General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.
View Poll Results: If you had to choose
Keep Stock height and purchase aftermarket wheels
45.10%
Purchase lowering springs and keep the stock wheels
54.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

If you had to make a choice

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 10:57 PM
If you had to make a choice

Would you pick:

1- Keep the stock wheels and purchase lowering springs.

2- Purchase aftermarket wheels and keep the Fit stock height

Old 08-10-2012, 11:12 PM
5 Year Member
Lower before wheels.

Every time.

Only time I've ever bought wheels before lowering was my Advans and even then I didn't mount until it was lowered.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
Mmm .. tough one. Since I haven't done either :P But I can take a stab. Let's assume you'll either get Swift springs or lighter (Enkei?) wheels, both excellent and common choices.

Aside from the looks - you'll lower the car with springs or have different non-stock wheels - I think the following:

1. With springs, you will reduce the body roll and "wobbly"ness on transitions. People say that it makes the car "like it was supposed to be", right? So I assume much more confident, controlled body movement - stock car sometimes feels like it's balancing on top of an unstable platform and I bet this modification fixes that for the most part. Downside is, harsher impacts from the stiffer springs (the Swifts seem to be acceptable to people, all others mostly seem to lead people to revert to stock swiftly ... hehe sorry!).

2. With lighter wheels, you reduce unsprung weight. Hitting bumps you should have quicker up-and-down movement of the wheels, and they'll be less noticable. Because the stock springs are controlling slightly less mass, you can probably assume this will also reduce the "unstable" feeling that can arise over bumps. But I suspect any leaning in turns will be no different than normal.

I haven't made a choice for you though :P .. I also note that another great modification is better (and lighter!) tires. But I'm pretty interested from the input from people who HAVE done one or both.

It's funny that despite the distinct lack of power, the three major modifications on the car are 1) tires 2) wheels 3) suspension. I guess if it were up to me, I would do things in this order - mostly because, if you were going to do all three, you should probably do them in this order to get a better sense of the effect of each. And realistically, 1 and 2 are done together.

My two cents. Feel free to poke holes

Old 08-10-2012, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
I've owned two cars on lowering springs.

They do not change how the car handles in any positive sense. They are an aesthetic piece, no more, no less.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:35 PM
Stock ride height.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
I've owned two cars on lowering springs.

They do not change how the car handles in any positive sense. They are an aesthetic piece, no more, no less.
And that comment saved me $300. Thanks.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:57 PM
Everytime I see a car with oem wheels and lowered I think...."ok he couldnt afford wheels so he cut the springs....silly ricer"......

Id go wheels because no matter how you lower it or what you use.....it still looks like you cheaped out and cut the springs........ IMO.

Ive done it to several friends cars when we were younger so Im guilty too. However Ive never lowered a car, I put cannons on mine.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:02 AM
Banned
If I would have the choice I would select the latter option that is I would go for buying the aftermarket wheels and then stock the fit parts in good condition. In that case I would also save a lot. So I think that last option is good for me.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CTS4MATION
Everytime I see a car with oem wheels and lowered I think...."ok he couldnt afford wheels so he cut the springs....silly ricer"......

Id go wheels because no matter how you lower it or what you use.....it still looks like you cheaped out and cut the springs........ IMO.

Ive done it to several friends cars when we were younger so Im guilty too. However Ive never lowered a car, I put cannons on mine.
There in lies the problem... you're just like my mother, too worried about what others think.

I went with Swifts (again, I believe it's the difference between lowering springs and springs that happen to lower), shortly before going aftermarket wheels (2 months later). When I bought the springs, I hadn't planned on buying new wheels anytime soon (just a tire blowout pushed that schedule up for me because I bought it with new tires).

I don't care if people think I "cheap out" and cut my springs. I know that I put effort and money into it... and the only opinion that matters, is mine.

I took an ELEVEN THOUSAND mile road trip, and enjoyed (almost) every moment of it... some sections through the midwest are just too f-ing boring. Those are the springs I put in. Those are the tires I bought for the wheels I chose. The headlight, seat covers, armrest, etc. Were my choices. If "you" or some random passerby doesn't like it... too bad, boo freaking hoo.

To dwalbert...

figure out what it is you want. Do the requisite research and pick the parts that fit in your budget and what you want. If your budget needs help, save a little bit of cash and wait as long as you need to.

