General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit to Prius anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 01:04 PM
5 Year Member
I think you press "Power" mode. And then floor it.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:27 PM
does anyone else see the whole hybrid thing as stupid. Internal combustion engines are about 15% efficient at a set rpm under set conditions while electric motors are 80-95% efficient. Im not a chevy guy but I think they have it right with the volt. imagine the Fit EV with a small range extender motor providing only electricity. Id buy that over a prius any day.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Santiad
Have you all seen a base fit no mods.... ugly as sin!

now I saw a prius with the plus performance package, some 17's with 215 width tires on them, HID's in projectors, lowered with a sway bar....

looks good and is faster off the line than a fit, with superior mileage.

I'm actually looking at jumping into one of these in a few years, hoping they remove that massive center console divider....

Plus reports have shown that that hybrid engine can last quite a while when maintained properly....

Those wheels look nice I think that with the performance package the Prius comes in at around $29k.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
What about the next Mazda3? Mazda is considering bringing the diesel version to the US.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by cjecpa
What about the next Mazda3? Mazda is considering bringing the diesel version to the US.

That looks promising

I love the sound and smell of a diesel engine

Old 10-05-2012, 05:19 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, that's a nice look on that maz3. hope they bring out a AWD version of their mazdaspeed3 next time around.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:23 AM
5 Year Member
My problem with the Prius is that even if it gets "superior" gas mileage you have to drive it for years before you break even with the cost of buying a Fit. And when the battery inevitably dies you're left with a very slow, very heavy, very innefficient car. Wherest in the Fit, we'll keep trucking. Besides, if hybrids were so good surveys like this wouldnt exist:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/04/survey-over-60-percent-of-hybrid-buyers-dont-buy-another-one.html

Old 10-06-2012, 08:03 AM
Comparing the cost break even between the fit and the Prius is kinda silly. They are very different classes of cars. As for the retention rate, that has many causes including changing family size, commuting situation etc. the battery going bad isn't any worse than the tranny getting replacing in most cars.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member
I'd like to compare that 60% to all other cars. Say 5% of cars are hybrids, ya? (Making that up for example). Well perhaps 5% of cars sold are Fords. What % of people buy another Ford? Or another Honda? Etc. I bet you'd find it's very, very similar. I was initially amused that 60% don't buy another hybrid, but maybe that's just because 60% is a normal rate of defection from any car (say a Honda Accord) to something that isn't a Honda Accord.

I think plenty of people don't have much brand loyalty; they buy whatever looks good and is cheapest, or whatever their car-enthusiast coworker recommends for "normal people, I mean not me, because I like driving a lot, but YOU should definitely check out the new Nissan Altima."

Old 10-08-2012, 06:56 PM
I have a Prius C, its really awesome, its hard to dip down below the 50 mpg on an average drive in the city. Good room and very cool standard features (bluetooth, USB, AUX)

Old 10-20-2012, 09:56 AM
well after a bit of consideration I am pleased to announce that yesterday I made the trade and am now the owner of a new pearl white prius. The fit was quite spacious but I would always get this look from passengers as they get in like... GULP!!!
the prius is much more comfortable and will serve well on long trips, super quite cabin and overall interior build and ride resembles a luxury car. It's still spacious enough to haul all my equipment and I finally have hid headlights. If anyone is ever down in the Miami area, hit me up, we'll go for a ride
felixmizioznikov@yahoo.com
FELIX MIZIOZNIKOV PHOTOGRAPHY

Old 10-20-2012, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by felixmizioznikov
well after a bit of consideration I am pleased to announce that yesterday I made the trade and am now the owner of a new pearl white prius. The fit was quite spacious but I would always get this look from passengers as they get in like... GULP!!!
the prius is much more comfortable and will serve well on long trips, super quite cabin and overall interior build and ride resembles a luxury car. It's still spacious enough to haul all my equipment and I finally have hid headlights. If anyone is ever down in the Miami area, hit me up, we'll go for a ride
felixmizioznikov@yahoo.com
FELIX MIZIOZNIKOV PHOTOGRAPHY
My condolences on your loss. [/sarcasm]

Old 10-20-2012, 10:11 AM
You'll be back

Old 10-20-2012, 10:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by krunk13
J The Prius isn't even fast enough to get out of its own way. 0-60 in 10+ sec seems dangerous to me.
2012 Toyota Prius Plug-In Hybrid 0-60 mph 10.9 Quarter Mile 18.5

2009 Honda Fit Sport 0-60 mph 8.2 Quarter Mile 16.1

Old 10-20-2012, 10:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by felixmizioznikov
the prius is much more comfortable and will serve well on long trips, super quite cabin and overall interior build and ride resembles a luxury car.
Why didn't you say anything before? I would have sold you my 1988 Lincoln Towncar which had REAL luxury and you didn't even feel bumps in the road. You just heard them!!

