General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Paint that Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 04:51 PM
Paint that Fit?

So I've been reading comments on here about how thin the stock paint is on our Fits. It became evident to me the other day while I was cleaning my car. I rubbed a little too hard in a less than half an inch area (trying to take off some road dirt), when I noticed that I actually scrapped off a layer of paint. I now can see a faded black underneath the white. I was bit pissed off at myself for doing that. But you can't really see it unless you're on your knees and stare at it from a few inches away.

Anywho, I mentioned it to my wife the other day how cheap the stock paint job is and she mentioned getting it repainted. And out of all colors, she chooses yellow. All because she looks over my shoulder at times while on this forum and sees the yellow Fit in the top banner ^. LOL

So my question is, what should I look for in a paint job? How many coats? What type of paint? What to look for in a shop? How much should I expect to pay for a full car job? I know the possiblities are endless, but I don't want to go overboard. It's a daily driver after all, not a show car. Will $1000 get me a decent job? $2000?

Thanks for the input.

Last edited by ninjaap; 08-22-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:38 PM
No one here has custom painted their Fits before?

Old 08-22-2012, 08:49 PM
Ball park Figures

Cheapy place that take no care at all in details...lots of drips and paint over spray on your plastic parts....you get the idea... $800-$1200. You'll be lucky if the paint sticks, doesn't bubble, or is just plain obvious that it is a hack job.

A place that takes care...removes everything. Protects everything. Entry level quality paint job...No less than $6000. The labor costs kill you.

A show quality paint job will run you $15000+

This is why you have not been getting a lot of answers.

The guys who have, have done most of the prep work themselves and put back everything themselves and usually have a friend do the paint job in a shop after hours. Still with all this done and and free labor around $1000+ just for the paint products...

Last edited by Dwalbert320; 08-22-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:02 PM
I had my 2001 CR-V looked at by a decent but small shop that would work with me. If I did all the prep (remove bumpers, trim, etc. and wetsand) he would only charge me $2800. Paintjobs are something where the old saying applies, you get what you pay for. The price of paint supplies has gone through the roof in the last few years, and it takes many hours for even an experienced painter to put down a base coat and a couple of clear coats. Add in final sanding and polishing, and it's expensive.

To put it in perspective, most decent motorcycle flame paint jobs start at $1000, and that's for a cheap shop doing a tank and two fenders.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:33 PM
Wow!!! Thanks for the replies. Didn't realize it was so expensive. I guess the short of it is its not worth it.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:52 PM
do a vinyl wrap

Old 08-22-2012, 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by krunk13
do a vinyl wrap
Hmmmmm... from my quick search its a wrap for decals and graphics? That's not what I had in mind. I'd like one nice color.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by ninjaap
Hmmmmm... from my quick search its a wrap for decals and graphics? That's not what I had in mind. I'd like one nice color.
You can wrap the car all one color if you want

Old 08-22-2012, 11:43 PM
Or you can dip it for about $200 which seems to be the new fad...... plus minimal labor.

If you dont like it after its done..... simply take it off.
Dipyourcar.com

After he did it in red.... he didnt like it and now its blue.

Look into it. Its a cheap alternative with brilliant results. There are several youtube videos on it, and their website provide alot of useful information as well. I never heard of the stuff until recently but it looks pretty neat.

Last edited by CTS4MATION; 08-22-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:04 AM
5 Year Member
It would work better to trade for a new one in the color you want, or repaint to the same color. Changing colors - door jams, under hood etc don't match, and masking/edges have to be absolutely perfect for decent look.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:08 AM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
You can wrap the car all one color if you want
Hahaha! I knew someone would suggest that!

Old 08-23-2012, 01:09 AM
Originally Posted by CTS4MATION
Or you can dip it for about $200 which seems to be the new fad...... plus minimal labor.

If you dont like it after its done..... simply take it off.
Dipyourcar.com

After he did it in red.... he didnt like it and now its blue.
Plasti Dip Whole Car Matte Red Cadillac CTS-V - YouTube

Look into it. Its a cheap alternative with brilliant results. There are several youtube videos on it, and their website provide alot of useful information as well. I never heard of the stuff until recently but it looks pretty neat.
Say wah?! Is this the same stiff they use on rims?

Old 08-23-2012, 01:13 AM
Originally Posted by AC7880
It would work better to trade for a new one in the color you want, or repaint to the same color. Changing colors - door jams, under hood etc don't match, and masking/edges have to be absolutely perfect for decent look.
I guess if I'm going to do the same color, then I'd just do certain sections, like the hood and rear bumper. I suppose that is the cheapest alternative.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:12 AM
I'll probably get a lot of shit for saying this ... But check out macco!

I've painted my car with them three times and have gotten each one of their levels of paint jobs. Granted the most expensive was worth it. I also waxed/washed/detailed my car often and probably extended the life of the paint.

