General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

LOW MPG thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 04:50 PM
A/T Sport, 4100 miles. Just a note, inflating the tires from 31 all around to 38 pushed me from 27 mpg average to 30 mpg average. I have noticed no roughening of the ride, improved handling and I did not change habits since inflating. Just something to mull around.

Old 08-18-2006, 10:02 PM
5 Year Member
Well...
I'm back at 28.3

What did I do to make it go down 2-4 mpg?
I got my first oil change last night (at firestone...)
It seems to be running a hair rougher now too...

I'm guessing it's that idle thing...
I'll have to go do that tonight...

Old 08-19-2006, 01:36 AM
Automatic Sport
Milege so far: 1900 miles
Average MPG: 27.3
Best MPG: 35.7 (90% Freeway averaging at 75mph)
Worst MPG: 25.7 (Mostly City)
Gas: Costco, Chevron, Shell, 76... almost all gas stations around
Tire preasure: 35 psi
70% time single driver, other time from 1 to 3 passengers
Did Idle Learn Procedure at about 1000 miles, still no significant improvement
Southern California

What else I can do to improve MPG

Old 08-19-2006, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by roenyc
I agreee heck i was thinking that.

i drive with kids. a car seat with baby and 3 skinny boys. not all the time but a good amount of the time

i drive stop and go. and some highway

just filled up - my last tank 23 mpg. did two days highway. wow!! best yet.

my dealer doesnt want to deal with this issue but when i told him i was ready to trade this car in for a hummer he said he would test drive or milage drive it? when they paint the hood next week.

not what i signed up for.
driving a fully loaded fit does affect the MPG quick a bit, at least with my case as well, the lowest tank I got was 23.5 and that was with 4 adults and with A/C on 80% of the time, vs 2 adults with no A/C I was able to crank out 34 MPG highway miles...best yet...so it does fluctuate, I think we need to give the car more break in time and do the idle learning procedure correctly to be safe...afterall, the car has 3 years warranty, so there's plenty of time to learn our car...

Old 08-21-2006, 02:33 PM
Costco gas bad for FIT?

ug, just got off the phone with honda america service and they say my low miliage problem is from using costco gas.

this witch read me the entire manual page on gas usage. saying make sure it only has 10% ethonol and doesnt have methonal. oh an her honda started to knock after using costco gas.

she sent me to the goverments web site about fuel effeciency and i told her over and over that i was there many times. and it doesnt matter what i do or how i drive i am getting an average of 20 mpg.

i really think i have had enough of honda. they dont really care if we sell our cars or trade them in or anything. they are just very independant on this little car.

they are opening up a case to have my roof painted. i already have the hood sceduled. but enough already. the car is two months old. wish i didnt love the handling so much.

going to look at a versa right now let you know what i think.

Old 08-21-2006, 02:41 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Yeah, I'd have to say I can't imagine that the brand of gas matters that much. Most of the gas sold within a region is probably identical. Even with ethanol added, 20mpg is way too low.

We used to always use Costco gas in our cars when we lived near one of their stations, and it behaived identically to gas from other stations.

Old 08-21-2006, 03:02 PM
Keep a log.

Keep receipts for gas.

Keep records of it all, then take it to Honda. 20mpg is unacceptable in a vehicle advertized as being able to get 38mpg on the highway.

Old 08-21-2006, 03:06 PM
I've used nothing but Costco gas since the day I got my Fit and I'm getting good mileage.

Of course, it could vary from state to state but I've found that they're pretty consistent in quality.

Old 08-21-2006, 03:31 PM
In any given region/state in the US you are getting the same type of gas at most pumps. Some may have different additives or detergents, but the basic stock is has to conform to the same standards. If you are in a region like the Northeast or CA where you have a reformulated gas requirement, then you are getting at least 5.7% ethanol, and probably 10%. The gasoline is a specific blendstock made to meet the fuel spec when you add 10% ethanol to it. If you find a brand that seems to run better or get better mileage, stick with it. But the actual differences between 87 octane unleaded from supplier to supplier is either none, or not much. Most of the gasoline in a given region comes from the same bulk storage facilities and may be blended to a specific "recipe" for different retailers.

I just put Costco gas in my Fit and it seems to be running just fine. I will probably be filling up there this week so I'll report back if I notice anything weird.

