General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Thinking of getting Fit...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 08:59 PM
Thinking of getting Fit...

Insert the redundant jokes I am sure you have all heard 1000 times. LOL. Although I could use a little fitness myself, holidays have taken their toll. Anyways...

I went from having a 1 mile commute to work to a 30 mile commute to work. More money, more problems, right? Well, better benefits too. But I drive a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. With about twice the original HP. Bloody fun to drive, but not on the wallet. Plus I need to take it off the road for a month to do some major work I have been putting off on it.

I got a 2001 Suzuki SV650S to offset the 12 MPG I get in the Jeep (yeah, like that was the only reason). But in New England, that riding season is short. Plus can't always count on getting to ride the bike into work even everyday in the summer.

So I am looking at getting a DD and I have always been a hatchback fan. My first car was a hatchback before I rolled it. I would like something I can customize a little, but not looking to a ton.

I was looking at VW Golf TDIs. But honestly, if you compare the price of a 60 mile round trip in a diesel with that of a car that gets 35 MPG, it comes out to about the same.

So why should I or why should I not look at a Honda Fit? I am looking for a 2007, preferably the Sport model. Please and thanks for any comments.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
Well....

If your looking at an 07, then also consider an 08. Both are the GD model Fit and 07-08 are the only years it was produced in the US. Only real difference is that the 08 has TPMS.

The GD will EASILY get you 30+MPG, has more storage/cargo space than most full size wagons and in general feels like a go cart when you toss it around.

There is a relatively large aftermarket that's beginning to grow again after the release of the Hondata FlasPro tuner so if you decide to tweak it a bit you have options that are not just limited to "moar low."

Also, used GD's are starting to become VERY affordable. The cars have a few small known maintenance items, depending on mileage, but a lot of bugs have been found and either fixed by Honda or well documented how to correct on here.

AND you have a huge resource of Fit Fanatics on here to answer any questions you may have

Now about this Jeep....Double the HP you say?

Old 02-07-2013, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by TPColgett
Well....

If your looking at an 07, then also consider an 08. Both are the GD model Fit and 07-08 are the only years it was produced in the US. Only real difference is that the 08 has TPMS.

The GD will EASILY get you 30+MPG, has more storage/cargo space than most full size wagons and in general feels like a go cart when you toss it around.

There is a relatively large aftermarket that's beginning to grow again after the release of the Hondata FlasPro tuner so if you decide to tweak it a bit you have options that are not just limited to "moar low."

Also, used GD's are starting to become VERY affordable. The cars have a few small known maintenance items, depending on mileage, but a lot of bugs have been found and either fixed by Honda or well documented how to correct on here.

AND you have a huge resource of Fit Fanatics on here to answer any questions you may have

Now about this Jeep....Double the HP you say?
I am a fairly tall guy. 6'1" 185 lbs. I have never been in a Fit, how cramped might I feel? I am not concerned about the backseat leg room at all. I like 4 doors, but I hardly am carting more than one other person around.

And yes, roughly. Unfortunately, there are no longer any AWD dyno's around my area, and I am not yanking the engine/trans out. Disconnecting my front driveshaft, while insanely fun for burning up my rear tires, just will not give an accurate measurement. But others have measured their HP/TQ with a hair less modifications than myself and reached numbers at 450. The added bonus to mine is to take advantage of that I dropped a fair amount of money to have the trans tuned with a custom valve body, internals, and a higher stall converter.

Only thing that sucks is it's heavy as a couple tons of bricks. And the MPG. And like pushing the limits of any vehicle, it can be costly to maintain and cause other undesired effects. But thats part of the fun, right?

But seriously, if I got a fit, I am not looking to modify it too much. Just enough to make it stand out from other fits, and a few minor engine mods at best. Don't want to lower that MPG which is the point I am looking at one in the first place LOL.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds like fun (and a typical project car that eats your time and $ )

The Fit has LOADS of head room, but I know that the driver position isn't for every one.

Cosmetic mod's are near limitless so I am certain you can style it to make it your's.

Sounds to me like you need to sit in one and get a test drive!

Old 02-07-2013, 10:10 PM
^ he makes a good point.

All I have to add is obvious. I'm going to use your problem against the idea of getting the VW.

Since obviously cost is a big factor, fit=cheaper to fix/maintain.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:26 PM
I certainly need to test drive one LOL. I am hoping to this weekend.

I imagine parts are cheaper, but one advantage I have is being able to do 99% of work myself with my Dad. BUT, I started thinking about how while I may get 40+ MPG out of a diesel, I will be paying more per gallon. So I started doing some research and found that since 80% of my commute is cruising at 65+ MPH, if I could find a car that got around 32-35 MPG highway, the price point cost of the trip to and from work would be a hair cheaper in a regular gasoline vehicle as opposed to a diesel. And of course cheaper than a Premium Gasoline vehicle like my Jeep.

