General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit Sport overdrive button

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 12:52 AM
Man this is insane It's like everyone knows the secret except one guy who is clueless.

I have both a 2012 Fit sport A/T and a 2011 Mustang GT with 6spd Auto with overdrive

Just like the 5spd Fit A/T the top gear is overdrive and on the Fit so is 4th gear.

We are calling it overdrive because of the gear ratio.If the input shaft is turning slower then the output in a particular gear then it is overdrive.

Look at the dam ratios on the Fit A/T any fool can see 4th and 5th are both overdrive.

This Jackass that has taken this thread off the deep end needs to have his head examined.

Sorry OP for all the confusion back on topic.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:53 AM
Banned
Since none of the gears have anything but a fixed ratio, they are still just a five speed transmission with no overdrive involved. It does not matter how many magazines or dictionaries you use for your excuses, or how many self-described media "experts". A five speed trans. is just that. An eight speed trans is just that. The final drive gear has to have a dual range that is manually selected to be an "overdrive". Finding more morons to jabber on about overdrive transmissions won't make them really exist.

The expression "overdrive" is only archaic because it no longer exists in vehicles. Your excuses just get weaker and sillier. It doesn't matter how many idiots keep piling onto this thread, the facts are the same.

Last edited by Triskelion; 09-10-2012 at 12:57 AM.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:49 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
"Overdrive" is when something is being driven excessively. The concept is similar to use of the word "overdo."

For example: "Don't overdrive your car. Drive it a little less."

I'm right, you're all wrong. Blah blah blah blah blah. Everyone listen to me.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:45 AM
Originally Posted by Triskelion
Since none of the gears have anything but a fixed ratio, they are still just a five speed transmission with no overdrive involved. It does not matter how many magazines or dictionaries you use for your excuses, or how many self-described media "experts". A five speed trans. is just that. An eight speed trans is just that. The final drive gear has to have a dual range that is manually selected to be an "overdrive". Finding more morons to jabber on about overdrive transmissions won't make them really exist.

The expression "overdrive" is only archaic because it no longer exists in vehicles. Your excuses just get weaker and sillier. It doesn't matter how many idiots keep piling onto this thread, the facts are the same.
So, just so I'm clear on this, the dictionary, Motortrend, Car and Driver, and Click and Clack all do not know cars? But I should trust a single guy on a web forum over those sources because "You can find support for the most idiotic point of view somewhere on the Internet." Can you find a citation for your claim, or do I just trust you over clearly superior sources?

Old 09-10-2012, 08:16 AM
Hey, here's a transmission manufacturer referring to any gear ratio above 1:1 as overdrive: Tremec Transmissions, Technology in Motion

Old 09-10-2012, 09:49 AM
5 Year Member
Have we declared a winner yet?

Old 09-10-2012, 10:24 AM
5 Year Member
I'm just glad someone like Triskelion is here to put all the "forum experts" in their place. Without him, this forum would be lost and terribly misinformed. This forum has never had any experts by the likes of him. I mean, he's revolutionized entire industries! With 80 people! You're all wrong, he's completely right, no holes in his argument whatsoever, respect your elders.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:44 PM
Banned
Okay, so it is clear that it is not possible to persuade obsessed, fanatical people to see reason. Just a few educated adults conceded that this is not as simple as the simple-minded claim.

Are hybrid cars locomotives? Why not? The diesel engine that you hear when a train goes by does not turn the wheels. Almost 100 years ago locomotives stopped using steam engines and were switched to diesels. The engines turn generators that make the electricity that makes DC traction motors turn the drive wheels. The rail industry changed the terminology to "electro-motive diesels".. The Electro-Motive Diesel Div. of General Motors makes guess what?

The first aircraft to be able to hover, take off, and land vertically was called a helicopter. The USMC fighter jet that hovers, takes off, and lands vertically must then be a helicopter, right? No. Harrier Jump Jet.

Auto industry and media people have been too lazy to invent accurate terminology for multi-speed FWD transaxles. To the fanatics here, fourth gear in a 1960 VW Beetle must also have been "overdrive". Nope. Just fourth gear.

