2007, 01:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Terry F
I have meticulous records on my AT Sport. City runs from 23-26. Highway is 29-30, whether 60 or 80mph. One passenger. Factory says it is within their acceptable range. Grimes Motors, the Honda dealer in Helena, MT doesn't care either. The owner did care when I told him I was going to put a sign in the window that says "Another lemon from Grimes Honda". He said that would be "mean". I have trying to get a meeting with the factory rep about the MPG and poor warranty service when he is in town since January but the dealer keeps "forgeting".
Most of the people in the Vancouver forum report similar mileage. I would say that it is 'normal', since all of us are quite close in reports.

Old 04-28-2007, 11:56 AM
June 2007 3rd Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
mileage

average: 34
best: 37.8
worst:31

60% highway
Mix between aggressive and economic driving. Meaning will shift around
2500-5000. However, I make sure I don't brake too hard when stopping. Helps with heat.

only mods: K& N drop in filter and straight pipe

Old 04-28-2007, 12:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by s0x
not to sound like a dick but if you notice like 90 percent of the ppl getting bad milage have an automatic car and they probably have a heavy foot just cuz you dont go 90 on the freeway doesnt mean you floor it to get up the onramp that will kill your gas milage!!!! also learn how your rpms work and try to stay below the 3300 mark if you can and you should save gas vtec h8s gas so avoid it if you want good gas milage....
love
me
god i'm getting sick of this repliy i don't have a heavy foot ive babied this damn thing and it gets worse gas mileage. this car was supposed to be an economy car getting good mileage well guess what its not and guess what else we have been lied to by honda plain and simple. my first few tanks i got between 24-28 mpg 50% city 50% highway and this tank i will be lucky to get 19-21 which is pathetic for a small car. oh i know how to drive a low powered car i have a 92 civic hatch with a 105 hp d15b7 guess what i get 34 city 42 highway so there. i think what we should do is start a class action law suit on honda and see what they do about it then

Old 06-07-2007, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by LizardKing
I've been meaning to do a highway-only drive, topping off right before I get on the highway, driving about 30 miles, turning around, and coming right back and filling up again, but it hasn't happened yet. Maybe tomorrow.... I'll keep everyone posted.
80% highway, %20 city: 28mpg. Very disappointed... When I get my oil changed, I'll have the dealer look at my car. I'll also have them align it, it pulls to the right. My oil is at 60% so it should be in about 2 months.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by s0x
love
me
If you're not trying to sound like that, you must be a natural.

I typically get average MPG numbers that are about 2 - 3 over the EPA stated Hwy MPG. It's been true in my wife's Sebring (29mpg), my '96 Mazda Protege (41mpg), and my '90 Geo Metro (51 mpg), so I would say that I can adjust my driving style well for fuel efficiency. Just so you don't think that I'm some grannie driving fool, I've driven my Porsche 0-60 in under 5 seconds and my favorite "fun run" is Upper Big Tujunga Canyon Road between the Angeles Crest and Angeles Forest highways. If you're familiar with that specific stretch of road, you know why.

Actually, I believe that this auto trans has some issues that Honda is not yet addressing. I read in another post that Honda has not mated this trans to this engine in any car except the USDM 2007 Fit. The CVTs seem to get almost the same mileage as the MTs, but it looks like the ATs are getting 15% lower or worse, I'd guess that the average is around 20%. That's for a lot of drivers in a lot of locations under a lot of conditions. With careful drivers, the MT Fits are delivering numbers that are better than 10% over the EPA ratings, I'm averaging less than 34 mpg with my Fit, which is more than 10% below the EPA hwy rating.

I do not think that 35 mpg is good for a small, low power car, I used to get that with my '58 VW bug. I would think that with 50 years of technological advances, Honda could do better. My Dad still gets 38mpg with his '90 CRX Si, which is rated at 108 hp, Honda did that well 17 years ago.

Eric

Old 06-09-2007, 02:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ewdysar
... Actually, I believe that this auto trans has some issues that Honda is not yet addressing. I read in another post that Honda has not mated this trans to this engine in any car except the USDM 2007 Fit. The CVTs seem to get almost the same mileage as the MTs, but it looks like the ATs are getting 15% lower or worse, I'd guess that the average is around 20%. That's for a lot of drivers in a lot of locations under a lot of conditions. With careful drivers, the MT Fits are delivering numbers that are better than 10% over the EPA ratings, I'm averaging less than 34 mpg with my Fit, which is more than 10% below the EPA hwy rating. ...

Well, it looks like there is someone around which has the same opinion I got long time already by reading the bad mileages hire.
It is a fact that Honda did have to make an auto trany special for Northern America because you don’t want to have the CVT there.
The big deviation in the usage among the auto fit is very strange and it looks to me that there is something wrong with the engine management.
It is hardly possible that these deviations are happening due to quality deviation in the mechanical parts.

Anyway, I have bought my Jazz because of the efficiency and don’t regret.
It’s true that I prefer a driving style which shall help to save gasoline but the distance of my working way (5.3km) is actually not supporting a god average since the car hardly can worm up.
Even under this condition I get an average of 5.829l/km or 17.156km/l or 40.352mpg.
This average is calculated after my last refill and reaching 16’000km and since there is summer hire in Switzerland it is still increasing.

It is my second Jazz with CVT and with the first one I did drive nearly 70’000km.
Started to collect the bill only for the last 10’000km and there I got an average of 5.2l/km.
This shall show it still can get better.
Anyway, in the AT Fuel Economy POLL I am still topping the list together with a normal auto user.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/eco-...nomy-poll.html

Perhaps for the future, you should start to make pressure to Honda also to bring CVT to USA. At least as an option!