Old 08-21-2006, 04:50 PM
Costco gas

Where in NYC do you find a Costco with gas pumps

Old 08-21-2006, 06:55 PM
AT Sport
3300 miles
Average MPG: 30 (80% city, 20% highway)
Worst MPG: 26 (with A/C on)
Best MPG: 37 (all highway miles, just this month)
Gas: Mostly Arco
Tire pressure: 36 psi

Mileage now varies between 28-30 MPG. However, it really takes a dump whenever I have the A/C on. I think my highway miles have drastically improved from 27 MPG to 37 MPG, after driving it hard through the tight turns of Yosemite National Park. It also drives alot smoother and has a bit more zip on hills than before. Howevver, I won't be completely happy until the mileage consistently stays in the advertised 31/37 MPG. But right now, I'm happy with the Fit and it's performance. For others with the bad mileage dilemma, I say don't give up hope; keep driving and hope that the engine breaks in. You will probably need to do some hard driving on some hills and turns to work out the engine.

Old 08-21-2006, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by bluemeanie
AT Sport
3300 miles
Average MPG: 30 (80% city, 20% highway)
Worst MPG: 26 (with A/C on)
Best MPG: 37 (all highway miles, just this month)
Gas: Mostly Arco
Tire pressure: 36 psi

Mileage now varies between 28-30 MPG. However, it really takes a dump whenever I have the A/C on. I think my highway miles have drastically improved from 27 MPG to 37 MPG, after driving it hard through the tight turns of Yosemite National Park. It also drives alot smoother and has a bit more zip on hills than before. Howevver, I won't be completely happy until the mileage consistently stays in the advertised 31/37 MPG. But right now, I'm happy with the Fit and it's performance. For others with the bad mileage dilemma, I say don't give up hope; keep driving and hope that the engine breaks in. You will probably need to do some hard driving on some hills and turns to work out the engine.
I have the EXACT same mpg, 1 more psi and about the same milage. Seems to get better with a few more miles and I work the car hard. Keep plugging away, and it should improve.

Old 08-21-2006, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by postman
Where in NYC do you find a Costco with gas pumps
Brooklyn and Staten Island both have Costco. Staten Island has a Costco gas station.

Old 08-21-2006, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
I'm getting avg 31-32 MPG. Not sure if this is good or bad, but my driving is mostly city. Takes me 10 -13 minutes to get to the damn freeway from my house. I'd say 65% city, 35% hwy.

Old 08-21-2006, 07:42 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
I wonder why all these people are getting bad MPG? Im sure having the AC on would require a little more pedal to get through traffic. But still, My Mx6 gets better MPG with the AC on. And my whole fuel system is upgraded.

I think its because most of these Fits have under 5000miles. I know that the car is already broken in and everything but the cars at my job (Carmax Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep) mention best mileage after 10,000miles.

Old 08-21-2006, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
I wonder why all these people are getting bad MPG? Im sure having the AC on would require a little more pedal to get through traffic. But still, My Mx6 gets better MPG with the AC on. And my whole fuel system is upgraded.

I think its because most of these Fits have under 5000miles. I know that the car is already broken in and everything but the cars at my job (Carmax Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep) mention best mileage after 10,000miles.
I'm sure the NY and LA guys can relate to this:

Here is my route to work:

2 stop signs, 18 traffic lights, 1 toll booth, 2 uphills, 6 km, 25 MPG.

Last edited by crimsona; 08-21-2006 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by Mx6GT89

Dude, everyone that is reporting poor fuel economy, apparently, has an automatic transmission.

Not everyone that has an auto is getting poor economy, though...

There's something going on with the AT Fits.

Old 08-21-2006, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member
Well, I'm not so concerned as 32 MPG is pretty good for city driving. I havent really given it a full HWY trip yet, but when I do, I better be getting at least 37 MPG!

Old 08-21-2006, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by Fray Adjacent
Keep a log.

Keep receipts for gas.

Keep records of it all, then take it to Honda. 20mpg is unacceptable in a vehicle advertized as being able to get 38mpg on the highway.
You can get 20 mpg if you have a lead foot, and you're doing a lot of fairly hard accelerating (from a stop or otherwise).

I've never been able to acheive the EPA estimates without being very conservative with my acceleration (relatively speaking). If you're driving fairly hard, 20 mpg could be a likely side-effect.

Old 08-21-2006, 09:23 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
The thread starter is getting unbelievably low mileage tho. 20 is not even close to anything else.

Quick Reply: LOW MPG thread