General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.
View Poll Results: If you had to choose
Keep Stock height and purchase aftermarket wheels
45.10%
Purchase lowering springs and keep the stock wheels
54.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

If you had to make a choice

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
Like I said before people on springs are high on the placebo effect. They fall into the American thinking that stiffer = sportier thus better.

People who say lowered on stock wheels should never be done are silly. Having aftermarket wheels with stock height will accentuate the wheel gap and it'll look like you went with the discount tire special regardless of what you spent.

Btw I'm lowered with aggressive Aero on stock hubcaps. Come at me.
Are you lowered on good quality springs. Do you still have your stock springs?

If yes to BOTH, then find a highway on ramp (or off ramp if you're feeling braver) that doesn't see much traffic (and isn't observed by cops).

Take that ramp as fast as you can, or rather, as comfortable with. Then, swap your springs to the stock and try again. And finally, for back to the lowered springs for the final runs.

If you do indeed have good quality springs, they should allow you to feel more comfortable at higher speeds. Even if your tires are just about done and need replacing, because the effects you feel will still be there. And that is body roll... and the speed at which your tires will start screaming.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by Goobers
Are you lowered on good quality springs. Do you still have your stock springs?

If yes to BOTH, then find a highway on ramp (or off ramp if you're feeling braver) that doesn't see much traffic (and isn't observed by cops).

Take that ramp as fast as you can, or rather, as comfortable with. Then, swap your springs to the stock and try again. And finally, for back to the lowered springs for the final runs.

If you do indeed have good quality springs, they should allow you to feel more comfortable at higher speeds. Even if your tires are just about done and need replacing, because the effects you feel will still be there. And that is body roll... and the speed at which your tires will start screaming.
So what you are saying is that with quality springs, such a Swifts, if they lower the car or not, will give you better handling?

Logic that is hard to refute. So if you had quality springs AND lowered the car would be a perfect combo. I mean an F1 car is about an inch from the ground.

I am having a hard time with Mike's post. You say that being lowered is a myth that every body follows then the next sentence you say that it would be foolish to buy expensive wheels a stock height because it accentuates the gap...can you please take a position? which springs do you recommend, OEM or Swifts....coupled with what rims OEM or Aftermarket.....Dunlops or another brand?....I am not being difficult here....I don't think....just say your peace....Are you just saying that lowered on OEM wheels is just fine in your opinion? Frankly that would confirm my position.

Dwayne

Last edited by Dwalbert320; 08-11-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:23 AM
5 Year Member
Let me explain:

Lowered on stock wheels, looks nice enough for the time being, unsightly wheel gap reduced, also with some tyres the ride won't be compromised too badly.

Lowered on aftermarket wheels: The best option, also most expensive, and not what you're asking about.

Stock height/stock wheels: Nothing wrong with this.

Stock Height/Aftermarket wheels: Looks silly for aforementioned reasons.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:45 AM
my last car, i put aftermarket wheels on before suspension and it handled like crap... just before i sold it i installed springs/shock combo and it made a a massive difference, completely different car (but it also had cusco fr strut bars)

I have learnt know to firstly spend money on quality suspension and wait for wheels (unfortunately my wheels are being built so still waiting)
Honestly, i have driven mine on stock springs, on lowered springs and now coilovers and coilovers>everything

Old 08-12-2012, 11:02 AM
5 Year Member
Old 08-12-2012, 11:12 AM
5 Year Member
Mike Kojima seems to agree with me:

The Ultimate Handling Guide Part V: The One Unforgivable Sin, Overlowering Your Car

Feel free to google him, he's about as credible as they come.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:34 AM
5 Year Member
Old 08-12-2012, 01:57 PM
I love stock wheels on lowered cars! Best of both worlds. I used to have a lowered del sol on vx rims and just made the car even more lower. Ha

Old 08-12-2012, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
After installed my Eibach Name:  Eibachinstalled2-1.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  49.8 KB

Old 08-12-2012, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by cjecpa
After installed my Eibach
Looks great, almost makes me like those wheels now. But I went with the stock hubcaps. Diamond racing wheels or these new forged iss wheels in pink are in my fits future

Old 08-12-2012, 05:16 PM
After installed my Eibach
Ah see that looks nice! Thanks for the picture.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah and it took him 8 days to go like 1500 miles. That car has a lot of cool parts but his execution sucks.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member
According to Empire Roadster end result Name:  IMG_3124.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  100.0 KB

Old 08-12-2012, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the comments on my car.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
Yeah and it took him 8 days to go like 1500 miles. That car has a lot of cool parts but his execution sucks.
I just think that car looks ridiculous....in the worst sense...Waste of energy.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:42 PM
5 Year Member
When you have your lowering springs, and a little more money in the wallet, you'll want to look at these: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-...djuster-2.html

Since many of the available springs are also stiffer, not just lower, the roll isn't necessarily increased, but a roll centre adjuster will correct the incorrect physics associated with the lower height.

Just thought I'd mention this...

Old 08-14-2012, 04:36 AM
I like aftermarket wheels there pretty cool and the ride height for me is an issue due to where i live so it would stay at a stock height

Old 08-14-2012, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
I prefer lowered ride height on oem wheels as the 1st mod

Old 08-14-2012, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by UmmFit
When you have your lowering springs, and a little more money in the wallet, you'll want to look at these: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-...djuster-2.html

Since many of the available springs are also stiffer, not just lower, the roll isn't necessarily increased, but a roll centre adjuster will correct the incorrect physics associated with the lower height.

Just thought I'd mention this...
That entirely depends on the amount you lower it. Not all springs dump the car. And you don't know the change in the relationship between the CoG and roll center until you calculate where both actually are, will be, or was. And just like springs, not all cars are designed the same.

And just fyi, that's a part for the 1st Gen, while OP has 2nd Gen.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
That entirely depends on the amount you lower it. Not all springs dump the car. And you don't know the change in the relationship between the CoG and roll center until you calculate where both actually are, will be, or was. And just like springs, not all cars are designed the same.

And just fyi, that's a part for the 1st Gen, while OP has 2nd Gen.
Hence why I mentioned that it's something to look at, since it very likely could be a factor, and if the OP was interested then at least there's some information about it.

Quick Reply: If you had to make a choice