Old 06-09-2007, 11:13 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Originally Posted by peg_leg
god i'm getting sick of this repliy i don't have a heavy foot ive babied this damn thing and it gets worse gas mileage. this car was supposed to be an economy car getting good mileage well guess what its not and guess what else we have been lied to by honda plain and simple. my first few tanks i got between 24-28 mpg 50% city 50% highway and this tank i will be lucky to get 19-21 which is pathetic for a small car. oh i know how to drive a low powered car i have a 92 civic hatch with a 105 hp d15b7 guess what i get 34 city 42 highway so there. i think what we should do is start a class action law suit on honda and see what they do about it then
The 109hp fit is stronger than my 120 EX 96 civic. U can't realy say just cuz u got high mileage on that civic, means you should know how to get high mileage on this car. Because the fit is a stronger car, it's more flexible in that if you want more speed, u can have it, but at a cost. What i'm saying is it's easy to get good mileage on that civic. if u want to get similar mileage as ur old car, u need to retrain yourself.

You seem upset, but try driving your fit such that the acceleration is as slow as your old civic, even if the fit is capable of driving faster.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:21 AM
FIT Sport AT mileage is bad - dealer agrees but doesn't care

Once again: My Sport AT gets about 25mpg city and 30 highway no matter how I drive it. The dealer even drove it for 120 miles very easy flat highway drive and got 30.2. They and Honda say that is within specs!!! They don't care. My sons 04 Civic AT gets 32 city in Denver where every stoplight change is a drag race. I am glad for the people whose Sport AT gets good mileage but Honda should take care of the defective ones. I always tell people to get a Civic, they will be more certain to be satisfied.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:31 AM
5 Year Member
i solved my bad gas mileage problem

Old 06-14-2007, 10:32 AM
It's been close to an entire year of driving and after 12,000 miles and 2 oil changes, my AT Sport Fit is finally getting the 31/37 MPG as advertised. For a good part of the first year, I was getting comparably bad mileage on the car with a low of 27 MPG during the winter months, whether city or highway driving. Now, it seems to have improved drastically. The only thing I can think of is that it needs time to break in. Plus, I've learned how to drive the Fit economically, letting it coast to a stop when I'm able and not trying to gun it too much. The Fit is extremely sensitive to aggressive driving and your MPG will suffer dearly for jackrabbit starts and hard braking. For those still suffering the poor MPG blues, I say to stay with it and give it a good year. I believe that you should see some improvement after it has a good 10000 miles under the hood.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:56 AM
Average: 32 mpg
Car type: sport auto, paddle shifters
Gas: regular

I avg 32mpg. Morning commute lots of stop and go traffic, home commute same thing.. I still avg 32mpg... I use the paddle shifters and use regular gas. I rarely go over 3000rpm. still haven't gotten an oil change yet. The maintenance minder is at 30%.. currently have around 4800 miles

Old 06-17-2007, 11:02 PM
I have a Sport AT that I got last week. I got 32 mpg in the beginning and loved it expecting it to get better. I noticed the last several days that it seemed to be sucking up gas quite fast. I usually only let my tank go down to just under half full and I've had to go to the gas station almost daily.

I read on here about not using Costco gas and that is what I have been using lately. I went today and I had 23 mpg. I am not happy. I did fill it with Shell and will see if it makes a difference. Shell is more expensive but if I get better gas milage, I assume it will be worth it. Costo was $3.07 and the Shell by my house is $3.89. I filled at the Shell station by my mom's and it's $3.09 there. I still had almost half a tank of Costco gas so I hope the mpg will go up with the next couple of fills.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:04 AM
Another low gas mileage FIT

I have logged in 475 miles on my new FIT. I drive around town only, and short distances. My mpg is only 22. I am extremely disappointed. I was brushed off by Escondido Honda, they said it is because of CA.'s oxygenated gas. I called Honda customer service at 800-999-1009. They would like to hear from anyone else with this problem. Have your VIN# handy. There is power in numbers, you know. Call them with your low mpg. Log your complaint. As for me, I will try the K&N air filter, other than Costco gas, driving even slower than I already do, and hopefully, one day my car will give me better mpg's.

Old 06-23-2007, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bluemeanie
It's been close to an entire year of driving and after 12,000 miles and 2 oil changes, my AT Sport Fit is finally getting the 31/37 MPG as advertised. For a good part of the first year, I was getting comparably bad mileage on the car with a low of 27 MPG during the winter months, whether city or highway driving. Now, it seems to have improved drastically. The only thing I can think of is that it needs time to break in. Plus, I've learned how to drive the Fit economically, letting it coast to a stop when I'm able and not trying to gun it too much. The Fit is extremely sensitive to aggressive driving and your MPG will suffer dearly for jackrabbit starts and hard braking. For those still suffering the poor MPG blues, I say to stay with it and give it a good year. I believe that you should see some improvement after it has a good 10000 miles under the hood.
Ditto. I was stuck at 27-31 mpg for the longest time, and if I grandma'd the gas pedal, could hit 35-37. But after a year, a bad tank is 32-33mpg, 33-38 is the norm, and slow-poke style is 42-43 mpg.

@peg_leg - too bad it didn't work out. There's a old fellow from a local flying club in my home town that gets awful mpg in his a/t Fit too. He also owns an a/t Civic (with proper mpg), so he knows damn well that something is not right and that it's not just driving style.

-

Old 06-23-2007, 09:44 PM
80% hwy (75-85 mph average w/ AC.....carpool/fast lane)
20% city

low: 28 mpg
high: 31mpg

my gas warning light comes on at around 275 miles.
i cracked the 300 barrier, maybe once.

1 oil change at 5k miles

odometer reading: 6,500+ miles

Old 06-26-2007, 02:45 PM
Hess gave me good mileage, 26.6 mpg, my second highest! I hope it keeps going up!

Quick Reply: LOW MPG thread