General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Paint that Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
OP, what year and how many miles are on your car? Do you plan on keeping it a long time?

Some Maacos do decent work, others terrible work, so if you do decide to go that route, take a look at some of their previous jobs or jobs in progress and check online opinions of shops. All Maacos are not equal as far as quality of work. Painting cars is as much an art as anything else and results will vary from painter to painter.

If I were you i'd do Championship white like has already been said here. The pearl white on the new Lexus is beautiful as well.
Its a 2010 with only about 8000 miles. Just bought the car a few weeks ago. Yes we do plan to keep this car for a long time. This and the civic will be our daily driver and plan to lease another car for the weekends.

Definitely good advice about looking up opinions of the shop.

I was leaning more towards the pearl white, because its my wife's car and I think that color would fit her. I'd ask her opinion, but I'm sure I'll have to show her a real world example first.

I also thought about my old Eclipse I had in college. The shop had painted it to something they called platinum silver with blue pearl. It turned out really great. It was silver during the day, but during overcasts and at night, it had a blueish tint to it. So I was thinking maybe white with blue pearl. I assume the blue pearl refers to the clear coat? Is that correct? Any opinions or has anyone seen this done before?

Old 08-23-2012, 02:11 PM
Yes, the blue or pearl is mixed into the clearcoat, several coats are needed to give the pearl the depth it needs to color change like that.

It's for your wife? She'll probably love that Lexus pearl white, it's got a very faint blue tint to it that really sparkles in the sun.

I ask about the age and miles because repaints usually lower the value of the car, and people start asking questions and making assumptions when you try to sell it.

"Why was it repainted? Was it in an accident? How good is the quality of the work? Will the paint hold up?"

Etc. etc.

I'm planning on repainting mine some day (my wife wants me to anyway, even she thinks the paint is garbage haha) but i'm not too concerned about the resale, I plan on driving it in one form or another till the wheels fall off. By the time I even think of getting rid of it i'm sure the factory paint will have looked like crap if I didn't repaint it anyway.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:30 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ninjaap
So I've been reading comments on here about how thin the stock paint is on our Fits. It became evident to me the other day while I was cleaning my car. I rubbed a little too hard in a less than half an inch area (trying to take off some road dirt), when I noticed that I actually scrapped off a layer of paint. I now can see a faded black underneath the white. I was bit pissed off at myself for doing that. But you can't really see it unless you're on your knees and stare at it from a few inches away.

Anywho, I mentioned it to my wife the other day how cheap the stock paint job is and she mentioned getting it repainted. And out of all colors, she chooses yellow. All because she looks over my shoulder at times while on this forum and sees the yellow Fit in the top banner ^. LOL

So my question is, what should I look for in a paint job? How many coats? What type of paint? What to look for in a shop? How much should I expect to pay for a full car job? I know the possiblities are endless, but I don't want to go overboard. It's a daily driver after all, not a show car. Will $1000 get me a decent job? $2000?

Thanks for the input.

$5~$7k usually for quality car re-paint. hardly worth it on a car of this price range imho unless you're using the car for concourse competiton.

just get the panel that you scuffed repainted. GL!

Old 08-23-2012, 07:41 PM
Check out the white from a 2010 Toyota corolla. It's almost paper white and looks good even when dirty. It pops. I painted my pearl white del sol to that color.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:08 PM
Say wah?! Is this the same stiff they use on rims?
Yep, it has many applications for use.

Its about the cheapest alternative.

Like others have said, if you do plan on repainting it it would be cheaper and more cost effective just to sell the car and buy what you want.

Around here you can get one sprayed for about $1000.... However my body shop is about $6000. You definitely get what you pay for when it comes to a quality paint job and on a new car you wouldnt want it to be a botched job.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:56 PM
I think $899 paint job from the shop I posted a link to is worth trying out. It may not be a $6000 paint job, but I think it's a big enough improvement over stock. And with a 10 yr warranty, I think that should ease many years of worry.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:20 AM
5 Year Member
I think $899 paint job from the shop I posted a link to is worth trying out. It may not be a $6000 paint job, but I think it's a big enough improvement over stock. And with a 10 yr warranty, I think that should ease many years of worry.
i guess you can try, but id be hesitant.

my father jsut got doen painting his 67 mustang himsself (used to own a body shop). yes this car is a littel larger than the fit, but just to show you how painting adds up. these are all dupont products.
gallon of paint (he didnt need it all, but used about half): $800/gallon < this varys greatly depending on the color you choose
half gallon primer: $300
gallon of clear: $400
this does not include the reducers, hardeners, tape, paper, sandpaper, filler(if needed) ...about $2-300 more. and of course his time.

assuming the surface area of the fit is 2/3 that of a 67 mustang, thats still $1000+ in just supplies. and these are by no means high end paint products.

i guess paint is paint as long as it isnt obviously flawed and is warrentied. :shrug:

Old 08-24-2012, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by NIGHTHAWKSI
i guess you can try, but id be hesitant.

my father jsut got doen painting his 67 mustang himsself (used to own a body shop). yes this car is a littel larger than the fit, but just to show you how painting adds up. these are all dupont products.
gallon of paint (he didnt need it all, but used about half): $800/gallon < this varys greatly depending on the color you choose
half gallon primer: $300
gallon of clear: $400
this does not include the reducers, hardeners, tape, paper, sandpaper, filler(if needed) ...about $2-300 more. and of course his time.

assuming the surface area of the fit is 2/3 that of a 67 mustang, thats still $1000+ in just supplies. and these are by no means high end paint products.

i guess paint is paint as long as it isnt obviously flawed and is warrentied. :shrug:
I believe you can't really compare small mom and pop shops to chains, because I would assume that larger shops buy their supplies in bulk and can get them a whole cheaper.

I guess, I just refuse to accept the fact that my choice should be limited to a $6000+ paint job or none at all for an $18K compact daily driver. That's 1/3-1/2 the cost! That's just insane. Of course, if I had 67 Mustang, I'd be critical about which shop I'd take it to. That type of car deserves more attention to detail.