General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Paddle shifters

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 02:16 AM
5 Year Member
Paddle shifters

I dunno about everyone else but when i'm in S mode.. i have problem changing to 2nd gear when turning. my fingers are at an awkward angle.. i have to straighten out before i can change gear unless i twist my wrist.. i only rev up to about 3-3,5k before the engine get's loud...

Old 08-17-2006, 02:39 AM
5 Year Member
I just either shift to 2nd a little earlier or hold the 1st out a little longer

Old 08-17-2006, 03:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by whitefitsport
I just either shift to 2nd a little earlier or hold the 1st out a little longer
yeah i tend ot hold the 1st a little longer..

Old 08-17-2006, 09:28 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
don't shift when turning. you're not supposed to.

Old 08-17-2006, 11:17 AM
Shifting from D to S mode

dunno anyone tried it or not... it happened to me and it's pretty annoying... when I'm driving at 5th gear in D mode and change to S mode, instead of keeping at 5th gear, it drops to 3rd gear!! the first time it happened to me when I was driving at 70mph and it really scared me since the speed dropped really quick. Then I tested it again when I was at 40mph, still the same thing.... just want to know has anyone tried it?? is it normal??

Old 08-17-2006, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by melvin
dunno anyone tried it or not... it happened to me and it's pretty annoying... when I'm driving at 5th gear in D mode and change to S mode, instead of keeping at 5th gear, it drops to 3rd gear!! the first time it happened to me when I was driving at 70mph and it really scared me since the speed dropped really quick. Then I tested it again when I was at 40mph, still the same thing.... just want to know has anyone tried it?? is it normal??
if your cruising in top gear (5th) at low rpms you switching over to S mode will drop gears since the car is expecting you to drive more aggressive but when you dont it shocks you. you can still downshift in D mode with the paddles and up shift as well.....and once your done fiddling with the paddles itll resume regualr D mode.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:44 PM
The reason I changed to S mode when I was driving at 70mph is that it's a bit hilly and I thought it's better to shifting between 4th and 5th gear myself... i think my engine was around 2500 rpm at 70mpg so it's not low rev... and should my car think that 3rd gear is too aggressive for 70mph??

And I read through the menu but it doesn't mention anything about downshifting from D to S mode. Just want to know it's normal or sth wrong with my Fit

Old 08-17-2006, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
Mine does it too... so I think they're right about it expecting you to try to speed up...

I've kinda gotten into the habit of pulling the gear stick back and upshifting with the paddle immediately...

The RPM's will still rise, but you can catch it before it actually settles into the lower gear....

Old 08-18-2006, 05:02 PM
S mode at highway speed is defaulted to 3rd gear. No harm in going 70 in third, but it just revs the engine up which takes a little extra gas and makes a little noise. Nothing is wrong with anyones Fit that does this. Also of note, if you downshift in D mode on hills, it will stay in the gear you downshifted to if you have enough throttle on it. Just a thought if you dont like to drop all the way to third.

Old 08-18-2006, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member
theres no need to shift to S if you want a little more acceleration for a hill. you can still downshift to 4 with the paddles in D

Old 08-18-2006, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
paddle shifters, paddle shifters, paddle shifters, hee-yaw! man do I like them paddle shifters. paddle shift up, paddle shift down, paddle shift all the way home. dbw, dbw, dbw, dbw. I read on one test that they liked the rubber backing to the paddle shifters, but mine are plastic. yours 2?

Old 08-18-2006, 08:08 PM
I always select my gear prior to my turn. Whether it's 1st or 2nd, I stay with it while turning, power out, then upshift. Shifting during a turn is not ideal as someone had mentioned, unless it's a long swooping bend/turn of course.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-18-2006, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by joe FIT
I read on one test that they liked the rubber backing to the paddle shifters, but mine are plastic. yours 2?
Funny, I only feel the rubber on the + paddle ???

Old 08-18-2006, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
would you look and see if it really has rubber, maybe a rubber like covering and mine could have fallen off, since it had 500 mi when I bought it, with many small nicks and scratches, maybe the paddle shifters are supposed to have a rubber covering? anyone else can say for sure if the paddle shifters have a rubber like cover or coating, or are they simply hard plastic like mine?

Old 08-18-2006, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member
thanks for the info
can u be gasing and shifting at the same time or should you take ur foot off then shift?

weird thing i notice is my gear does switches 1-2 second after i press the + or -.. is ti normal? doesn;t jump gear right away

Old 08-18-2006, 08:40 PM
5 Year Member
looking at the pars fiche, it calls out satellie aluminum NH600L for color so it just may be different?

Old 08-18-2006, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by simons2k
Funny, I only feel the rubber on the + paddle ???
Same here, I assumed all were the same...

Old 08-18-2006, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by hqly
thanks for the info
can u be gasing and shifting at the same time or should you take ur foot off then shift?

weird thing i notice is my gear does switches 1-2 second after i press the + or -.. is ti normal? doesn;t jump gear right away
Gas with the shift, no need to let off. Also 1-2 seconds is not correct. If the computer thinks you shouldnt shift it may not let you until you let off the pedal. Mine shifts about .5sec after I press the downshift, quicker on the upshift.

Old 08-18-2006, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by hqly
thanks for the info

No problem with accelerating and shifting at the same time.

And yes there is a slight delay with our paddle shifting. The only "true/crisp" paddle shifters I've experienced are that of the M3's SMG tranny and the 360 Modena's F1 tranny. The Lambo's have 'em too. They are soooooo sweet. They even "blip" the throttle for you as you down shift to rev-match !

Old 08-18-2006, 08:52 PM
5 Year Member
I went out and looked at the paddles, mine simply has 2 plastic paddles, the + shifter has 2 ridges on the backside, the - paddle has a smooth backing, I would only asssume thats intentional, just in case your turning and the paddles are 180 out, like turning in a parking lot, eh?

Quick Reply: Paddle shifters