General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

RAN-up from RSR

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by krunk13
Yeah its been in my oil for about 200miles....omg feels like it's reving a lot quicker and there's almost no ticking sound to the engine at all. I'm driving it like I stole it and still averaging 33mpg which is 2 higher than my last fill up.
Very nice! My next oil change is coming up and I'm gonna get some of this to slip in.

-Dustin

Old 04-09-2013, 06:50 PM
Yeah man go for it....I don't have scientific data or dynos to prove it but it really does feel like a different car at least engine wise. Wish this stuff was cheaper though.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:54 AM
5 Year Member
I just ordered a bottle this morning and am getting my oil changed this week.

I almost hate to do it because this stuff is so expensive, but I may pour the rest of the bottle into my riding lawnmower as an experiment. It's very noisy (sounds like the rod is knocking), smokes on startup, and runs pretty rough all the way around. So, I think it should make a very noticable difference in that engine. It'll be interesting to see what happens anyway.

-Dustin

Old 04-23-2013, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
I'm still on the fence for this one.....really expensive for an additive...let me know how it works out for you and the lawnmover.

I got 101,000 on mine and would like to do whatever I can to help, not harm the engine.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
Sure thing. I'll post back here once I've tried it out.

-Dustin

Old 05-03-2013, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member
I finally got my oil changed and poured about 2/3 of the bottle of Ran-Up in yesterday morning. I can't tell if mpg has improved yet, but the engine does seem to run smoother, crank smoother, and seems to be a little quieter. That's the problem with these mods that are supposed to provide small incremental improvements. Sometimes it's just not enough of an improvement to actually perceive even if it is an actual improvement.

I think the more obvious test will be when I try this out in my riding lawnmower. I'll use the sound level meter app on my phone to measure decibel levels of the engine before and after using the Ran-Up and should have some hard data to compare at least regarding how noisy the engine is.

-Dustin

Old 05-03-2013, 02:13 PM
Anyone ever use this product. Ive been reading lots of reviews and they all seem to have dyno proven results. Also J's Racing seems to be offering the same product without the oil carrier. Im waiting on my bottle to come in

RS-R Ran up - Bob Is The Oil Guy
http://www.rs-r.com/ran-up.php
Tested! RS-R's Ran-Up Oil Treatment, Power in a Bottle
Did you order J's product or RSR's?

Old 05-03-2013, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitderp
Did you order J's product or RSR's?
I ordered it directly from RSR.

-Dustin

Old 05-03-2013, 03:37 PM
FYI guys, this product has a synthetic 0w-20 carrier oil.

There are some very fancy synthetic oils out there that do this. And an oil change with the stuff would cost around $70 overall.

More budget friendly then a $50-70 bottle added.

Plus the fancy synthetic oil will give you over 10k miles of use.

Oh wait a sec, honda did that for us with the oil they put in our cars at the dealership, and the dealership charges 35-45 bucks per oil change.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 13fit
FYI guys, this product has a synthetic 0w-20 carrier oil.

There are some very fancy synthetic oils out there that do this. And an oil change with the stuff would cost around $70 overall.
Yes, but the carrier oil is only there to hold the stuff that's actually making a difference. Are you saying some of the more expensive synthetic oils already have the "microscopic bearings" built in (I know I'm not calling them the right thing)? Do you know of any brands in particular?

-Dustin

Old 05-03-2013, 03:49 PM
Also, after reading the info from the motoiq link, it appears that the 5whp is related to the dynoed/tested STI which really is only a 2% increase. With our fits i doubt we will see any power increase benefits, and the only real benefit would be a smoother running engine.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitderp
Also, after reading the info from the motoiq link, it appears that the 5whp is related to the dynoed/tested STI which really is only a 2% increase. With our fits i doubt we will see any power increase benefits, and the only real benefit would be a smoother running engine.
It really feels more like a 50% increase! I thought someone must have installed a turbocharger on my engine while I was sleeping.

Seriously though, it's just an experiment. If I can't tell that it's helped my gas mileage any before the next oil change I may not use any more of it. Even if it doesn't make a noticable power increase, but makes the engine run smoother, quieter, and gets better gas mileage it's worth it to me.

-Dustin

Old 05-03-2013, 08:37 PM
Im loving it in my car so far.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:59 AM
5 Year Member
Well, I did the riding lawnmower test yesterday. I let the mower run for a few minutes to get up to running temp, went to full throttle and measured 96 db maximum with the sound meter app on my I-phone. Then I changed the oil and poured in the Ran-Up I had left (about 1/3 of the bottle) and mowed grass for about 45 minutes to let the Ran-Up get worked in. Then I parked the mower in the exact same spot on the driveway as before, went to full throttle and measured the same 96db that I did before. If it made a difference I can't tell.

I was optomistic about this product, but I'm just not sold on it yet. If you were racing/autocrossing it may be worth it to shave fractions of a second off your lap times, but for a daily driver like my Fit the $60 per bottle shipped just doesn't seem worth it. I'm not sure that I'll use any more of it. It was an interesting experiment though.

Also, I've been watching the gas mileage in the Fit, and so far can't tell that it's made a difference. If my mpg drops after the next oil change I may change my mind though.

-Dustin

Old 05-10-2013, 04:51 AM
Banned
This^^^ it's the same old "snake oil" scam in a new package that has been emptying wallets forever.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:05 PM
I doubt J's Racing and RS-R would sell "snake oil"

Old 05-10-2013, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member
Snake Oil lol Sry........

Old 05-11-2013, 01:29 AM
Banned
I doubt J's Racing and RS-R would sell "snake oil"

LOL they will sell anything that makes a profit that's what they are in business for.

Funny how the "claims" made by the "snake oil sales people" can never be duplicated by people not connected to them.

Yea Yea I know you can "feel and hear" the difference... LOL that is what they are working for people telling others how wonderful their "snake oil" is without one iota of evidence to back their "real real" results for their VERY EXPENSIVE synthetic oil.

So go ahead keep spending money on it if it makes you all warm and tingly the more informed of us will just smile and nod our heads in disbelief.