General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Has anyone ordered a Fit from a dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Has anyone ordered a Fit from a dealership?

Near the end of the year I'm hoping to purchase a new 2013 Honda Fit, upgrading from a 2002 Hyundai Accent. I really want an auto Sport in Blackberry Plum. The Honda dealership in my city is fairly small and every once in a while will have one or two Fits. I'm thinking about asking them to order me a Fit. Has anyone else ordered from a dealer? Are there extra charges or fees involved or do I just pay the value of the car plus destination fee? I would like some input, as I want to be knowledgable, and not have a sales person jerk me around.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:59 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
it shouldn't cost you more.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
I ordered a particular color- negotiate your price first, then tell them you want a specific color.
Should not cost more, it just may take longer to get the color you want, unless the dealer can do a trade with another dealer.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Ok thanks so much. I wanted to be sure so they wouldn't try to charge for a bogus "ordering fee" or anything. I love the Blackberry Plum and can't see myself in another color. Do you need to put down a deposit?

Old 10-10-2012, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
I am sure they will want a deposite. Is blackberry plum an option again for the 2013? How is it the one time I buy a new car, the color I really want isn't an option the year I buy it?

Old 10-10-2012, 11:10 PM
I doubt that they will order one. More likely they will find one and transfer it in from another dealer.

Last edited by parmm; 10-10-2012 at 11:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-10-2012, 11:55 PM
Honestly most dealers pray on the fact that we want everything right now. But if you are willing to wait then I would suggest you walk in the dealership and order the exact one you want. Give them a maximum of 500$ for a deposit. Negotiate a price that is $600 to $900 dollars under what they are asking. Or else get them to install an upgraded arm rest, window visors, rear bumper applique, a protection package that includes the 4 rubber mats, rear cargo liner and mud guards for free in the deal.

Tell them all this and if they say no then leave them your phone number and walk away. I got ten bucks they will call you back. Stick to your guns. You will get what you want.

PS the Honda cars are legendary and I would not consider buying the extended warranty for that reason.

I would consider buying winter tires in advance and putting them on your car loan and storing them at Honda until winter. Save you some up front cash.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:45 PM
5 Year Member
Both of ours were "ordered".

We contacted the Internet salescritter at the dealership both times: This is highly recommended for any purchase, 'cause they don't get a normal commission -- they're usually on base salary plus a flat fee for each car sold regardless of price. So there's no incentive for them to load up the car with any extras you don't want.

The dealer found the 2009 at another dealership & had it transferred to them for the sale. The 2010 was on the boat when we placed the order, so it was earmarked for us when it came off the boat.

In both cases, the dealer wanted a deposit up-front prior to finding/ordering the car, but there was no extra "order fee".

Old 10-14-2012, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
We ordered from the dealer. We ordered in September of 2009 and it was built in late November. Honda built a batch of Sport Navis with manual transmission all on the same week. We received it in mid-January. Seemed like a long wait at the time but was worth it to get what we wanted. Sixty thousand miles later, a couple of months doesn't matter (but we had other cars—we could wait). There was no extra charge and I think we put a $100 deposit on the order. There was no hassle at all. The salesperson kept us informed.

This was after we got led on a merry chase by internet salespeople at dealerships who swore they were looking out their window at "the very car you say you want." Honda's own online dealer inventories were inaccurate as well. After a couple of weeks of looking, we decided what we wanted, ordered it, and waited it out.

Cheers.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
I hope you have better luck than I did getting a 2013. Every dealer within 50 miles around all wanted $300-500 above MSRP because they are in short supply. I finally found a dealer with what I wanted that would sell to me at sticker price. I had him throw in the all weather mats and the cargo mat. That was the best I could find. At least they gave me 1.86% for 60 mos.