General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

New Fit, used fit, or used Nissan Versa for a Rookie Driver?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by OAHU_ROOKIE
Hi Clifton: Thanks for sharing. After your mention of Yaris, I actually started looking and found something like 2007 Yaris with about 30K miles on it and the owner was asking about $8000. If the miles are low, does the year matter much? BTW, I think Yaris 2-door hatchback is very cute.
I looked up the Yaris in the NADA auto price guide in this link.
2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 3D Prices, Values & Yaris Hatchback 3D Price Specs | NADAguides

I included power windows and locks, they assume auto transmission unless you check without Auto. Based on their quote the asking
price is about right or a little low.

I'll give you some advice on used car buying that may save you some $$.If you like that car try offering 20%-25% less than asking
price. It may work and it may not. Just be prepared to buy if he accepts your offer. You can always go up if the seller doesn't accept
your first offer.

Use clean trade values for your offer, individuals usually cannot get retail prices for their car. This is a good time to try buying a used
car. Not a lot of money arount after Christmas.

Clifton

Last edited by flash75; 12-22-2012 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Correct errors and add information
Old 12-22-2012, 01:24 PM
...would you recommend buying a used Fit (with 50K+ miles) or a new Fit if the price difference is about $6-7K...
Considering the prices of used models, I'd go with new.

Last edited by mrnoyb; 12-22-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
Maybe get something like this:
2009 Honda Fit Sport Hatchback - $11888 (Honolulu)

Date: 2012-12-21, 4:59PM HST
3zjqx-3494771639@sale.craigslist.org[?]

For more info or to schedule a test drive,
please call Alex at (808)397-0817

2009 Honda Fit Sport Hatchback

Maintenance Up-to-Date
29k Lightly Driven Miles

Retail Price: $12,995
INTERNET SALE PRICE: $11,888
Accepting Any Reasonable Offers

We Accept Trade-ins
Financing Available
Shipping to Neighbor Islands Available

Old 12-22-2012, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by cjecpa
I just came across it I thought it was a fit at first not sold in USA . I see hertz sells a lot of use cars for around $11k where you are located including the Fiesta. Go on AutoTrader.
Hi cjecpa - Thanks for sharing the website. I just checked out the website for hatchbacks and there were not that many in Oahu. I will check in again for new listings.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by flash75
I looked up the Yaris in the NADA auto price guide in this link.
2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 3D Prices, Values & Yaris Hatchback 3D Price Specs | NADAguides

I included power windows and locks, they assume auto transmission unless you check without Auto. Based on their quote the asking
price is about right or a little low.

I'll give you some advice on used car buying that may save you some $$.If you like that car try offering 20%-25% less than asking
price. It may work and it may not. Just be prepared to buy if he accepts your offer. You can always go up if the seller doesn't accept
your first offer.

Use clean trade values for your offer, individuals usually cannot get retail prices for their car. This is a good time to try buying a used
car. Not a lot of money arount after Christmas.

Clifton
Hi Clifton - Thanks for the tips. I will try and let you know how it went. By the way, what do you mean by "clean trade values"? Also, is the rule of 20-25% less than the asking price also applicable to dealers? Thanks so so much for your help. Hope you are enjoying the holidays.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by cjecpa
Maybe get something like this:
2009 Honda Fit Sport Hatchback - $11888 (Honolulu)

Date: 2012-12-21, 4:59PM HST
3zjqx-3494771639@sale.craigslist.org[?]

2009 Honda Fit Sport Hatchback

Maintenance Up-to-Date
29k Lightly Driven Miles

Retail Price: $12,995
INTERNET SALE PRICE: $11,888
Accepting Any Reasonable Offers

We Accept Trade-ins
Financing Available
Shipping to Neighbor Islands Available

Hi cjecpa- Thanks for doing the search for me! I will try contacting that guy and see what happens.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by mrnoyb
Considering the prices of used models, I'd go with new.
Hi mrnoyb - Thanks and I agree. I'm crossing out on that used one. Still looking at other used ones just in case though.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:43 PM
Hi Clifton - Thanks for the tips. I will try and let you know how it went. By the way, what do you mean by "clean trade values"? Also, is the rule of 20-25% less than the asking price also applicable to dealers? Thanks so so much for your help. Hope you are enjoying the holidays.
On the NADA link the cars are shown in three columns, rough, average and clean. A clean car should not need any repairs or things like tires.

