General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Hmm, I'm Interested ..

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 10:05 AM
5 Year Member
Some good comments up there!

A few more:
1. The Fit AC clutch is now set up to disengage when you put your foot down, so you don't need to fiddle with le bouton any more. Even in my previous CRV you could feel a big difference (manual trans) when the AC compressor was on, and I was constantly turning it off. Unfortunately, this is something that was never noticeable back when we all drove big V6s, but now it is.
2. The Focus is supposedly a great car (I have only driven the ST), but it's quite small inside, and can get expensive depending how you option it. Worthy of serious consideration. I would say that 160hp is a good amount of power for a small but heavy car.
3. The Elantra Touring (discontinued version) you might be able to still find new if you want the wagon form, but it's a decade old design now. I seriously considered one about four years ago, but a CRV was more capable and even more fun. There is a NEW Touring now though! However, it's a largish hatch rather than a wagon - something which is very typical in Europe for a "midsize family car" just like the Focus.
4. The CX-5 is an excellent car for a variety of reasons. I would buy this over a CR-V for sure. However, if speed is the concern, this also isn't exactly fast; a Mazda3 is 300lbs lighter with the same engine. The Skyactiv powertrains, by the way, are excellent. Very impressed with Mazda lately.

We are now talking about cars in a different weight and price class than the Fit :P

Old 08-24-2012, 10:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fujisawa
Some good comments up there!

2. The Focus is supposedly a great car (I have only driven the ST), but it's quite small inside, and can get expensive depending how you option it. Worthy of serious consideration. I would say that 160hp is a good amount of power for a small but heavy car.
4. The CX-5 is an excellent car for a variety of reasons. I would buy this over a CR-V for sure. However, if speed is the concern, this also isn't exactly fast; a Mazda3 is 300lbs lighter with the same engine. The Skyactiv powertrains, by the way, are excellent. Very impressed with Mazda lately.

We are now talking about cars in a different weight and price class than the Fit :P
Good points that is the problem to get more power or space you have to move up in class and price. The Focus ST I was looking at is rated at 252 HP and 270 lbs of torque.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
So to summarize, we all want 300hp, 40mpg highway, razor-sharp handling, comfortable and quiet ride, classic Italian sports car lines, perfect reliability, five full seats, wagon-like hauling capability, rear wheel drive, excellent snow-belt traction and a price around $22,000 ... right?

Old 08-24-2012, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by Jaebird82
Well said. I'm also 6'2 245 (soon to be 200..). Good leg room?
Head room? Leg room? No problem. It's totally built for tall people in mind. Lot's of space man. I MEAN LOTS! Go sit in one at your local dealers and see how you "Fit" in a Fit. Hahah.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fujisawa
So to summarize, we all want 300hp, 40mpg highway, razor-sharp handling, comfortable and quiet ride, classic Italian sports car lines, perfect reliability, five full seats, wagon-like hauling capability, rear wheel drive, excellent snow-belt traction and a price around $22,000 ... right?
Yes! But I am happy with my Fit actually, most of my cars have been 4 cylinder low power but good handling. Biggest car I have had was a LS400 V8 but not for power. So not coming from a Mazdaspeed3, Civic SI or GTI I have nothing to compare it to beyond the Corolla, Miata, Scion TC, Element or 318ic that I had over the past ten years. It seems to be on par with these cars in power.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:55 PM
5 Year Member
It has plenty of power to drive safely on public roads/highways. Maybe even overkill. It gets to 70 mph without any question at all. That's the highest limit in my state. You said something about less tickets an all

Old 08-24-2012, 04:26 PM
And I chuckle everytime we pass someone in a 'so called' performance car going down the road @ 60mph. Or has tailights glowing at every turn.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:47 AM
5 Year Member
I just got back last night from vacation and carried 3 adults and a dog as well as a week's worth of provisions with no problems. And in regards to it being a slow car, I don't know why people say that when I typically have a hard time NOT speeding! She is definitely not the fastest car out there but she has plenty of zip and will do more than you could ever imagine.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:18 PM
5 Year Member
Zero to 60 around 8.2 MT is not bad when comparing it to compact sedans and even some mid size sedans. I got it up to between 90 to 95 mph on I20 with three people in the car, luggage and A/C running full blast.

When I read it was slow or under power I was anticipating it slowing down on small hills like my 88 323 when the A/C was on so far I have not experience this. I have had slow down on some inclines but usually entering on a incline from a ramp but my other cars did this too.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mkane
And I chuckle everytime we pass someone in a 'so called' performance car going down the road @ 60mph.
I like to pass people (even if they didn't know we're racing) and do the turn signal flash just to mess with them.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
The car is quite slow from 0-30 or whatever you normally do, and downshifts frequently on hills, BUT ... due to the high 5th gear there is no trouble inadvertently doing 60-80 over time without much effort at all. It definitely sneaks up on you. :P