If you spend too much when you really can't afford to, or compromise and let others sway you into something you can't stand 100% behind... you're only going to end up unhappy.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:15 AM
5 Year Member
If you are going for very light wheels, getting them wins out over springs.... If you're planning on buying wheels that look nice but weigh within only a couple of pounds less or heavier than the stock wheels I'd say go for springs...Swift springs are a major improvement over OEM springs.... Light wheels and Swift Mach Sport springs will make more of an improvement to your GE than anything else you can do to it.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
If you are going for very light wheels, getting them wins out over springs.... If you're planning on buying wheels that look nice but weigh within only a couple of pounds less or heavier than the stock wheels I'd say go for springs...Swift springs are a major improvement over OEM springs.... Light wheels and Swift Mach Sport springs will make more of an improvement to your GE than anything else you can do to it.
That assumes you're going for performance/function over looks/form.

Some people just don't care about "performance"... hence why there are those that worry about the cut springs LOOK.

Let's face it, there are those out there that "modify" the Fit ONLY in the looks department. They don't care about how it rides/handles and all that... just how it looks.

And that's why I suggest to the OP to decide on what it is he wants. Are the springs/wheels for looks or performance?

Old 08-11-2012, 07:39 AM
5 Year Member
Such a huge difference in price between the 2 so why is this really a comparison for purchasing? What does your budget really allow right now?

I do not agree that springs are only for looks, my old DC5R Integra popped its motor the day after installing SWIFT springs on stock struts while doing gymkhana (real gymkhana and not that Ken Block gymkhana), the car pulled so many more G's due to the handling improvement that the "famous K series oil creep" happened and the bearings were starved of lubrication on cylinders 2 and 3 and rod knock took over.

With that said, I will agree a majority of springs are for looks and do more damage than good to stock struts.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:41 AM
5 Year Member
From my experience with modifications I would definitely have to suggest beginning with the suspension. I have not personally added suspension goodies to my Fit yet, but I do know that in stock form the Fit makes me very nervous when doing spirited driving.

When I owned a 2005 Scion xB I had the same nerve racking feeling as I had with my Fit handling wise. So I installed lowering springs and KYB struts/shocks. From the first initial experience of those modifications I was instantly more confident in my ride's handling characteristics and I actually enjoyed it much more than I already had.

That is why I believe lowering it first is the best option of the two. And on the plus side, once lowered new wheels will look even better in my opinion.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:47 AM
5 Year Member
I lowered my car I wanted a stiffer ride, a lower center of gravity and of course looks. Of course it is new and you do these things in the Northeast before the first winter when road salt will start to rust the bolts on your suspension.

The first weekend I had the car I drove 60 miles in a storm the car felt like it was pushed all over the road. It felt bouncy and I was not confident in cornering because of the body roll. Since I installed my Eibachs I feel I have decrease these attributes but not eliminated. I hoping to improve the handling a little more with a Progress rear sway bar and a Beatrush under panel but still researching these items.

At the same time with the lowering springs I felt the Sport wheels on my 2012 looked better and rather then replace them with expensive wheels to have to change every winter I would buy better tires when replacement is needed.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by Goobers
There in lies the problem... you're just like my mother, too worried about what others think.
I didnt say a single word about someone else thinks, can you quote that for me!?. I said what I think, and I think a lowered car on a nice set of coilovers looks just like a lowered car that has cut springs because somebody couldnt afford to do it the right way.
HAHA believe me I dont care what anybody else thinks. It was my opinion just like every other thing said on here is someones opinion.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:41 PM
No fighting please.I thought of this question because yes I will end up on Swift springs before anything else. In order I intend to

1- Cold air intake- done
2- RSB - done
3- Swifts
4- Better tires on stock OEM sport wheels.
5- Wheels

And the number one reason I wanted to post this poll was to get rid of the other one...I don't know how long this thread will stay civil but so far I really dig the comments as I am sure you all do as well! Have a great weekend!

Old 08-11-2012, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member
Coilovers + stock wheels = ricer

dafuq?

Old 08-11-2012, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member
Every time i put my stock wheels back on my car (after tracking it on my Kosei's and track tires) i wonder why i ever bought my blue AM wheels (don't have em anymore), the stocks look GREAT on a lowered GE, wish the came a little closer to the edge of the wheelwell, but if really bothered me i'd just get a couple spacers for the rear
my .02

Old 08-11-2012, 07:15 PM
Mike 410B said he would lower the car before investing money into wheels. He also said it wasn’t for performance. Just that’s where the money should go first.

Fujisawa said he would get springs first as well not so much for looks but because it does improve performance. With lighter wheels you would improve handling simply because of the weight reduction the springs have to handle.

