General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit to Prius anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 10:32 AM
Nickel for battery mined in Canada goes to Europe for smelting then to china to be changed into nickel foam and then to Japan for final assembly before going to the US.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by Santiad
Have you all seen a base fit no mods.... ugly as sin!

now I saw a prius with the plus performance package, some 17's with 215 width tires on them, HID's in projectors, lowered with a sway bar....

looks good and is faster off the line than a fit, with superior mileage.

I'm actually looking at jumping into one of these in a few years, hoping they remove that massive center console divider....

Plus reports have shown that that hybrid engine can last quite a while when maintained properly....
the prius is clocked at 10 sec 0-60 then fit does it in 8.5

Old 10-05-2012, 10:33 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
"prius with plus performance package" LOL

Old 10-05-2012, 10:39 AM
Just checked with toyota there is no "performance package" that makes the car any faster. They have TRD springs, sway bar, and forged wheels. None of those things will make your prius able to out run a fit...which is kinda sad

Old 10-05-2012, 10:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by krunk13
Just checked with toyota there is no "performance package" that makes the car any faster. They have TRD springs, sway bar, and forged wheels. None of those things will make your prius able to out run a fit...which is kinda sad
nono, it's the PLUS Performance Package. not same as regular Performance Package.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:44 AM
5 Year Member
the prius is clocked at 10 sec 0-60 then fit does it in 8.5
That's the number for the manual Fit, but with the auto like mine the numbers I've seen are just a smidge over 10 seconds. It's definitely not fast in a straight line, but enough power for getting around and having some fun every now and then IMO.

-Dustin

Old 10-05-2012, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator
The day a Pruis out runs MY Fit will be a very, very cold day in hell

Old 10-05-2012, 10:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bama3Dr
That's the number for the manual Fit, but with the auto like mine the numbers I've seen are just a smidge over 10 seconds. It's definitely not fast in a straight line, but enough power for getting around and having some fun every now and then IMO.

-Dustin
yah, unfortunately my 09 GE AT is considerably slower than my 12 GE MT.
you really miss out on the performance aspect of the Fit when you buy a
AT on this car.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mnfit
the day a pruis out runs my fit will be a very, very cold day in hell
lol!..........

Old 10-05-2012, 10:50 AM
Why does everyone like hybrids so much? im waiting on Honda and toyota to bring over some diesels or maybe in the future cars will run wave disk generators in range extended electric vehicles.

New engine shakes up auto industry - Technology & science - Innovation | NBC News

Old 10-05-2012, 10:54 AM
After briefly owning a Prius C and a 2008 Prius, the automatic Fit just feels faster even though the numbers are close. I own a manual Fit and I believe to truly enjoy the fun factor of the Fit to it's fullest along with that sporty feel, you must drive the manual tranny!

Old 10-05-2012, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by MNfit
If I ever decide to just give up in life and want to drive a bland, boring car every day then I would maybe consider a Pruis.
Holy s$%# this. Should just install that Google auto-drive in all of them to complete the detached feeling and make all occupants "riders" instead of "drivers".

My only memory of driving a Prius is with 4 people in it (coworker's car) and I literally had to floor the gas to go anywhere at any decent rate of speed.

I will say those things hook off the line though from the few times i've encountered them at freeway onramp lights

Old 10-05-2012, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
Why does everyone like hybrids so much? im waiting on Honda and toyota to bring over some diesels or maybe in the future cars will run wave disk generators in range extended electric vehicles.

New engine shakes up auto industry - Technology & science - Innovation | NBC News
yah, diesels would be kinda cool to try.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:13 AM
Fit vs Prius is as much about what you want in a car as anything. If you want comfort, smooth ride, quiet cabin, etc. then the Prius will match that more. If fun to drive is a priority, then the fit is going to be better. If I were buying today, I'd be looking at a Prius V, but for my wife to drive.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:15 AM
if I have to give up the fit for something else... it would be for a tdi for gas mileage and abarth for more pep

Old 10-05-2012, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
My only memory of driving a Prius is with 4 people in it (coworker's car) and I literally had to floor the gas to go anywhere at any decent rate of speed.
I gotta emphasize this is not because the car lacks power (net system power is 134hp, which is not horrible.) It's more because the throttle is mapped with very non-aggressive tip-in; and the spring is stiffer than most cars. These are intentional features (!) and designed to make it very difficult for the driver to call upon greater acceleration. Only near the end of the pedal travel does the throttle start to open more quickly to get to 100% by the end. Before you drive a Prius you always wonder why these hippies are so dagnam slow to pull away from stop signs; once you drive one, you understand it's because it is actually very difficult to get the thing moving! It is sort of like trying to get your donkey walking.

To be fair the Fit is on the other end of the spectrum. I often unintentionally "blip" the throttle because I've gone over a bump on otherwise level ground.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
Also, that performance pack drops the Prius to about 3.8 inches of ground clearance. The Prius is already horrible in the snow due to clearance issues (it literally gets stuck from the lower air dam). That would be possible only for people living in states with glass-smooth roads and perfect weather.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
if I have to give up the fit for something else... it would be for a tdi for gas mileage and abarth for more pep
Personally I want the 3 series wagon, but the budget doesn't support that till we're millionaires.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
The Prius and GOLF TDI are good cars. I have own Toyotas' in the past and never ever had any problems. I like the Prius but not the CVT. I think it comes down to need and personal preference when buying any car.

It is also kind of hard to compare vehicles that have a spread between $8k to $6k in price difference. Figuring the Fit $18k, Prius $25k and a 4door base TDI Golf $25k. I would assume that the higher price vehicles would have higher class interior and better installation for sound.

2011 Toyota Prius Hybrid 0-60 mph 9.7 Quarter Mile 17.1
2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI (2.0L Turbo-Diesel) 0-60 mph 7.9 Quarter Mile 16.02009 Honda Fit Sport 0-60 mph 8.2 Quarter Mile 16.1

All the cars are rated high in consumer satisfaction, reliability and owner cost. In emergency and routine handling the Golf and Fit are rated above average the Prius average.

Average MPG based on Consumer Reports. Fit 33 Prius 44 Golf TDI 38.

Last edited by cjecpa; 10-05-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by fujisawa
I gotta emphasize this is not because the car lacks power (net system power is 134hp, which is not horrible.) It's more because the throttle is mapped with very non-aggressive tip-in; and the spring is stiffer than most cars. These are intentional features (!) and designed to make it very difficult for the driver to call upon greater acceleration. Only near the end of the pedal travel does the throttle start to open more quickly to get to 100% by the end. Before you drive a Prius you always wonder why these hippies are so dagnam slow to pull away from stop signs; once you drive one, you understand it's because it is actually very difficult to get the thing moving! It is sort of like trying to get your donkey walking.

To be fair the Fit is on the other end of the spectrum. I often unintentionally "blip" the throttle because I've gone over a bump on otherwise level ground.
That is interesting, wonder if there's a "mod" to change this like ETC or something, because i've seen some Prius really get up and go and I have no idea how they do that from the one time that I did drive one.

Quick Reply: Fit to Prius anyone?