General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

2009 fit sport new tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 11:24 AM
5 Year Member
I did get down on the ground and found the right rear to be very black and greasy (I think) I would buy the 53.00 shocks that you wrote about...you all are great!!!

Old 01-15-2013, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
Let us know how it works out! (it might still be worth swinging by the Honda service dept and sweet talking the manger into a "good will" repair. They can look at it and make a decision quickly).

Old 01-15-2013, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
was looking at google..and I saw the shocks for 54.00 But I'm confused as some of the sites are saying shocks and struts for the rear. Someone wrtoe that there are no struts in the rear. Help...Do you guys think that partsgeek is ok? What does OEM stand for? Hey..I said I was a chef not a mechanic...wish I was! thanks for all the help

Old 01-15-2013, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by llachef
was looking at google..and I saw the shocks for 54.00 But I'm confused as some of the sites are saying shocks and struts for the rear. Someone wrtoe that there are no struts in the rear. Help...Do you guys think that partsgeek is ok? What does OEM stand for? Hey..I said I was a chef not a mechanic...wish I was! thanks for all the help

This Part Fits the Following: Warehouse: B
Position: Rear Right
Vehicle
• 2009 Honda Fit
• 2010 Honda Fit
• 2011 Honda Fit

This Part Fits the Following:
Position: Rear Left
Vehicle
• 2009 Honda Fit
• 2010 Honda Fit
• 2011 Honda Fit

You're fine going with that link I posted. You can use the part number supplied in that link (30137-05207544) if you'd like to shop around so you can match the part up exactly. The part number should stay the same from store to store as it's supplied by the manufacturer of the parts, not the store itself.

Right and left shocks are the same as seen above.

Basically, Strut is just another name for shock, but used when the spring is sitting on a perch on the shock. On the Fit the rear springs sit on the body, not a perch, thus the use of the word "shocks". It can be more complicated, but unnecessarily so.

OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. Most reputable parts manufacturers will try to at least "meet OEM standards". KYB makes a decent product, so nothing to worry about.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
I love you guys!!!!!

Old 01-16-2013, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
This Part Fits the Following:

Basically, Strut is just another name for shock, but used when the spring is sitting on a perch on the shock. On the Fit the rear springs sit on the body, not a perch, thus the use of the word "shocks". It can be more complicated, but unnecessarily so.

OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. Most reputable parts manufacturers will try to at least "meet OEM standards". KYB makes a decent product, so nothing to worry about.
I realize that it doesnt really matter to answer the poster's question. but a McPherson strut is actually a suspension part that supports the weight of the car and replaces the upper part of a double wishbone suspension. A shock is independent and unless its a "coil over" design, can be removed without any danger.

The only problem I have with KYB (and probably most aftermarket shocks and struts) is that they are not valved identically to factory originals, so the ride will not be 100% identical to a new car. KYB Gas-A-Just are way to stiff on jounce (compression) and result in an unnecessarily harsh ride. Other KYB models may be better in this regard. The real job of a shock is NOT to assist the spring and make it stiffer, but to control rebound (extension) of the spring. If you hold a brand new factory shock in your hand, it will be relatively easy to compress and harder to extend quickly. Because of gas pressure, it will extend slowly on its own.

Last edited by nikita; 01-16-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by nikita
I realize that it doesnt really matter to answer the poster's question. but a McPherson strut is actually a suspension part that supports the weight of the car and replaces the upper part of a double wishbone suspension. A shock is independent and unless its a "coil over" design, can be removed without any danger.
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
It can be more complicated, but unnecessarily so.

GR-2 (aka Excel G) are very soft, have had them on other cars. Not sure about Gas-a-just.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:04 AM
5 Year Member
HAPPY TO SAY THAT mARIN hONDA REPLACED LEAKING REAR SHOCK FOR ME GRATIS.
I DO THINK IT'S KIND OF HAHA FUNNY THAT WHEN I WAS TO PAY THEY SAID BOTH REAR SHOCHS SHOULD ALWAYS BE REPLACED AT SAME TIME BUT SINCE THEY WERE PAYING FOR THE LEAKING DHOCK THAT THEY WOULD ONLY REPLACE ONE. SO, MY QUESTION IS SHOULD I REPLACE OTHER SHOCK THAT ISN'T LEAKING AT MY OWN COST?

Old 01-18-2013, 10:33 AM
I would bring that contradiction up to the service manager.

Shocks should always be replaced in pairs, front or rear to maintain handling balance, that's standard practice. If one side is not working as effectively as the other, which happens from wear even if the other side is not blown or leaking, handling will suffer as a result.

They cheaped out, don't let them get away with it. Call Honda Corporate if you have to.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
got a message from manager and he said due to my car only having under 28,000 miles no need to replace good shock only leaking one..hope he is right.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
yeah, that's reasonable. I'd only do the pair if you were changing to a different type/brand. If they had over 60K, wear might require doing both if one needed changing. The things are designed for over 100K (not like the Monroe ads you see on billboards suggest).

edit; didn't see your prior comment. Yeah I'd be a bit annoyed too. But really, it's not like you're driving an indy 500 racer. Small differences in dampening rates are there from the factory.

Last edited by Steve244; 01-18-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:45 PM
Yes what Steve said is right, your car will be fine, I just find it obnoxious that they wanted you to replace both when it was on your dime, but won't do the same when it's on theirs. It's standard practice to replace both and I bet if you went in to replace one they wouldn't do it unless you bought both.

Maybe not worth fighting about.

I hate dealerships.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
I would just like to add, you guys are great, that you take the time to help others is a testament to Fit Owners. Nice Job!

Old 03-25-2013, 03:38 AM
My friend shared me this when I ask him where I can find cheap quality car parts. And just want to suggest you too. Checkout on www.torontohondaparts.com and use discount code "super20" then you will save 20% on your purchases. There's nothing wrong if you will try it my friend. Good luck!

Last edited by poncianoarnel; 03-25-2013 at 03:43 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:44 PM
For the original poster....I would find a somewhat local mechanic who specializes in Hondas. I'm sure there are some around Marin. Don't be afraid to drive a little further for a good shop. Of course I'm going to have warranty work done at the dealership, but they dont have the best yelp reviews and i'm sure their services are over priced. A guy here in town has worked on Acuras and Hondas for years. He helped my girl friend with here old MDX. Did a valve adjustment for a very good price and has nothing but 15 5 star yelp reviews. I'll be talking to him soon on stuff I cannot really do myself.