The lowest level can start at like 200$ and take no more than a week if you get it in early. I've heard a lot of pros and cons of choosing them and I never had issues. The doors and jams are about 150$ each. Go to a macro In a good area, think of the people they hired that they could hire in bad areas and where they got their skills/training from. I've only had over spray once and it was inside a wheel well. Don't bother trying to prep the car yourself and ask them if they are willing to paint the fenders bumpers separate.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:21 AM
Originally Posted by Ladylockness
I'll probably get a lot of shit for saying this ... But check out macco!

I've painted my car with them three times and have gotten each one of their levels of paint jobs. Granted the most expensive was worth it. I also waxed/washed/detailed my car often and probably extended the life of the paint.

The lowest level can start at like 200$ and take no more than a week if you get it in early. I've heard a lot of pros and cons of choosing them and I never had issues. The doors and jams are about 150$ each. Go to a macro In a good area, think of the people they hired that they could hire in bad areas and where they got their skills/training from. I've only had over spray once and it was inside a wheel well. Don't bother trying to prep the car yourself and ask them if they are willing to paint the fenders bumpers separate.
Funny you should mention MAACO! I'm on their website this very minute! But no pricing online so I'm going to have to pay them a visit.

I also came across this local shop's site: AllPro Paint & Body | We beat Any Estimate. The $899 package looks good to me and it comes with a 10 yr warranty, I see no reason why this would be a bad idea over a $6000 paint job for a daily driver.

Oh... and thanks for the advice about going to a MAACO in a good area.

Last edited by ninjaap; 08-23-2012 at 05:27 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:47 AM
5 Year Member
as mentioned, a clor change is goign to be very expensive, and should really include pulling the engine, etc to paint everything. its ugly to open up an engine hood and see the bay painted a different color than the rest of the car. a shitty, half assed paint job will destoy a cars value more than the rock chips, missing paint and scratches.

if you want to paint it, id suggest staying with white. maybe change it to a different shade though..somthing that wont be as noticable as a yellow car w/ white engine bay?
lexus has a really nice pearl white. or maybe look into championship white.

with that said, 3 coats of color and 3 coats of clear is what i prefer in a paint job.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by NIGHTHAWKSI
as mentioned, a clor change is goign to be very expensive, and should really include pulling the engine, etc to paint everything. its ugly to open up an engine hood and see the bay painted a different color than the rest of the car. a shitty, half assed paint job will destoy a cars value more than the rock chips, missing paint and scratches.

if you want to paint it, id suggest staying with white. maybe change it to a different shade though..somthing that wont be as noticable as a yellow car w/ white engine bay?
lexus has a really nice pearl white. or maybe look into championship white.

with that said, 3 coats of color and 3 coats of clear is what i prefer in a paint job.
Good point. I think I will stay with white then.

Any benefit over with what you prefer to what the shop im looking at is offering (4 color & 2 clear)? im sure I could request 3 color & 3 clear instead, but wanted your expanded opinion, please.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ninjaap
Good point. I think I will stay with white then.

Any benefit over with what you prefer to what the shop im looking at is offering (4 color & 2 clear)? im sure I could request 3 color & 3 clear instead, but wanted your expanded opinion, please.
you only NEED enough color to cover the old. i have foudn that 3 is plenty sufficient. the more color, usually the darker and deeper it will look, and of course ensures coverage. however a competant painter should cover everything by the 3rd coat.

the thicker the clear adds more protection (less rock chips) as well as adds depth to the paint. i would not go any less than 3 coats of clear. also, orange peel is pretty much inevitable. so your goign to want them to wetsand/polish it(or do it yourself) which removes some of the clear.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by NIGHTHAWKSI
you only NEED enough color to cover the old. i have foudn that 3 is plenty sufficient. the more color, usually the darker and deeper it will look, and of course ensures coverage. however a competant painter should cover everything by the 3rd coat.

the thicker the clear adds more protection (less rock chips) as well as adds depth to the paint. i would not go any less than 3 coats of clear. also, orange peel is pretty much inevitable. so your goign to want them to wetsand/polish it(or do it yourself) which removes some of the clear.
Had to search orange peel. I've learned something new again! Thanks! You and everyone else on these forums are awesome!

Old 08-23-2012, 01:29 PM
OP, what year and how many miles are on your car? Do you plan on keeping it a long time?

Some Maacos do decent work, others terrible work, so if you do decide to go that route, take a look at some of their previous jobs or jobs in progress and check online opinions of shops. All Maacos are not equal as far as quality of work. Painting cars is as much an art as anything else and results will vary from painter to painter.

If I were you i'd do Championship white like has already been said here. The pearl white on the new Lexus is beautiful as well.

Quick Reply: Paint that Fit?