General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Looking to buy a fit real soon

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 10:01 AM
Looking to buy a fit real soon

Hey guys,

Noob member here with a couple questions. :]

I'm in the market for a new Fit Sport, and I plan on getting it within the next couple days.
I was really wondering how it handles in inclement weather, to be specific mainly snow. I just moved to Frederick, MD like 2 weeks ago from California, and I've never had any experience driving in snow MT or AT. I've read a lot of mixed reviews about the fit and snow. Some said stock/snow tires are fine, and some just said they don't drive the fit during the winter season.
Is it really that bad, or am I just being paranoid? Any tips?

Also, the same thing goes with really windy days and heavy rain...
I feel as though the damn car will pick up and fly if a strong gust of wind were to hit it.... -_-

I've been leaning on the automatic because the traffic in and around the DC area is horrendous.. Also, I haven't driven a stick in 5 years, and that was very briefly.... :[
Anybody care to speculate? Does bumper-to-bumper traffic make you wish you had the automatic, or is it not that big of a deal?

Old 04-27-2013, 10:11 AM
5 Year Member
My youngest son drives a Fit, any my oldest son drives a Toyota Corolla. I wish both cars were Toyota's...probably not what you wanted to hear, but its my feelings and you might want to consider. I find the Fit way too low, and I can't imagine driving it in snow conditions unless I wanted to use the plastic bumper as a snow plow. Also, I just order ($200) a new A/C blower motor that Honda admits is a piece of S#@T and in which they won't help since the vehicle is 40K and out of warranty, the A/C is fairly weak, the ride is rough, tires are more expensive and less selection, roof paint not holding up, rattles and interior not as nice, does not feel as safe as the Toyota, gets easily pushed around by wind...but the Fit can also be fun to drive at times. Take it for what's its worth.

In reference to transmissions, when I was young I always drove a stick and don't recall it being a problem...but now I'm used to auto's. Eventually you will either be replacing a clutch, which you can do yourself, or have an expensive auto transmission replaced/repaired. Your choice. All of my cars are auto's, so doing transmission fluid changes is a must in my book. Our Toyota is our most dependable car.

Last edited by Spacecoast; 04-27-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:09 PM
Thanks for your reply Spacecoast!
I am usually also a Toyota kind of guy, but for my price range the Yaris just looks..... yeah. I was actually thinking of the Kia Rio as well, but I'm still quite impartial toward Korean and American car manufacturers... I think it's from the trauma of seeing/hearing all these horror stories when I was younger...

Old 04-27-2013, 12:46 PM
Got my Fit Sport in late 2010 and snow hasn't been an issue although I don't exactly remember how much snow we've had the last couple of years.

The bigger issue than the car is the driver, especially if you haven't spent a lot of time driving in snowy conditions.

If there's so much snow that your bumper is hitting it, probably not the best conditions to be driving in, regardless of vehicle type.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:03 PM
I drove through a damn blizzard in my fit. STOPPING and STARTING were not great. Once already moving, the giant water groove actually helps track the car straight.

I highly recommend if living in a snowy region, to remove the dunlops, sell them for $150 to some poor soul, and buy LLR winter tires. Low rolling resistance tires last longer, and the winter versions do well on dry and wet pavement outside of winter.

Who can argue that 65.000 mile warranty aint great for a $75-99 tire?