General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit Sport overdrive button

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 07:06 PM
Fit Sport overdrive button

Is there an overdrive option on the honda fit.
I cant find it. I bought my car 2 weeks ago.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by HondaN
No overdrive button on mine. Just S mode and paddle shifters...

Old 09-07-2012, 07:31 PM
do you have the fit sport

Old 09-07-2012, 07:59 PM
Use S mode, keep in 4th gear (or even 3rd!). There's your OD button.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
do you have the fit sport
Yup, check my sig. '08 Sport A/T
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Use S mode, keep in 4th gear (or even 3rd!). There's your OD button.
That's how you do it...

Old 09-07-2012, 08:17 PM
Banned
There is absolutely NO overdrive gear, or button, in any Fit. Fifth gear is as close to "overdrive" as you get. If a salesperson told you that the Fit has an "overdrive transmission", they lied.

Last edited by Triskelion; 09-07-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
No.

10charac

Old 09-07-2012, 09:50 PM
Technically both 4th and 5th gears on the automatic fit sport are overdrive gears. The gear ratios for those are: 4th: 0.761, 5th: 0.552.

Look up gear ratios explained on google as to what that means.

The manual transmission has the 4th and 5th as overdrive gears as well.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:03 PM
Banned
Fourth and fifth gear, whether AT or MT, are fourth and fifth gear. Period. No one needs to have Google explain gear ratios (except for you maybe). Guess what? My Scion xb DOES have an "overdrive" button for fourth gear. Not to engage overdrive, but to take the trans. out of its normal overdrive operation and lock fourth gear into the lower of its two speeds. Industrial large frame trucks have two speed rear differentials to provide overdrive at highway speeds. No overdrive in a Fit except the one (or two) that you are making up.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:12 PM
I was going to post about the overdrive 4th/5th but I see someone beat me to it.

There is no OD indicator but both 4th and 5th are indeed overdrive on the A/T Fit.I could pull up a ton of info on this but I'm to lazy

Old 09-07-2012, 11:14 PM
Cars havent had overdrive buttons in over ten years. Older AT cars usually have a kickdown button but thats about it. These days OD is an automatic funtion of the trans.....The Fit is not a frame truck by the way.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:46 AM
Banned
For all of the pretend "experts" who have embarrassed themselves here, saying that the Fit AT has an overdrive (or even two of them as some fools claim), this is every bit as ignorant as the kid in another thread who wants to advance the timing of his engine by turning the (non-existent) distributor. He was soo cool and "knowledgeable", he even called it a "dizzy".

These are the days of five, six, and eight or more speed transmissions. The last transmission that had an "overdrive" was the Ford A4OD. That was simply a four speed auto trans. that allowed the torque convertor to slip in fourth gear until the car hit highway speeds, and then the torque convertor would lock up and engine rpm would drop. Not truly an overdrive trans. Overdrive no long exists because there is no need for it. The days of three speed MT and AT transmissions started to end in the '70s with the concentration of the car industry on better fuel economy. Now cars have more gears than are actually needed (particularly for street driving. most of the time the AT stays in fourth gear until you kick it down into third or second for a burst of speed. The upper range of fourth gear does not really com into play until you need freeway speeds, and if you drive a MT Fit on the street at 40 mph in fifth gear, the lugging engine will tell you that this is a mistake. The AT doesn't go into fifth at low speeds at all.

When overdrive transmissions actually existed (before the '80s, and even then they were rare and used mainly by law enforcement in highway pursuit vehicles), the "overdrive was a separate gear box attached to the output shaft of the main transmission. It had to be manually engaged with a mechanical lever, and later hydraulically. Its only purpose was to lower engine rpm at extremely high road speeds.

For the ignorant people who claim that "there used to be a kickdown button for overdrive" or, "4th. and 5th. gear are BOTH overdrive", the truth is that downshifting to increase power under load (like hills) is exactly the opposite of "overdrive".

The separate final drive gearbox that is the REAL "overdrive" was invented by Deep South moonshiners in the '30s and '40s to help them outrun ATF agents and local cops on their delivery routes. Cops copied the idea, and Detroit put the overdrive boxes in later model cars sold mainly to law enforcement.

Isn't it nice for the ignorant people who make up total horseshit on forums, to sound knowledgeable and important, that there are so many more ignorant and gullible people who will believe anything you say? You can actually feel important on forums and never really KNOW, or UNDERSTAND anything at all.

Last edited by Triskelion; 09-08-2012 at 04:58 AM.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:19 AM
5 Year Member
I love my Fit with OD. Oh wait that is the wife and she has OCD not OD.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:45 AM
Originally Posted by Triskelion
For all of the pretend "experts" who have embarrassed themselves here, saying that the Fit AT has an overdrive (or even two of them as some fools claim), this is every bit as ignorant as the kid in another thread who wants to advance the timing of his engine by turning the (non-existent) distributor. He was soo cool and "knowledgeable", he even called it a "dizzy".

These are the days of five, six, and eight or more speed transmissions. The last transmission that had an "overdrive" was the Ford A4OD. That was simply a four speed auto trans. that allowed the torque convertor to slip in fourth gear until the car hit highway speeds, and then the torque convertor would lock up and engine rpm would drop. Not truly an overdrive trans. Overdrive no long exists because there is no need for it. The days of three speed MT and AT transmissions started to end in the '70s with the concentration of the car industry on better fuel economy. Now cars have more gears than are actually needed (particularly for street driving. most of the time the AT stays in fourth gear until you kick it down into third or second for a burst of speed. The upper range of fourth gear does not really com into play until you need freeway speeds, and if you drive a MT Fit on the street at 40 mph in fifth gear, the lugging engine will tell you that this is a mistake. The AT doesn't go into fifth at low speeds at all.