By the way, in the Fit forums that are "ruled" and being killed by boredom by the crazy admin. and ex-mod on fitfreak known as "claymore", he is saying that I will be banned from fitfreak simply for not agreeing with wrong information on these forums. All that I have done is present the facts, and in doing so have not broken any forums rules. But, I have been banned before, also without breaking rules. So if the children here can't stand to have an adult conversation that covers all sides of any issue, and the forums admins. want to side with the children and ban me, be my guest.

Being thrown out of fitfreak by his fellow moderators was a fate worse than death to claymore, and he will never get over it. It took him a long time to con some other forums site into giving him the opportunity to be abusive to members and moderators the same way that he did here. The only reason the other Fit site still exists is that no one is foolish enough to buy such a loser site with the original Internet "troll" in charge.

If all that it takes to be banned is to disagree with gang mentality and inaccurate info., go right ahead.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:18 PM
The first aircraft to be able to hover, take off, and land vertically was called a helicopter. The USMC fighter jet that hovers, takes off, and lands vertically must then be a helicopter, right? No. Harrier Jump Jet.
"a type of aircraft that derives both lift and propulsion from one or two sets of horizontally revolving overhead rotors. It is capable of moving vertically and horizontally, the direction of motion being controlled by the pitch of the rotor blades."

VTOL isn't the definition of helicopter, overhead rotors is. V-22 is a helicopter (or can operate as one).

Old 09-10-2012, 03:35 PM
We'd better call all the auto manufacturers and tell them to change their dashboard displays to no longer read "O/D OFF", and to change it to "TOP GEAR OFF". They've been doing it completely wrong for years. Idiots!

Definitions do change over time, we're not talking about a 1960s car here. I know when you were a kid overdrive was a different thing, but I think it's time to let go.

And yes, 4th gear in a 1960 VW Beetle is an overdrive gear according to modern definition. It has a .8xx ratio.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:53 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
We'd better call all the auto manufacturers and tell them to change their dashboard displays to no longer read "O/D OFF", and to change it to "TOP GEAR OFF". They've been doing it completely wrong for years. Idiots!

Definitions do change over time, we're not talking about a 1960s car here. I know when you were a kid overdrive was a different thing, but I think it's time to let go.

And yes, 4th gear in a 1960 VW Beetle is an overdrive gear according to modern definition. It has a .8xx ratio.
Just a reminder- the OP was asking about an O/D button on his Fit. He doesn't have one. Now you are talking about a dash display that says "O/D OFF". Fits don't have those either. If you have a display like that, please display a photo of it here.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Just a reminder- the OP was asking about an O/D button on his Fit. He doesn't have one. Now you are talking about a dash display that says "O/D OFF". Fits don't have those either. If you have a display like that, please display a photo of it here.
No sh*%

You make 2 pages of posts arguing the definition of overdrive and calling the collective posters of FF idiots and children, and now you want to get back on the original topic?

Get your straw man out of here and stop posting.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
Moral of story is there's no "overdrive" down shift that bitch if she be Strugleing and call it a DAY

Old 09-10-2012, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
OP here is the OD button.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
is that ur honda accord or is that ur acura tl cuz that what it looks like I thought were talking about fits here

Old 09-10-2012, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wafulz
is that ur honda accord or is that ur acura tl cuz that what it looks like I thought were talking about fits here
I upgraded my interior?

Old 09-10-2012, 06:12 PM
5 Year Member
Overdrive, seat eject & arlift buttons

Here are my overdrive, seat eject and air lift buttons

Name:  whatbelongshere.jpg
Views: 1216
Size:  67.3 KB

Old 09-10-2012, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member

Old 09-10-2012, 06:31 PM
5 Year Member
WOAH NIce JDm Switch SOOZND +1 Rep For u

Old 09-10-2012, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member
Exclamation It's a wrap! Another thread bites the dust

Back on topic... Is there an overdrive button on the Fit? OP, there isn't one!

The beauty of public forums
If it was that easy to find gold then the prices would go down, everyone would have 'um... fact of the matter is you sift through ever so gently looking for that glitter and hoping it's not fool's gold... and sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't... that's what we're all trying to figure out...

Just agree to disagree and leave it at that! Passion, opinion, fact, righteousness, protocol, tact, ownership... And leave the name callings to just usernames... Just some thoughts...
Flashback...
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...gree-site.html

Last edited by Subie; 09-10-2012 at 06:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Fit Sport overdrive button