Name:  1988LincolnTowncarInterior.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  46.3 KB
Name:  1988LincolnTowncar1.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  39.9 KB
Name:  1988LincolnTowncarinteriorrear.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  40.4 KB

Old 10-20-2012, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
The Prius is a nice car. If you drive one you'll appreciate it's achievement. Don't knock it.

I had no interest in one. These comparisons sort of crack me up because the two cars are SO different. One's comfy for passengers and extremely efficient. The other is fun to drive and cargo-hauling (and cheaper I guess).

Anyway, Jay Leno knows why Prius buyer likes Priuses, really. "You see, in the US ... we like EVVERYBODY to know about the good work we're doing anonymously."

Old 10-20-2012, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by fujisawa
The Prius is a nice car. If you drive one you'll appreciate it's achievement. Don't knock it.

I had no interest in one. These comparisons sort of crack me up because the two cars are SO different. One's comfy for passengers and extremely efficient. The other is fun to drive and cargo-hauling (and cheaper I guess).

Anyway, Jay Leno knows why Prius buyer likes Priuses, really. "You see, in the US ... we like EVVERYBODY to know about the good work we're doing anonymously."
For me, the Fit EV would be a much better match to my driving (20-30 miles round trip max for almost everything; rental car company lots within 2 miles of my location for longer trips). That said, I appreciate what the prius is. Its refined mobility. It preserves a non-renewable and non-replacable resource for the future. It is a very reliable and low cost (on a per-mile basis) form of transport. It stands out in a fleet of boring sedans. I totally respect the future of automobiles that the prius represents. Its not just another 3 series or C class that never leaves comfort mode and never sees a track.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:05 PM
We have both the 2009 Fit and the 2010 Prius. Both are great cars. The Fit is sportier, but has a high COG , its cheaper , but worse gas mileage, It will cost less in the long run because its simpler, but uses a lot more gas. We get about 45 mg on the 5 spd Fit and 60 on the Prius, with 50Kmi on each. Both are reliable. The fit is smaller, so easier to use in the city, the Prius is far more comfortable. Trying to carry big stuff - the Prius wins hands down - can camp in it, carry a 9.5 ft Kayak inside with the back closed and once a twin bed, none of these uses could be done in the Fit. Both can be driven to be pretty equivalent, off the line, and around corners, the wider wheelbase of the Prius and lower COG make up for slower steering. The lack of a tranny and elec. assist keep it pretty competitive. The traction battery will have to be replaced on the Prius at about 200,000 miles and cost about $2000 to do so. The Fit will need a clutch and synchro rebuild about that time as well, both will need cat and exhaust too. The Fit will need pads and rotors about every 60,000 miles ( about $400) , the Prius will need none since most braking is regenerative. Lots of tradeoffs - both great cars. different strokes for different folks.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by twjohnson
We have both the 2009 Fit and the 2010 Prius. Both are great cars. The Fit is sportier, but has a high COG , its cheaper , but worse gas mileage, It will cost less in the long run because its simpler, but uses a lot more gas. We get about 45 mg on the 5 spd Fit and 60 on the Prius, with 50Kmi on each. Both are reliable. The fit is smaller, so easier to use in the city, the Prius is far more comfortable. Trying to carry big stuff - the Prius wins hands down - can camp in it, carry a 9.5 ft Kayak inside with the back closed and once a twin bed, none of these uses could be done in the Fit. Both can be driven to be pretty equivalent, off the line, and around corners, the wider wheelbase of the Prius and lower COG make up for slower steering. The lack of a tranny and elec. assist keep it pretty competitive. The traction battery will have to be replaced on the Prius at about 200,000 miles and cost about $2000 to do so. The Fit will need a clutch and synchro rebuild about that time as well, both will need cat and exhaust too. The Fit will need pads and rotors about every 60,000 miles ( about $400) , the Prius will need none since most braking is regenerative. Lots of tradeoffs - both great cars. different strokes for different folks.
Good comparison TwJohnson! I would agree both are great cars, it just depends which one you like better. I do think the Fit is much more fun to drive with much better handling. And I find the Fit's deeper floor makes it's cargo space much more useful compared to the Prius in my experience.