When overdrive transmissions actually existed (before the '80s, and even then they were rare and used mainly by law enforcement in highway pursuit vehicles), the "overdrive was a separate gear box attached to the output shaft of the main transmission. It had to be manually engaged with a mechanical lever, and later hydraulically. Its only purpose was to lower engine rpm at extremely high road speeds.

For the ignorant people who claim that "there used to be a kickdown button for overdrive" or, "4th. and 5th. gear are BOTH overdrive", the truth is that downshifting to increase power under load (like hills) is exactly the opposite of "overdrive".

The separate final drive gearbox that is the REAL "overdrive" was invented by Deep South moonshiners in the '30s and '40s to help them outrun ATF agents and local cops on their delivery routes. Cops copied the idea, and Detroit put the overdrive boxes in later model cars sold mainly to law enforcement.

Isn't it nice for the ignorant people who make up total horseshit on forums, to sound knowledgeable and important, that there are so many more ignorant and gullible people who will believe anything you say? You can actually feel important on forums and never really KNOW, or UNDERSTAND anything at all.
"overdrive" is a term to describe, not an actual procedure or part. Our company just got brand new dodge AT dump trucks and there is specifically a button that says Overdrive On/Off. They are six speeds. Some vehicles also label this as Tow/haul On/off.

The term Overdrive means any mechanism that allows an automobile to cruise at sustained speed with reduced engine RPM...The final gear. The historical records describing the mechanical procedure or "real overdrive" as you call it is irrelevant to the actual use of the term. The modern term "overdrive speed" is just a result of combinations of planetary/epicyclic gearsets...historically or modern, OD is actually the correct term.

The deliberate labeling of "overdrive" is much rarer in cars, but ALL new vehicles now have it and there are still many vehicles that label them along with an On/Off switch. For most cars, especially front wheel drive, there is no longer the option as they are now combined into a single transaxle but is still referred to for marketing purposes.

I should know, i went to school for transmissions and rebuilt plenty of them. *edit: correction, i went to NW school for high performance mechanics, but i had AT and MT classes

Old 09-08-2012, 08:59 AM
Old 09-08-2012, 12:38 PM
Banned
If SOME car maker's advertising depts. misuse and exaggerate the archaic term "overdrive", they do so because of a target audience of YOU. You believe bullshit because the plain truth is either too boring or too hard to understand. The plain truth doesn't make you feel "special" enough to stand out on forums. Surprise! Honda is not one of these. The terms "overdrive" or "over-drive" do not appear anywhere in their literature that discusses Fit transmissions- not in the owner's manual, not in the Honda Fit repair manual in the "Transaxle" section...... We have five speed transmissions- that's it, that's all. If we had five speed with "overdrive", there would be a sixth final drive gear ratio. That ratio does not exist. From first through fifth, all gear ratios are fixed and unchanging. It works the same whether in "D" or "S". MT gear ratios are also fixed- there is no selectable sixth final drive ratio.

The people who misuse "overdrive transmissions" for sales purposes have YOU as their target. You say: "Ooh. Overdrive huh? That means FAST, right? And the overdrive is only $300. more than the regular old five speed? Ooh yeah! I want dat!. Sign me right up". Big grin on the salesman's face. Still just a five speed transmission.

Hey, JDMchris.com--------- Do YOU sell Fits with "overdrive" transmissions? Or do you sell Fits with five speed transmissions because that is what Honda actually, and accurately, calls them?

Last edited by Triskelion; 09-08-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
C'mon guys, no need to step on each other, make it so complex nor get into the mechanics of OD. Though it is an interesting read.

I had an old '98 Corolla AT with an OD button. I believe that's what the OP was referring to.

HondaN, I'd recommend you take some time and read up on your Fit and get familiar with it. Enjoy your new ride!

Old 09-08-2012, 01:44 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Subie
C'mon guys, no need to step on each other, make it so complex nor get into the mechanics of OD. Though it is an interesting read.

I had an old '98 Corolla AT with an OD button. I believe that's what the OP was referring to.

HondaN, I'd recommend you take some time and read up on your Fit and get familiar with it. Enjoy your new ride!
I appreciate your spirit, but people who post bullshit, believe in bullshit, and promote bullshit, need to be stepped on. Including auto industry people who misuse mechanical terms that no longer apply.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:41 PM
You're arguing semantics. The OP was simply using a term that the general public understands. He's simply talking about an "overdrive button" that locks out the top gear. Modern cars still do have those, the Fit does not. Myself and Subie were just telling him how to get the same effect with the Fit without the button.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:53 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
You're arguing semantics. The OP was simply using a term that the general public understands. He's simply talking about an "overdrive button" that locks out the top gear. Modern cars still do have those, the Fit does not. Myself and Subie were just telling him how to get the same effect with the Fit without the button.
And YOU still refuse to understand that "overdrive" means to reduce engine rpm at high road speeds. You don't "lock out" top gear to reduce engine rpm at high speed. I am arguing facts. Get it through your pointy head- downshifting is NOT "overdrive". "Overdrive" means to have the drive axle turning at the same, or higher rpm than the transmission output shaft.

Last edited by Triskelion; 09-08-2012 at 03:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Fit Sport overdrive button