You can always offer the dealer less than his asking price. Most dealers price their used cars on the high side because they usually get a trade in car. With a inflated price they can offer more for a trade in car to make it look like the buyer is getting a better deal.

Since you are buying outright the dealer may be happy to sell it for less. But in HI it may not work as well as here where we have hundreds of dealers within a hundred miles.

Clifton

Last edited by flash75; 12-22-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:21 AM
On the NADA link the cars are shown in three columns, rough, average and clean. A clean car should not need any repairs or things like tires.

You can always offer the dealer less than his asking price. Most dealers price their used cars on the high side because they usually get a trade in car. With a inflated price they can offer more for a trade in car to make it look like the buyer is getting a better deal.

Since you are buying outright the dealer may be happy to sell it for less. But in HI it may not work as well as here where we have hundreds of dealers within a hundred miles.

Clifton
Okay. I will let you know how my experience with a dealer goes. Thanks again.

Old 12-23-2012, 02:34 AM
5 Year Member
The problem with used Honda Fits are they are in demand and there are not a lot of them out there, so the price on them is high. Last April I bought a 2009 with 13,000 miles on it for $10,000. I caught a guy moving out of the country and he was is a bind to sell it. I looked for several months before I found that one. That used pricing makes new ones look very attractive. On a new one you can get exactly what you want including color much easier.

One problem with buying new is that you must add sales tax, increased insurance, and license fees when compared to an older used one.

Last edited by n9cv; 12-23-2012 at 03:40 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:34 AM
Originally Posted by n9cv
The problem with used Honda Fits are they are in demand and there are no a lot of them out there so the price on them is high. Last April I bought a 2009 with 13,000 miles on it for $10,000. I caught a guy moving out of the country and he was is a bind to sell it. I looked for several months before I found that one. That makes new ones look very attractive. You can get exactly what you want including color much easier.

One problem with buying new is that you must add sales tax, increased insurance, and license fees when compared to a older used one.
Hi n9cv - You found a really good deal! Can I ask which part of the country you are located? I'd like to better reference your deal when looking for mine.

Old 12-23-2012, 03:38 AM

Clifton
Hi Clifton - Do you know whether paying in cash gives more negotiating power to the buyer?

Old 12-23-2012, 10:51 AM
Hi Clifton - Do you know whether paying in cash gives more negotiating power to the buyer?
Paying cash to a private seller will usually help. If you have a good credit rating most dealers would rather sell on credit if you allow them to use their credit agency. They get a comission for processing the paperwork. If
you have already have credit approved through you bank, etc they will still wotk with you.

Clliton

Old 12-24-2012, 12:09 AM
Thanks everyone who shared helpful tips, opinions, information with me regarding buying my first car. I bought a FIT today from a Honda dealer:

- 2009 Honda Fit Sport (White)
- 29,800 miles
- Auto Trans.
- Previously a leased car (have been leased by two people)
- No reported accidents or damage (Carfax report was very clean.)
- Inspected and brakes were changed by Honda dealer
- Front vender had been repaired by Honda dealer (non-collision damage)
- 3 year extended warrantee by Honda was added per my request.

Including taxes, fees and 3-year extended warrantee, the total came down to approx. $13,200

The selling price without the 3-year warrantee was 11K+taxes and fees. Hope I did a good job.

Thanks all again!

Last edited by OAHU_ROOKIE; 12-24-2012 at 01:02 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:56 AM
HONDA OVER NISSAN ALL DAY EVERY DAY!

new or used depends on your budget!

Old 01-10-2013, 01:24 AM
Thanks to everyone's feedback here, I'm enjoying my Fit Sport very much. It's been two weeks of driving about 50 miles of round-trip commute everyday and I love it!!!!!