General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.
View Poll Results: did you leave your dealer plate covers on?
YES - I think they're pretty, and like to provide free advertising
20.73%
NO - they're tacky, ugly, and I ripped them off!!
74.39%
actually, I didn't get any with my car
3.66%
I didn't get any, but asked the dealer to put some on because I'm weird
1.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

did you leave your dealer plate covers on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 02:39 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
did you leave your dealer plate covers on?

Just like the title says. I took mine off the moment I got home... they're tacky, and yet every other car on the road I see has them on!! All it takes is a screwdriver, people

Old 08-09-2006, 02:45 PM
I hear you, but what really bothers me are the dealer's stickers or badges they put on the back of cars. I told my dealer to not put any dealer markings on my car.

Old 08-09-2006, 02:50 PM
I left it on - the dealership I went to was fantastic, and deserve all the free promos I can give them. I convinced my father to buy a 2006 Civic EX mt from them last month, and carry around a stack of business cards in the glove to give out if people ask about my Fit.

Come to think of it, those guys should put me on payroll.

hah.

Old 08-09-2006, 02:52 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by actonimpulse
I hear you, but what really bothers me are the dealer's stickers or badges they put on the back of cars. I told my dealer to not put any dealer markings on my car.
Yeah, I hate that, too! I've seen less dealers do that now, which is nice.

Old 08-09-2006, 02:55 PM
Which brings up:

How can I easily remove the dealer sticker? Just start peeling and then use Goo Gone? Is there anything I need to be aware of before trying this?

Old 08-09-2006, 02:55 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Mine had NO stickers or plate frames. I guess they knew I'd remove them. hehehe

Old 08-09-2006, 03:10 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by mattvb
Which brings up:

How can I easily remove the dealer sticker? Just start peeling and then use Goo Gone? Is there anything I need to be aware of before trying this?
Best way I've heard to do this is point the badge-side of the car towards the sun, let it get really hot, then CAREFULLY slide dental floss between the adhesive and the car. You can then clean and buff the paint underneath so it looks even. I'm sure someone has some more exact instructions for you, though... I found some good ones in Google searching for "debadging'

Old 08-09-2006, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by Packy
Best way I've heard to do this is point the badge-side of the car towards the sun, let it get really hot, then CAREFULLY slide dental floss between the adhesive and the car. You can then clean and buff the paint underneath so it looks even. I'm sure someone has some more exact instructions for you, though... I found some good ones in Google searching for "debadging'
Sounds like this might work. I think normally a professional would use a hot air gun to soften the glue, but the hot sun might do it these days. Good luck.

Old 08-09-2006, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Removed it ALL!

Old 08-09-2006, 05:26 PM
I used the hot sun + dental floss and it left almost no residue. What was left can easily be removed with nail polish remover.

Old 08-09-2006, 05:33 PM
Ripped mine off by the time i got home, they rub the bumper and will leave a scuff mark no the car, i know cause it did it to mine, thus why i took it off.

Old 08-09-2006, 07:19 PM
peeled mine off by hand 5 minuts after leaving the lot. No residue, they must have just put it on.

Old 08-09-2006, 10:28 PM
5 Year Member
You need the option "They WANTED to put one on my car, but I told/made/convinced them not put it on in the first place."

Old 08-10-2006, 12:37 AM
5 Year Member
I did this to remove the "Fit" emblem so I could put the "jazz" emblem on. The dental floss breaks a lot so I had to keep at it (and I could not save my "fit" badge unbroken - it is very fragile.) The foam double-stick tape came off pretty well with fingernail action.
I don't know about the adhesives dealers use for their badges - goo-gone, or maybe isopropyl alcohol would be the first line of attack. I have heard horror stories about Dodge Sprinter owners who wanted to put Mercedes Benz logos "back" on their vans - the adhesive was super tough and they had to grind it off, wrecking the paint!

Old 08-10-2006, 03:01 AM
Father of the Wasteland
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tubaman
I did this to remove the "Fit" emblem so I could put the "jazz" emblem on. The dental floss breaks a lot so I had to keep at it (and I could not save my "fit" badge unbroken - it is very fragile.) The foam double-stick tape came off pretty well with fingernail action.
I don't know about the adhesives dealers use for their badges - goo-gone, or maybe isopropyl alcohol would be the first line of attack. I have heard horror stories about Dodge Sprinter owners who wanted to put Mercedes Benz logos "back" on their vans - the adhesive was super tough and they had to grind it off, wrecking the paint!
Why?

I kept mine on. The dealership was ok. worked with me.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:59 AM
5 Year Member
Took mine off--made easier by the fact that it was secured by only one bolt! Great opportunity to buy some nice stainless 6mm hex-head bolts and washers. Found some nice little black plugs for the bottom holes on the 'smoked' grey plastic cover. On the front, we had to keep the bright yellow 'Swimmers' Carpool' frame from the old car. My Baracuda of a 9yr old daughter insisted. It really stands out on the black Fit!

Old 08-10-2006, 11:47 AM
5 Year Member
To which action are you asking why? were you replying to my message or the entire thread?
(BTW, I removed the dealer frames and put on a simple chrome bracket, and there were no added dealer stickers on my Fit - they don't seem to do that much around the Bay Area for some reason.)

Old 08-10-2006, 01:21 PM
They are still on at the moment, but I'll be replacing the back one soon with some sort of sports-related frame. I wonder which team I should get...

Last edited by Fudgie; 08-10-2006 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:45 PM
Banned
If you are ordering a car from the dealership you can ask them not to put any badges on the vehicle . They are not doing you any favors by not putting them on and it is your money you are spending on the vehicle , but chances are if the car is on the lot it already has a sticker or other "jewelry" already installed in which case they can be removed before you sign the final line.
In my case Pensacola Honda uses a cool dolphin over water on the hatch opposite of the FIT badge so I left it.
My salesman still sends me notices and keeps in touch, I wish that the dealership didn,t tack on the vehicle prep fee (rip off) and I would have liked floor mats or a cover for the hatch like some people recieved but I was the first one in my area with a B.O.M. FIT and the looks I get and the people who stop me and question me about it are worth having paid a little extra .

Old 08-11-2006, 03:30 PM
iwillfit
I left mine on (badges & frames) but I will also be that guy that in 10 years the car will still look exactly like it does today. Probably will buy the same tires and everything when the time comes.

Quick Reply: did you leave your dealer plate covers on?