Which is what led me to the Fit. The current state of Hatchbacks available in the US IMHO is deplorable. Only so many options for decent ones. I was looking at a Mazda3, but I hate that rear bumper, the MPG isn't as good, and I drove a 2013 Mazda3 sedan for a few weeks and it felt so cheap.

Anyways, speaking of cheaper to repair, I know the TDI engines 100k is just breaking them in (unless abused). I also clearly understand that pretty much any vehicle can last 300k as long as properly maintained (I had a Saturn with somewhere between 225000 and 300000 on it). I have found a few 2007s with around 60k on them. And a couple with 100k on them. Should I stray from the 100k? Obviously depends on the price as well. But I don't want to get into a 100k and find out I just inherited a headache.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member
I know a few 07's WELL over 100K (one nearing 200)

The valves do require a manual adjustment at an un set interval depending on driver load. At that type of mileage, sparkplugs and coil packs may also come up.

Other than those, if cabin filters and oil have been changed... Should be aright

Old 02-07-2013, 10:48 PM
I know a few 07's WELL over 100K (one nearing 200)

The valves do require a manual adjustment at an un set interval depending on driver load. At that type of mileage, sparkplugs and coil packs may also come up.

Other than those, if cabin filters and oil have been changed... Should be aright
All I can say is holy crap! Lol congrats and good job.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:52 PM
What is your budget—is that the main reason for primarily wanting one of the older models?

A Fit that's been maintained well for 100K miles should last for quite a few more without needing too much. A Fit that's been treated roughly or been poorly maintained at 100K miles could easily need major work before long. 100k miles on the Interstate and 100K miles on dirt roads are quite different, even though the odometer looks the same. (Really, the same could be true for one with 60K as well....)

Fits feel rather cheap, too. They last decently, handle fairly well, and are quite practical, but they are not luxuriously appointed by any stretch of the imagination. I'm 6'0" and find the driving position acceptably comfortable even for fairly long trips; however, I suspect I'd feel cramped if my legs were a bit longer. There's no excess of legroom for me. There is more than enough headroom.

I've been getting about 40 mpg in Vermont with my 2012 Fit (MT) with mostly highway driving (not all Interstate). You ought to be able to get 35 mpg or more without much trouble at all if you accelerate gently, drive smoothly, and keep to the posted speed limits; as with any car, driving more aggressively and at higher speeds will naturally lower your gas milage.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:21 PM
Ah VT and the notorious I89... What a hunk of crap that road is. Although last I knew it was getting a much needed face lift. I haven't been in a few years though. But I know 89, Route 2, and 7 fairly well.

I am only looking to spend around $10,000. I like the look of the 2007s. I don't want to get too over my head for what I can afford. Going to be hard enough after being laid off for a while and just now getting back into a decent job. I don't want to put myself in a position where if it happened again I couldn't afford to keep my head above water. Based on my budget, around $10,000 at the most is my price point.

But spending over $100 a week on gas is ridiculous. Could I do it? Sure, but certainly do not want to LOL. I can do it now and still afford a car payment. But I don't want to LOL.

Spark plugs, eh normal maintenance. Coil packs, well, not so much but why not? Especially if you want to keep that MPG. I just didn't want to hear "Yeah, after 100k stuff just starts falling apart".

As for the cheapness, I know it's not going to be on par with my Jeep interior, or that of a BMW or Audi. I looked at a few BMWs and Audis in my price range, but even doing repairs yourself, it was just too expensive and the MPG were not all that worth it. I gotta get around 32+ to make it worth my time.

And the Mazda3, IDK how to describe it, I just really felt like I was in a toy car. The MPG were amazing, but everything else had no thrills. IDK how to explain it.

And I really want a hatchback. It's really down to the Honda Fit and the VW Golf.

Nice to see the community more receptive here too. I started threads like this on a couple VW forums and Audi forums and never heard back from anyone LOL.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by DefStatic
But spending over $100 a week on gas is ridiculous.
You'd be spending ~$7 a day on gas. I have the same commute mileage wise. I have a GE but as far as I can tell from on here the GDs get similar mileage. I contend with traffic for 80% of my commute too (bay area traffic), you'd probably fair better than me.
And the Mazda3, IDK how to describe it, I just really felt like I was in a toy car. The MPG were amazing, but everything else had no thrills. IDK how to explain it.
Because the car has no soul, Fit has plenty of character.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

I am a fairly tall guy. 6'1" 185 lbs. I have never been in a Fit, how cramped might I feel?......
As mentioned the Fit (both generations) are spacious... but see how the seating is for you, as this is not a strong point among some owners.

.... But seriously, if I got a fit, I am not looking to modify it too much. ......
That's what most of us said...

Nice to see the community more receptive here too. I started threads like this on a couple VW forums and Audi forums and never heard back from anyone LOL.
They're too busy taking their cars in for service...