Generally speaking I believe that the lower the car the better handling it will have. There are cases I’m sure that with the wrong equipment this would be false. But still…..It makes sense that a lowered car will have gravity working for it. Weight on the car obviously makes a difference like Fujisawa says…But if I save 10 lbs on wheels and then put my Hockey bag full of equipment in the back…kinda negates the fact that I have lighter wheels. But if I had a pure racing car then weight plays a part on handling like Jujisawa rightly states. Point taken. I am going on a diet.

Mkane is a skeptic at heart. God love ya! You keep the conversation sane my good man.

CTS4mation states that lowering a car on stock wheels looks like you cheaped out. It’s not a bad point. Who wants to look like…..what’s the word….I think he means tacky….like you don’t know what the hell you’re doing. We can all agree that we want our cars to look like we care…Hence why I wash my car twice a week.

Mitcheller said he would rather keep the stock springs and invest the money in wheels….and maybe save some cash…from what I have read on the net…wheels will send you upwards of $1400 with some new rubber. Maybe he knows something I don’t but springs will run me less than $500 after shipping etc.

Goobers read the whole thread and said this is BS. You buy the springs not because they lower the car but because they are just better than OEM. Period. Then he challenged me to do my research and buy the parts for what I am trying to accomplish. Point taken.

Texas Coyote said that swifts win over wheels unless the wheels are feather weights. Ok point taken.

Then Goobers came back and said woah hey now! Decide. Is this for looks or for performance. Ok. Then by that advice swifts are still ok because they perform better than OEM. The drop is just a pleasant afterthought.

CJECPA said that lowering the car helped in inclement weather and that mattered over wheels. He wasn’t 100% satisfied but he hopes the Sway Bar would bridge the gap to perfection. Note….I installed the sway bar…Huge difference in handling. Recommended.

Vanct says a lowered car on stock wheels is just….plain ….wrong. No actual performance gain all RICE. Ok point taken.

VTECFIT1 says he has no idea why he ever bought performance wheels…but I sooooo agree with him when he says the OEM wheels look like they are sunk in too much.

With all this info this, this will be my course of action.

The way my car looks matters. The way my car handles matters just as much. The way I spend my dollars matter as well.

I spent my very early days as a Fit owner putting the obvious changes to its looks. Emblems and Fin antenna, JDM’ed the rear wiper. I added a DIY lower grill to protect the AC condenser (that was a no brainer).

Then after having conversations with guys like Triskelion, whom I trust, I put in the PRM intake. From what I’ve read no point in adding any sort of exhaust since it will take away from performance. Something to do with back pressure. But I am sure I will get corrected if I am wrong. Please do correct me if I am wrong.

Then I put in the Progress sway bar. Am very happy with this. It turns on a dime. I feel more secure with it. It doesn’t feel squirrely anymore when I mash the gas in a turn or even in a straight line trying to pass in heavy traffic over uneven roads. Seems to have lessen the jostling around in high winds. No wonder these things sell like hot cakes.

Still there are some improvements to be made to my Fit.

Next I will get the Swift springs. They will accomplish two things. One I believe they will add to the performance and safety of the car by being lower to the ground and two, they will add a nice touch to the look of it.

Still…the damned offset of the OEM set up….uggh. It looks so…narrow…Spacers? Logic and advice seems to say they will put too much pressure on the existing suspension. I believe spacers will hurt reliability in the suspension system over time.

Tires would help. In width I mean. If I get some grippy 205 then it would look wider. May not be as good as a decent pair of 195 because of the weight difference but might add to the look I am going for. A bit beefier. If that makes sense.

But I wouldn’t want to replace my OEM Dunlops until the tread wears out. That would be a waste of money IMO.

So yeah…

My list as of now stands like this

1- PRM intake – done
2- Progress anti sway bar –done

3- Swift springs – will add to the performance and looks over OEM springs. Without going full coilover there are no better shocks than the OEM. So says Joey Fits. OEM shocks are better quality than the others. So be it. ( no more talk of rear Monroes or KYB whatever..). So Swifts over OEM shocks is the best combo. Done.

4- Then in time when the tires wear out I will get some new rubber. Wider (205's) and grippier. Hopefully will add to the stance of the car. Take care of the big offset of OEM.

5- Then after a couple years when I tire of the OEM sport wheels I will invest in new wheels…Just to make it new again.

Long rant!

Feel free to comment.

Last edited by Dwalbert320; 08-11-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
Like I said before people on springs are high on the placebo effect. They fall into the American thinking that stiffer = sportier thus better.

People who say lowered on stock wheels should never be done are silly. Having aftermarket wheels with stock height will accentuate the wheel gap and it'll look like you went with the discount tire special regardless of what you spent.

Btw I'm lowered with aggressive Aero on stock hubcaps. Come at me.

Quick Reply: If you had to make a choice