General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit Lunges When on Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 07:01 PM
Fit Lunges When on Cruise Control

Anyone else having this problem? My Fit is great but I have one problem. Whenever I am going up a hill (and it can be a grade that is not steep), my car lunges forward up to 4 or 5. It does not matter whether I am driving at 60 MPH or 70 Mph.

Does anyone know what is causing this?

Thanks.

Old 07-27-2006, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
isn't it switching gears to keep it at a constant speed?

Old 07-27-2006, 07:12 PM
Yes, it is shifting gears to keep it at a constant speed, but it lunges forward and is very uncomfortable to drive that way. I'm sure it's not great for gas mileage. Sometimes, I take cruise off when approaching a hill (and it doesn't have to be a steep one). I've had cruise control on other HOndas and have never experienced this.

Old 07-27-2006, 09:20 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Originally Posted by jdueber
Anyone else having this problem? My Fit is great but I have one problem. Whenever I am going up a hill (and it can be a grade that is not steep), my car lunges forward up to 4 or 5. It does not matter whether I am driving at 60 MPH or 70 Mph.

Does anyone know what is causing this?

Thanks.
it also coudl be mental. your body may not feel right when the car accelerates when your foot did not press the pedal. the same happens to me in engine braking. even tho i would brake the same power as an engine brake, the engine brake feels much stronger. it's cuz my body is confused what is going on and is overly sensitive.

i drive a stick, and i feel lunging, so no way the cpu is shifting for me.

Old 07-27-2006, 11:52 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
mine does it every once in awhile when cruising at 70mph...

Old 07-28-2006, 07:28 AM
I just drove back cross the states for the 2nd time in my FIT, (9k+ miles on the speedo), cruise worked fine. Uphill, my car goes to a lower gear, but holds the speed. Take it to a dealer to get fixed.

Old 07-28-2006, 07:58 AM
Mine down shifts also to get up hills/inclines. It just doesn't have the power to be able to haul itself up hills so it has to downshift. I doubt anything is wrong so the dealer can't help you. I don't do a lot of highway driving, but here's what I do to keep the downshift from happening - when I see the hill/incline coming up, I give it a little gas ahead of time. The extra speed gets me up the hill without the downshift drama.

Old 07-28-2006, 08:15 AM
5 Year Member
I leave mine in D around town. When I hit the road, I put it in S and go to manual-mode. So, on the highway, I'm in M5 unless I come to a big hill. I will manually downshift to M4 for the hill and then back to M5 when I reach the summit.

Just my $0.02

Old 07-29-2006, 01:25 AM
thats not a big deal all the cars ive used cruise control in does this same thing. its only compensating for the loss of speed going up hill.

Old 07-29-2006, 02:39 AM
Originally Posted by quangalang
thats not a big deal all the cars ive used cruise control in does this same thing. its only compensating for the loss of speed going up hill.
which is why honda needs to ship CVT fits. every geared AT sucks donkey balls.

Old 07-29-2006, 03:08 AM
probably has to do with the drive-by-wire set-up on the Fit's. Throttle plate is electronically controlled now; I think it has to do with this.. You can check with the dealer 1st though. I believe the throttle plate is controlled by the Throttle-position-sensor and it gets it's signal from the ecm. This system in general may make "cruise control" feel more jerky vs cable-type throttle control systems... just my opinion...

Old 07-29-2006, 02:26 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Originally Posted by bani
which is why honda needs to ship CVT fits. every geared AT sucks donkey balls.
CVT would do the same. lets say the CVT software prefers 3000RPM. when you go uphill, it'll drop to say 2800. the CVT will "downshift" to get to a ratio where 3000 is easy to maintain. when you go flat again, it'll go 3200rpm, and upshift so it'll be 3000rpm again.

Old 07-29-2006, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by Gordio
CVT would do the same. lets say the CVT software prefers 3000RPM. when you go uphill, it'll drop to say 2800. the CVT will "downshift" to get to a ratio where 3000 is easy to maintain. when you go flat again, it'll go 3200rpm, and upshift so it'll be 3000rpm again.
what a CVT will never do is the constant downshit/upshift hunting you get which is the curse of geared ATs. there is simply no comparison between geared AT and CVT. CVT is far more efficient, doesn't hunt, and is 100,000x smoother. there is simply no lunging with CVT, which is the original poster's complaint about the fit. a CVT fit would never experience lunging.

Old 07-29-2006, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by honda07fit
Mine down shifts also to get up hills/inclines. It just doesn't have the power to be able to haul itself up hills so it has to downshift. I doubt anything is wrong so the dealer can't help you. I don't do a lot of highway driving, but here's what I do to keep the downshift from happening - when I see the hill/incline coming up, I give it a little gas ahead of time. The extra speed gets me up the hill without the downshift drama.
Yep, exactly the same for me. I just drove our new Fit to Las Vegas from Phoenix and there are a lot of grade changes. At 65-70+, with cruise on, going uphill she would downshift to 4 ( sometimes 3 if the A/C was on) and stay there until she was up to speed. I did NOT experience the constant 'seeking for a gear' that others have mentioned. I just figured that going uphill @ 70 MPH with the A/C was just a bit much for her.

In D, I tried upshifting, but the minute she got control back, she downshifted - I'll have to try it in S next trip....