I loved my Audi, it was luxurious, and fast as hell (turbo), but the electrical gremlins, and reliability were crappy beyond belief.

Originally Posted by Cocowheat
All I have to add is obvious. I'm going to use your problem against the idea of getting the VW.

Since obviously cost is a big factor, fit=cheaper to fix/maintain.
x1000 It will be a while before I ever own a VW/Audi.... all that money I used to spend on parts/repairs, I can now spend on mods/updgrades.

I know a few 07's WELL over 100K (one nearing 200)....
Quite possibly more... There's even a GE8 (09+) with over 200k miles.
"It's a Honda so its as reliable as the universe" - Top Gear UK
The current state of Hatchbacks available in the US IMHO is deplorable.
I agree 100%.... I love the VW hatches... ALL of them are beautiful! but the reliability kept me far away from VW, which is why I ended up with a GE8, would've bought a GD3 in 06, but the dealership decided to change the terms when I was about to sign, so I just walked out.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:42 PM
Snow storm has kept me from looking at any this weekend LOL. Hopefully next weekend.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:59 PM
E J
5 Year Member
Guess this is as good a place as any to make my first post.

I'm in the same boat as the OP. Been driving Jeeps for 20 years, most recently a lifted Cherokee. Don't get to play offroad anymore and I also have a 35 mi commute each way. I just can't justify the $350/month in gas anymore.

Picked up a 07 Sport (Milano Red) last weekend. Was a little over 10k, but I got it at a dealer and it only has 45k miles on it.
I liked the looks of the 07-08 more than the 09+ models, especially the interior and the headlights. It's not luxurious but it's better than my old Wrangler that didn't even have carpet!

The cargo capacity was a big factor for me. I had to be able to get my bike inside.
I'm surprised how quick it feels for having such a small motor, but maybe it's just because I'm used to driving low geared Jeeps with big tires.

Also, I bought a VW for my kids to drive to school. That's been back in the shop about 6x already in less than 2 yrs. Every time the mechanic starts by saying "that's a common issue with VW's". There was no way I was buying another one.

Good luck on your search.

Glad to see there is an active community of Fit owners too!

Old 02-09-2013, 08:28 PM
Exactly, my commute to work is now 60 miles round trip, 80% to 90% highway. I love my Jeep, but 12MPG at best is no good, and because of all the modifications it requires down time. So I need a DD that is still fun.

I am finding either 07s with around 40k to 50k miles on them for between $9000 and $10,000. Or 07s with around 120k on them for various prices.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by E J

I'm in the same boat as the OP. Been driving Jeeps for 20 years, most recently a lifted Cherokee. Don't get to play offroad anymore and I also have a 35 mi commute each way. I just can't justify the $350/month in gas anymore.

Picked up a 07 Sport (Milano Red) last weekend. Was a little over 10k, but I got it at a dealer and it only has 45k miles on it.
I liked the looks of the 07-08 more than the 09+ models, especially the interior and the headlights. It's not luxurious but it's better than my old Wrangler that didn't even have carpet!

The cargo capacity was a big factor for me. I had to be able to get my bike inside.
I'm surprised how quick it feels for having such a small motor, but maybe it's just because I'm used to driving low geared Jeeps with big tires.

Also, I bought a VW for my kids to drive to school. That's been back in the shop about 6x already in less than 2 yrs. Every time the mechanic starts by saying "that's a common issue with VW's". There was no way I was buying another one.

I looked at VWs before I brought my Fit was worried about reliability. Almost brought a GD when the Fit was imported always like the look, my GE8 has grown on me. Hardest part was getting a manual transmission got a red one because it was the closest to the dealer.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:06 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by E J

Welcome to FF's Ed,
The 1st gen fit is pretty cool little car and 45k is really low! The red is a good color Cat (here on FF) has that same color and has taken home about 50 car show trophies with it. And as far as the VW aren't they built by BMW (Break a Man's Wallet)? haha
Mike

Old 02-20-2013, 11:12 PM
5 Year Member
Exactly, my commute to work is now 60 miles round trip, 80% to 90% highway. I love my Jeep, but 12MPG at best is no good, and because of all the modifications it requires down time. So I need a DD that is still fun.

I am finding either 07s with around 40k to 50k miles on them for between $9000 and $10,000. Or 07s with around 120k on them for various prices.
I got my Fit in Quebec for $9000 with 50k/miles on it. It was advertised at 10,000, and I offered 9000. The seller originally refused, but after a while the car wasn't selling so I called him back and he finally accepted. With your price range I expect you should be able to find a low mileage fit in great condition.

Most of the repairs the other posters are recommending are simply minor repairs that might help save some headache and money down the line. On my 2007, the suspension, clutch, transmission all feel fine but I will be attempting a first valve lash adjustment this summer simply because my car is due for one.