General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit to Prius anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 10:21 PM
Fit to Prius anyone?

Anyone gone from a fit to prius or vice versa? any advantages/disadvantages between both?
which is more comfortable on a long road trip.
I bought a new 2012 in january (has about 15,000 miles now)...thinking of maybe trading it for a 2013 prius when they come out.
I went to the toyota dlr and initially wanted to look at the prius c and immediately after opening the hatch and then sitting in the back seat, it was an obvious fail.
The regular prius was nice to sit in both front and back and seems to have pretty good space in hatch and passenger area.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:26 AM
Prius wins, hands down... if you've got the extra money and aren't emotionally attached to some particular aspect of the Fit.

Better mileage, roomier interior for passengers, similar cargo space. Oh, and keys that aren't the size of steak knives. Actually, keys you never even have to handle, just carry.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:41 AM
i took a look at the prius. and the insight too for that matter. both of them have that bar right in between the rear on the hatch and blocks a good portion of my view. haven't test drove either so that's all i can contribute.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:54 AM
Originally Posted by SieGunso
i took a look at the prius. and the insight too for that matter. both of them have that bar right in between the rear on the hatch and blocks a good portion of my view. haven't test drove either so that's all i can contribute.
Agreed, that bar is definitely a puzzling minus.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:01 AM
I traded my 2010 Honda Fit in for a Prius C last March and within a month I missed my Fit so much I traded back for my Fit which was still on the dealer's lot. Also drove a regular Prius and personally think the Fit is much more fun to drive w better cargo versatility and better visibility.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:15 AM
5 Year Member
Wow, I always considered a Prius as an upgrade to my Fit. I'll admit to never driving a Prius. I'll have to reconsider that belief based on your post. Thanks.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:27 AM
Just get a TDI if you want high MPGs. The Prius isn't even fast enough to get out of its own way. 0-60 in 10+ sec seems dangerous to me.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:32 AM
Originally Posted by krunk13
Just get a TDI if you want high MPGs. The Prius isn't even fast enough to get out of its own way. 0-60 in 10+ sec seems dangerous to me.
Had a tdi and not going back. I would get like 42 mpg but diesel is like 4.25 vs reg at 3.79 plus the car was not to reliable.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator
If I ever decide to just give up in life and want to drive a bland, boring car every day then I would maybe consider a Pruis.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:53 AM
Originally Posted by MNfit
If I ever decide to just give up in life and want to drive a bland, boring car every day then I would maybe consider a Pruis.
Sounds about right

Old 10-05-2012, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by MNfit
Seriously, this. Prius redefines the term `basic transportation'. Marginally more fun than riding a bus. Fits are a Porsche Carrera, comparatively speaking.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Busfit
Seriously, this. Prius redefines the term `basic transportation'. Marginally more fun than riding a bus. Fits are a Porsche Carrera, comparatively speaking.
If basics Fits are Carrera's would that make mine the bugatti veyron of fits? lol

Old 10-05-2012, 09:53 AM
5 Year Member
I'm surprised that people are surprised at hearing the downsides of a Prius, honestly. I thought this should be clear from every motoring press article and every time you see someone get out of a Prius.

The Prius is a good car. It gets great fuel economy, it's comfortable front and rear, and it has respectable cargo room. Compared to the Fit that cargo room is distributed differently; the trunk is far deeper but with much less vertical room, both because of the Kamm back and the battery pack. My view is the Fit's cargo carrying ability is much superior, but the cubic feet are similar with the seats down. The Prius is quiet with huge range; you can take it on long drives without concern.

The Prius is not a driver's car. They're both slow in a straight line, but the Prius fears corners and, like a bad girlfriend, argues actively against you every time you try to push the pedal down. My friend who drives a Prius liked my Fit ok, but said he didn't think he could buy it for his wife because the throttle was "too jumpy" and he worried she'd hit something. That basically says it all. There is no "driving enjoyment" to be had in a Prius. The Fit is way more fun to drive, with good cargo room, and it's cheaper. But on the flip side, it delivers only acceptable comfort, it struggles on uphill highway grades, and the fuel economy is only OK.

Did I miss anything? I don't think so. LMK

Old 10-05-2012, 10:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SieGunso
The visibility is the main reason I did not even consider the Prius when I was looking in 2010. A good friend has one and I have driven it several times, but being short, that bar in the back drove me nuts. If you are tall, visibility shouldn't be as much of a problem. Great gas mileage, smooth ride and cool technology features in the dash, but boring to drive, like a Buick.

Last edited by sooznd; 10-05-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:18 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
prius drivers tend to get fed up by people thinking they are driving a slow ugly appliance. they mash the gas often off the line making them not so eco friendly. it's all irony that car. i hate that thing.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:23 AM
Don't get me wrong, Prius are excellent cars and certainly will give you many years of trouble free service. It's just that Honda's or specifically the Fit is a much more engaging drive. If you actually enjoy driving, the Fit is way more fun. I also notice the driving position, the location of all controls, and steering feel are much better than the Priuses! In the Fit everything seems to be exactly where it should be as far as ergonomics, but w the Prius some things were and some weren't. But this is only my perspective so I would suggest you go drive a couple Priuses before you decide cause it sucks getting rid of your car and then regretting it later realizing how good your old car was.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:23 AM
Plus they are bad for the environment.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:27 AM
Well said!!

Old 10-05-2012, 10:27 AM
Well said Fujisawa!!

Old 10-05-2012, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member
I love my fit but....

Have you all seen a base fit no mods.... ugly as sin!

now I saw a prius with the plus performance package, some 17's with 215 width tires on them, HID's in projectors, lowered with a sway bar....

looks good and is faster off the line than a fit, with superior mileage.

I'm actually looking at jumping into one of these in a few years, hoping they remove that massive center console divider....

Plus reports have shown that that hybrid engine can last quite a while when maintained properly....

Quick Reply: Fit to Prius anyone?